PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN Scholarships 2007

Flying Lawyer
15th Jan 2007, 22:46
GAPAN has published its Scholarships programme for 2007.

LINK (http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/schols07.htm)

(Details of Bursaries will be published later).

FL

Mr Magoo
16th Jan 2007, 08:00
And as a recipient of a GAPAN FI(R) scholarship a few years ago let me tell everyone that's it's one of the very few genuinly "no strings attached" things you'll find left in aviation.
The advice I'd give to you, if you're going to apply for the FI scholarship, is to take a long look at your reasons for doing so.

If you're fresh from an integrated course with little in the way of hours or "captaincy" but see it as an hour building exercise to get that airline job then what could you offer to PPL training in a small flying club?
The answer will be not a lot as you've never been out on your own in a "PPL" environment dropping into small grass fields for the proverbial cuppa and bacon sarnie. You need to know something about GA and have some of that magic stuff called airmanship, (ie experience,) before you can hope to provide a service to your student who's paying £140 an hour plus for every hour you log as P1

I'd been PPLing for 15 years before I did the CPL, 16 when I applied for the scholarship and had a thourougly enjoyable couple of summers instructing. I paid for my own instrument instructor course too.
Yes, the 100's of hours that went into my logbook helped when it came to getting my first airline job - but they need to be seen as a side benefit NOT the sole reason you apply.

Remember, it's a valuable gift so make sure you make proper use of it should you apply and gain one.

Rant over!

Magoo

Flying Lawyer
25th Mar 2007, 22:23
Reminder :

Closing Date for Applications: Wednesday 11 April 2007

Flying Lawyer
14th Jun 2007, 19:23
The selection process has been completed and decisions made.
Results will be notified by early next week.

FL