View Full Version : Safety in Charter flight aircraft

Commander Zak
16th Jan 2007, 09:00
Does anyone know who checks that seating is arrranged in such a way as to meet the CAAs requirement for evacuation ?
I was recently on an Charter flight and have very serious reservations about the passengers access to exit points to get out in case of a fire or explosion.

beamer
16th Jan 2007, 09:06
Charter flight on who and/or what ?

411A
16th Jan 2007, 09:15
Yeah, I'm quite sure the UKCAA has looked into these seating arrangements, on charter aircraft.
This, of course, would the the very same CAA (well actually, it was the ARB then) that approved 44 seats on a UK registered DC-3, when the USFAA had a maximum seating on the very same model aircraft of....32, all due to emergency exit requirements.
Hey, just maybe folks in the UK were ah....smaller then.:}

Rainboe
16th Jan 2007, 21:42
DC3? DC3? Move on...get over it! It's gone....sad, we're all bereft, but this is the jet age now! In the DC3 age, 32 Yankees=44 Limeys (by volume).

Mad (Flt) Scientist
17th Jan 2007, 02:13
Depending on who did the installation, it's either covered by the OEM's type certificate or, perhaps more likely, on a third-party STC for the interior configuration.
Either will have been certified (as a design) by the relevant NAA and, if applied to an aircraft of secondary registry, validated or re-approved by the registration authority.
The specific aircraft will have had to pass a CofA inspection, again either at the OEM or on leaving the STC shop, where the configuration should have been checked against the type design and/or STC.
Modifications in-service would be handled similarly to the STC case, and the aircraft is of course subject to inspections to maintain the C of A for that tail number.
With the various grandfathering and foreign cert options which might be involved, one might certainly see some unusual things, but that basic paperwork chain should apply regardless.

howflytrg
17th Jan 2007, 17:55
If you think charter configs are a bit 'cosy', try out Iberia's new seats! If you are over 6ft tall don't bother! :} Especially on the A319's.

h73kr
17th Jan 2007, 19:07
If I recall correctly, it was CAA reservations about charter/low cost seating arrangements years ago that led to specific dimensional limits (on top of type certificates),laid down I think in Airworthiness Notices, now GR's