PDA

View Full Version : Photographic equipment in towers

PPL-Trainee
10th Jan 2007, 21:20
Hello ATCer's

Just popped in to ask you a question.

I will be revisiting a Control Tower sometime this week, in my area (England,UK) which serves a semi-major airport. This has yet to be confirmed, but I have visited the Control Tower once before.

Is it possible to take photographic equipment up into the Control tower? Is there rules laid down by NATS which prevents visiters from taking pictures?

So far, as I understand it, cameras are allowed through onto aircraft large and small, but will I be able to take my camera into the tower?

Speedy and to the point replies prefered (preferably from people who know what they are talking about).

Thanks.

Loki
10th Jan 2007, 21:24
I think I`m right in saying that there is a no photography policy at Nats units.....certainly was at one with which I was very familiar.

airac
10th Jan 2007, 21:41
Take it with you and ask ,whats the worst they can say?
We don't mind at our place.

PPL-Trainee
10th Jan 2007, 21:53
Cheers Airac, I'll take it and see what they say.

Thanks for confirming for me Loki and Airac (and very quick replies too).

Saved me a phonecall!

Cheerio

Defruiter
10th Jan 2007, 22:50
I believe you need permission from the actual aerodrome authority to take pictures - There was a case at an airfield I was told about where the aerodrome authority banned a photographer from taking pictures at the airport because he didn't ask for prior permission! (I was told this while someone in the tower was actually taking pictures though :p hehe)

loubylou
10th Jan 2007, 23:29
I would suggest that you take your camera with you and ask whether you can take pics when you get there.
I would also say to not expect to use your flash and don't take pics of the controllers without checking first, I would be most unhappy if you did that!

louby

BDiONU
11th Jan 2007, 08:24
I would also say to not expect to use your flash and don't take pics of the controllers without checking first, I would be most unhappy if you did that!
Don't like people flashing at you then louby? ;)

BD

FantomZorbin
11th Jan 2007, 09:04
Ask first - try taking B&W pictures (rate the ASA at 1600) - no flash required the results can be quite impressive.

loubylou
11th Jan 2007, 10:21
:p BD!

louby

anotherthing
11th Jan 2007, 11:09
I know of someone (An ATCO of many years experience at TC), who wanted to take some photographs of the OPS room using a time-lapse camera... just general ops room scenes of comings and goings, maybe some radar shots but not neccesarily.
His intention was to tie this in with some time lapse photos from a tower (LL or KK), and put them together to make a mini movie.
Not for sale on Ebay or anything like that, merely for his own interest (he is a semi professional photographer and he had just bought himself the time lapse equipment and some new editing software).

The camera was going to be mounted well away from where anyone would be walking i.e. no interference to anyone.

He could not even get permission to do the TC stuff - a unit where he works, never mind asking a tower, which was the next step!!

It was all down to NATS corporate division (small minded bureaucrats IMHO in this circumstance).

A private project that was not allowed.... however bearing in mind the current media campaign for new ATCO trainees, this would be an ideal way to use some video streaming on the internet etc as part of a campaign to recruit, and also to let the public at large, understand more of what ATC is about (instead of the 'ping pong bat waving' understanding that they have).

This is someone who NATS approached recently (before his time lapse request) to seek permission to use a couple of images he had designed at a key business presentation. He granted that permission and at NATS request, designed another image for their use.

A small gripe, but one that got on my goat

MAN777
11th Jan 2007, 18:49
I have visited MAN ATC, tower and area, numerous times and have never been refused permission to take a few snaps. Obviously the common courtesy of asking first is the way to go.

AlanM
11th Jan 2007, 20:00
I have never had a problem at any NATS location I have worked at.

Common courtesy to not only ask to take photos, but make sure that the people on duty have no massive problem with it. Also be honest on the eventual use.

As for LTCC/Heathrow, I took some only 4 weeks ago during an official visit I hosted and they are to be used in the AOPA and Club magazine. Get corporate comms and the GM/WM on board you shouldn't have a problem. Corp Comms normally want to see the pictures first to make sure there is nothing untoward in the background. (like the STCA glowing red.....)

Point Seven
11th Jan 2007, 22:30
Or a Thames Radio controller, feet up reading the Times eh mate?;)

P7

niknak
11th Jan 2007, 23:21
Take as many photos of ours as you want - the equipment is so old and antiquated several museums already ahve first shout on it when it's replaced later this year....

istandfornothing
12th Jan 2007, 10:35
It was all down to NATS corporate division (small minded bureaucrats IMHO in this circumstance).
Wow, NATS Corporate Communications are idiots shock. Maybe they could run the story in 'Pulse'.

anotherthing
12th Jan 2007, 15:50
AlanM

Very interesting, as the GM and corporate comms were involved from the outset in this case. Though I suppose as it was backing up an official visit there was a slight difference. Did Corp Comms request the ownership rights to the photographs, or are they yours to use as you wish?

Pretty galling considering this gentleman had done some work for the same people in his own time!!

AlanM
12th Jan 2007, 19:33
Anotherthing - if it is who I think I agree!
PM me.....

Point Seven - wish I had time to check this as often as you do. Been busy doing pics of real items of interest!!!

P.S. Saw your pic in Skyport - labelled as trainee..... Bless. I know you spend time making love to the TOI machine mate but get working! (maybe you are just starry eyed from other things "going down"!!!!)
:ok:

halo
12th Jan 2007, 20:34
Just out of interest did Corporate Comms pay for the Digital Rights to the photographs in order to use them as they wish?

Makes for an interesting discussion with photos taken on a NATS site which are then used in commercial material.

AlanM
12th Jan 2007, 20:38
Not for that day.

They did however, ask and use images I took that appeared in the Independent before Christmas using a certain TC Gatwick babe as an interviewee in the careers section.

And no, I didn't get paid for it!

Point Seven
12th Jan 2007, 22:11
(maybe you are just starry eyed from other things "going down"!!!!)
:ok:

I'll have you know she is a lady, you cad.

P7

wiccan
13th Jan 2007, 01:11
I "flash" ALL the time :cool:
Just ask, "shouldn't be a prob"
bb

chevvron
14th Jan 2007, 08:45
A certain well known photographer (NOT Gordon Bain) was once castigated for publishing photos he took at my airfield which he had taken without permission from the AD authority.