PDA

View Full Version : Why the ding after take-off

tangoecho
14th Jan 2007, 20:51
I did a search so apologies if asked...

I notice on the A319/20/21 and so on, ding immediatly after take-off.
I'm sure it's when the landing gear is being retracted/extended.

Just wondered why the ding.:hmm:

Cheers

Stu...:ok:

http://flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Airbus_A319-Airline_British_Airways_Aviation_Video-4633.html?s=y

Just found this video. You can hear the noisey landing gear retract straight after the ding.

Smudger
14th Jan 2007, 21:16
I don't fly Airbus but I guess that it is the flight deck crew signalling to the cabin crew that they can unstrap and begin their duties. It's a standard procedure which doesn't involve having to actually talk to the No. 1 which could be very time-consuming and inconvenient whilst flying the departure.

fmgc
14th Jan 2007, 21:26
It is the no smoking signs going off automatically when the gear is retracted.

Now it may be that the no-smoking signs stay on anyway (as programmed into the CIDS) but there is still the ding as the gear goes up.

Dolley
14th Jan 2007, 21:31
As cc on the A319 I can confirm the ding is connected to the retraction/extention of the gear. It happens at the same time as the exit sign stops/starts being illuminated. On descend it happens this way: landing gear goes down, about two seconds later 'ding' and exit signs illuminate. For cc it means now starts/stops the time of 'landing position'. And if the cabin is not secure yet, bloody hurry up! ;-)

For us to be released from our seats is a different 'ding' controlled by the flight deck, done with the seat belt sign and it only happens at the beginning of the flight not at the end.

Dolley
14th Jan 2007, 21:34
It is the no smoking signs going off automatically when the gear is retracted.

Now it may be that the no-smoking signs stay on anyway (as programmed into the CIDS) but there is still the ding as the gear goes up.

I can't imagine that pax would have been allowed to smoke that soon after take-off???
And that long into descend? Especially as we would have given our cabin secure minutes before the 'ding' if everything goes to plan...

Getoutofmygalley
14th Jan 2007, 21:42
Dolley is correct on this one! :ok:

fmgc
14th Jan 2007, 21:43
Perhaps,

But I speak the truth.

fmgc
14th Jan 2007, 21:52
FCOM Vol 1

Section 1.33.40 P1

(This section refers to the NO SMOKING sel switch in the AUTO position)

I quote:

NO SMOKING & EXIT signs come on when landing gear is extended and go off when landing gear is retracted. Low chime sounds (depends on the CIDS/CAM programming) when the lights go on or off.

Dolley
14th Jan 2007, 21:55
fmgc:

It's not that I don't believe you I'm just very surprised indeed.
Bloody senseless if you ask me.
But...as there is no smoking anyway, who cares?! :-)

BOAC
14th Jan 2007, 22:06
Boeing is built the same way - in 'AUTO', lap straps come on with flaps, and smokers with gear. It gave the Captain time to empty the old baccy from his pipe on finals.:)

sir.pratt
14th Jan 2007, 22:42
it's clearly explained in this video - at around the 1min 20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc

Dolley
15th Jan 2007, 08:10
See, you can learn something new every day!

The day wasn't wasted after all :-)