PDA

View Full Version : microlght instructor rating/made clear?

microsky
11th Jan 2007, 15:40
hi everyone
just joined today, this forum is great.
i am looking for some clarification on the requirements to become a microlight flying instructor. i have passed all ppl ground exams, i have only 8 hours in at the moment on microlight flexwing, but i intend a career change by the end of 2007.
what i need to know is,

do i need a class 1 medical to instruct on microlights?

how much will the whole training cost? (i have a budget of £10000.)

where is best to train? i live in wakefield west yorkshire.

is there enough work out there to attain £300 per week?

am i too old? i am 44.

any help any of you can give me would be greatly appreciated, i just want to fly for a living and i have remortgaged the house to fund this change. i am looking at the microlight route as it is growing year on year and its still affordable to most people. i should have done something when i was 20, but like most people, kids, mortgage and life got in the way.

i look forward to your help.
thank you
microsky

BlueRobin
11th Jan 2007, 18:41
The FI is a rating, which is attached to your licence. Medical validity only pertains to your LICENCE. From what I can make of LASORS, the AFI rating is attached to your microlight PPL. The PPL needs at least an endorsement from your GP, though JAR CLass 2 and 1 would confer medical rights also.

Is it true PPL instructing on microlights can potentially pay more than on PPL(A)?

BEagle
11th Jan 2007, 20:33
You should really contact the BMAA to establish what you need to do if you wish to become a Microlight AFI.

However, the minimum flying experience required before you can start the Microlight AFI Course is 100 hour as PIC, of which a minimum of 60 hours must be on Microlights, including 5 hours on the variant to be used for the course.

You must also have held a Microlight PPL without operational restrictions or a NPPL (Microlight) for at least 8 months and have passed both a pre-entry flight test and written exam before starting the course.

looptheloop
12th Jan 2007, 20:01
I agree, check out the BMAA website and ask on their forum, i did a while ago for a very similar question and basically;
Yes you can earn more than PPL(A) instructing as the microlight hours dont count for airline timebuilding and therefore there isnt an excess of instructors looking to build hours, so wages can be higher to attract people to do it.
There is a particular need for flexwing but you can qualify in both and make yourself even more employable. I was offered the chance to build up the necessary hours by being a travelling sales rep for a chap who had just gained the dealership for a new fixedwing microlight. I was told i needed differences training and then 60 hours before commencing the instructors course.
I found the school at Sywell very helpful for info regarding qualifications as one of their instructors is an examiner and he answered all my questions. There is a school near you- Ruffort in York who have a good reputation for the instructors they produce.
Any other info feel free to PM me,
Lousie

GyroSteve
13th Jan 2007, 17:04
The BMAA do an "Instructors and Examiners Guide" for about £15 which has got more info in than you will ever want to know. A few years back Microlight Flying had ads in the classified section offering AFI courses - the best thing to do is phone a few schools for costs and info.

xrayalpha
29th Jan 2007, 12:56
Hi,

The rules and regs are as stated; basically 100hrs p1 and 60 hrs on micro etc. The 5 hours on type for instructor's course seems to be optional looking at a few logbooks I have seen!

Medical, it is just the standard NPPL medical.

As for costs: about 3k for the course.

The biggest problem in some parts of Britain is to find a place as an AFI for the next 10 months and 100hrs minimum. And to make sure that you do some real training and not just trial flights. I know of one part-time instructor in Scotland who was refused an upgrade to FI because most of his hours were TFs.

As for pay, once you are an FI, expect 20-25 quid an hour (although I pay 35) on a school machine. Of course, you could always find a location and set up on your own - no need even to register with the CAA as with light aircraft.

As an AFI, in some parts of UK you will get paid peanuts, literally. You need the school more than they need you, usually.

Very best wishes,

Colin