PDA

View Full Version : CVR recording from ATR 72 fatal crash leaked on internet

Algy
12th Jan 2007, 12:59
Italian investigation recording leaked to media. (http://shortlinks.co.uk/zy)

lomapaseo
12th Jan 2007, 13:29
I wasn't aware that there is a "regulation" regarding the disemination of CVR's. For this reason the use of the term 'leaked' may not be appropriate. In fact the recording may have been released not in violation of a regulation..

OK, just before I go down in flames :) I do agree with everything that IFALPA says and that we must do everything within our power under, applicable under existing regulations to restrict the disemination of CVRs.

I bet the great majority of the posters on this forum agree with the IFALPA sentiment. But I wonder if the futher discussion might discuss the actual controls afforded to the restictions/protections from the actual release of the CVR within the various states, inside and outside ICAO's reach

Al Fakhem
12th Jan 2007, 13:53
I wonder what else is on the site linked in the first post, as it is blocked by the wonderful Etislut (the UAE telecom monopoly) for being "inconsistent with the cultural, political, religious and moral values of the UAE". This means, for instance, that it is ok to see two men kissing (e.g. Arab politicians) but not a man and a woman. :yuk:

Algy
12th Jan 2007, 15:44
Surprised to see that link posted on Pprune. The general idea is not to encourage this sort of thing.

Nick NOTOC
12th Jan 2007, 15:46
I wasn't aware that there is a "regulation" regarding the disemination of CVR's. For this reason the use of the term 'leaked' may not be appropriate. In fact the recording may have been released not in violation of a regulation..
OK, just before I go down in flames :) I do agree with everything that IFALPA says and that we must do everything within our power under, applicable under existing regulations to restrict the disemination of CVRs.
I bet the great majority of the posters on this forum agree with the IFALPA sentiment. But I wonder if the futher discussion might discuss the actual controls afforded to the restictions/protections from the actual release of the CVR within the various states, inside and outside ICAO's reach

The sole purpose of FDR is accident investigation, for incident investigation it may be used. The investigating authority is therefore responsible for ensuring integrety when working with voice recordings!

I HOPE THAT PPRUNE WILL DELETE ANY LINK TOWARDS THIS RECORDING!

Regards, Nick

maybepilot
12th Jan 2007, 16:04
The above link is available to the general public on the main Italian news agency's website.
Thought that since any secretary,jurno,housewife or student can hear it than why shouldn't the professional pilots?
But i will remove it from here if it's undesired.

Kit d'Rection KG
12th Jan 2007, 17:12
Yes, it's undesired... By me, at least.

Hope you're a man/woman of your word and it'll be gone shortly.

Surprised the mods let it stay so long, too...

Too Few Stripes
12th Jan 2007, 17:23
if you are so offended by such things then don't click on the link - hardly rocket science is it???

maybepilot
12th Jan 2007, 17:39
There you are guys, deleted from here but available to the journos on public websites.....

bomarc
12th Jan 2007, 17:52
just a hypothetical question, only partially related to this crash:

WHAT IF?

What if the last words were something like: those damn bean counters cut corners on maintenance?

again, hypothetical words only.

would it help aviation safety to have those words in the pilot's voice on TV...perhaps motivating the government to enhance safety?

hypothetical only...

and I don't plan to go to the link, but what language were the pilots speaking?

4on4off
12th Jan 2007, 17:53
I would advocate leaving the link available.

This is a serious business and frequent reminders of this do not go amiss.

Del Prado
12th Jan 2007, 23:27
and I don't plan to go to the link, but what language were the pilots speaking?

IMHO a very high standard of english on RT, also english and arabic(?) between each other.

Avman
13th Jan 2007, 10:49
They also spoke French at one point. I found it profoundly moving and I felt for them, almost as if I was there. Considering their predicament I thought they performed professionally. Training is one thing but the real thing is something else!

The Trappist
13th Jan 2007, 13:53
I am led to believe that the audio of the CVR is available via Google.
It would appear that, whilst some may wish that it were not, this item is very much in the public domain.
Since this is the case, whatever the rights or wrongs of the information being available, there would seem to be no justification for PPRUNE-ers to be denied this knowledge.

Florida mud wrestler
13th Jan 2007, 18:09
I suggest that the guys who are so keen on restriction of information go live in China or Cuba. The information rightly or wrongly is in the public domain and it is simplistic to believe that removal of the link from PPRuNe can have any effect whatsover. Simply if you don't like news, dont watch/listen to it! Simple really!

Two's in
13th Jan 2007, 18:11
Considering that there have been a couple of sites on that worldwide interphone-web thingy for a number of years now, devoted solely to final CVR transcripts and recordings, some of you may want to make sure you don't get your fingers caught in that stable door as Dobbin disappears over the hill. Tasteless or not, it is sadly an established fact of today's communication age.

filejw
14th Jan 2007, 04:50
The reason people get upset about the release of voice record tapes is that it is against the original agreements most pilot unions had with their national agency's. Although it was along ago the unions originally objected for lots of different reasons and so now having tapes on the INTERNET and TV/radios is upsetting.We could still go back to guys pulling the VCR C/B's and or covering the mic's with tape and such.:p

nugpot
14th Jan 2007, 14:54
The reason people get upset about the release of voice record tapes is that it is against the original agreements most pilot unions had with their national agency's.

I completely agree here. If you don't want your final moments perved over by sick people, I suggest that your Union/Association negotiate an agreement with your company that an Association representative is present on the investigating team and that CVR recordings will never be released outside of the investigating team.

These recorders were allowed to be fitted on the understanding that they will be used by qualified investigators to help save lives in future. Releasing them on the internet just opens the door for all the armchair experts and sensation seekers to chip in.

I fully support responsible investigation using CVR's, but I wish I could lay my hands on the idiots that post these things on the internet. It will not be a pleasant meeting for them.

Kit d'Rection KG
14th Jan 2007, 15:15
I'm in agreement with that. Otherwise, we'll be left with pilots pulling the CBs again. Simple as that.

threemiles
14th Jan 2007, 18:50
In most countries distribution of a taped voice recording is unlawful and violates the personal rights of those whose voices are taped. I don't see any difference with CVRs. At least where I live the distibution, maybe already the web presentation of a link towards the tape, would certainly be a case for a prosecutor (one of the most democratic and free countries).