PDA

View Full Version : Skills test/Diamond Katana

wrathchild666
12th Jan 2007, 10:56
I will shortly be embarking on the skills test at Cumbernauld. Was meant to be yesterday, but wasn't for obvious reasons! With regards to fuel calculations, flying 24 square, is 15lts/hr a reasonable estimate? with say 5lts for taxi/take off and a 45 minute reserve?

Whopity
12th Jan 2007, 13:21
What does the flight manual say?

metar
13th Jan 2007, 10:10
15 litres per hour is a good figure - they burn a wee bit less (I reckon about 13 in reality depending on the aircraft) but you might as well over estimate. 5 litres for taxi at EGPG is sensible, and enough for diversion, contingency and 45 mins all a good idea.

Interestingly with full tanks, you and the examiner on board you will probably find the Katana is out of its C of G range... interesting conundrum!

Best of luck with the test. Do let me know how it goes.

DB6
13th Jan 2007, 10:15
One good thing about the Katana is the endurance, so you don't need full tanks for a skill test. The C152 on the other hand.............:eek:

wrathchild666
15th Jan 2007, 13:47
Thanks very much folks, very helpful indeed. The test has been re-scheduled for tomorrow. With any luck i'll have me wings this time tomorrow:) . 15ltrs/hr it is with 5 for take off and taxi.

I'll let you know how ii get on. The weather is meant to sort itself out for the duration of tomorrow anyway.

wrathchild666
16th Jan 2007, 17:38
Just to let you guys know, as of today i'm no longer a bumbling student. The skills test was a total success today, despite the fact i was sh*tting bricks during my lesson this morning.

Thanks to metar especially for the support and encouragement, didn't see you this afternoon after i'd finished.

Cheers

J

nosignificantweather
16th Jan 2007, 18:14
Just to let you guys know, as of today i'm no longer a bumbling student. The skills test was a total success today, despite the fact i was sh*tting bricks during my lesson this morning.

Thanks to metar especially for the support and encouragement, didn't see you this afternoon after i'd finished.

Cheers

J

Fantastic new on the test today, how did it all go?

wrathchild666
17th Jan 2007, 17:29
The route was from Cumbernauld to Kirkcaldy harbour through the Edinburgh CTR, then onto Balado Bridge with a diversion to Doune. my ATA's were pretty much spot on(within a minute). After that we hung around north-west of Stirling for stalls, spin-recovery, flight at different speeds, instruments only + a PFL.

This was followed by three landings back at Cumbernauld, one full flap, one flapless and finally a glide approach.

It all seemed to gel togethor quite nicely, Willie Devlin is a great examiner who really puts you at ease, in fact you never feel as if you are under too much pressure. Just enough to do what you have to do.

All in all a great day!

high-hopes
25th Feb 2007, 20:13
spin recovery in the Katana at Cumbernauld ???

Well done on your pass. Going to be flying on real airplanes now ? ;)

blobber
10th Mar 2007, 23:08
goin on to fly real aeroplanes?

someone happy about passing their test and there is always a mr. big ****** waiting with a stupid comment

Keygrip
11th Mar 2007, 01:20
someone happy about passing their test and there is always a mr. big ****** waiting with a stupid comment
I fear I will fall into that same category then - but whilst I am VERY pleased for wrathchild666, I do have to ask why he/she finds it necessary to ask about fuel calculations for the chosen steed, the day after he/she was scheduled for the skill test.

Don't take it personally wrathchild - "fuel planning" is one of my personal gripes. My other main one is mass and balance, so I agree with metar when it comes to the Diamond Kan of Tuna.

Well done on gaining your licence.

high-hopes
13th Mar 2007, 16:40

Gosh... sense of humour never too strong in the pilots community eh ?

Anyway I was more interested about the Spin recovery in a Katana as part of the skills test.
Perhaps he was talking about unusual attitudes recovery ?

Haven't seen a Katana cleared for spinning. Not the ones at Cumbernauld anyway.

Sorry for having spoiled someone else's happiness with my silly Katana joke ! I also would like to apologise to everyone at Diamond Motor Gliders... I mean, Diamond Aircraft for being offensive to their products !

regards :p

OpenCirrus619
13th Mar 2007, 16:52
goin on to fly real aeroplanes?

I presume you mean a real aeroplane like this :ok:
http://www.tigerclub.co.uk/gacdc.gif

as opposed to those large computerised aluminium tubes that one uses to get from A to B for vacation purposes. :}

OC619