PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS blown-tyre damage (photo)

Crosshair
11th Jan 2007, 03:40
There's a photo in the Sydney Morning Herald of damage, apparently to a QANTAS 747.

This (http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/qantas-in-a-hole/2007/01/11/1168105093842.html) (photo and content-lean story) is supposed to have occured when a tyre exploded during takeoff from Singapore 8 March 2006. The flight continued to Frankfurt.

Flightman
11th Jan 2007, 14:14
CASA spokesman Peter Gibson told Seven: "It's certainly not a matter of a covering anything up.

Not even the hole? :}

WindSheer
11th Jan 2007, 14:18
Before we all start jumping down the pilots' throats.....we all know if the boys/ladies up front had known that damage was there they would not have continued!!

Nothing worse than a hole in your hold....:hmm:

zkdli
11th Jan 2007, 15:04
This is being discussed in Dunnunda & godzone

IFixPlanes
11th Jan 2007, 15:06
CASA spokesman Peter Gibson told Seven: "It's certainly not a matter of a covering anything up.
and he (Peter Gibson) goes on with:

"It's about making the right safety judgments, and we believe that was done."
CASA ruled there was no risk to passenger safety.

Flightman,you quote like german BILD-Zeitung (gutter press)

Flightman
11th Jan 2007, 18:14
and he (Peter Gibson) goes on with:
"It's about making the right safety judgments, and we believe that was done."
CASA ruled there was no risk to passenger safety.
Flightman,you quote like german BILD-Zeitung (gutter press)
As you've quoted a German newspaper, I'm assuming your German, so maybe the subtle nuance of humour was missed.
Don't fret, I forgive you.

PS I see you're from Frankfurt? Say Hi to Peter Marx for me. ;)

command
16th Jan 2007, 21:15
damn press always getting it wrong, and never letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

for everyones info the damaged caused to the qantas 744 was located on a wing to body fairing. The fuselage wasnt even scratched. the structural integrity of the airframe was in no way jepardised. it is just a case of replacing a fiber glass fairing.

i had to laugh when i saw a reconstruction of what had happened on the news, apparently when the tire exploded the debris made 3 long holes in the aft fuselage about as long as 2 to 3 meters. just think about this. the area of these gashes would have been at least 4 times the area of the outflow valves, as if the pressurisation system would have been able to do its job.
such a laugh.

the press never seem to be able to get the truth when it comes to aviation.:D

Ancient Mariner
16th Jan 2007, 22:00
Command, are you saying that the picture in Sydney Morning Herald shows torn and crumpled/bent fiberglass?
Per

command
16th Jan 2007, 22:43
no, thats definitely alluminium.
looks like it may be a gear door though. just think about it. if there was a hole that big in the pressure hull it would be like cruising with the outflow valves open and everyone inside would be using supplimentary oxy.

Onions
16th Jan 2007, 22:50
So why's this thread been moved?

I know its down under with the convicts but its still interesting!

(Light blue touch paper and stand well back!!)

BHMvictim
17th Jan 2007, 02:14
Command, are you saying that the picture in Sydney Morning Herald shows torn and crumpled/bent fiberglass?
Per

The torn and crumpled aluminum that you see would be the support frames for the wing to body fairing.

Honestly, I don't know why troll-journalists seem to think they can make up crap that in real life, could not possibly happen.

As has been stated over and over, if there were a 3m long hole in the fuselage, the plane would not physically have been able to fly between Singapore and Frankfurt...

Don't mis-interpret this as being not ALLOWED to fly..... it physically would not have been able to. It would have been impossible to maintain cabin pressure.

END OF STORY!!!! To anyone contemplating an argument in these forums over the "hole in the fuselage" mis-report... go back to your desk and shuffle some more paper. You have been exposed as no more than a troll.