PDA

View Full Version : JAA approved electronic logbook?

Torsten38
10th Jan 2007, 06:21
Does anyone out there in JAR land live in a country where an electronic logbook has been approved by their CAA?

I know a company can have an electronic logging system approved but how about having your own personal logbook on a PDA or similar?

Thanks,
Torsten

bookworm
10th Jan 2007, 07:39
The UK CAA accepts electronic logbooks without approval. Provided the details required are recorded and each page of any printout submitted for a licence or rating application is signed by the holder, there's no problem.

Torsten38
10th Jan 2007, 07:57
Is that official? Have they a written statement somewhere that supports that? Need it to convince my own CAA :hmm:

Telstar
10th Jan 2007, 09:05
Hi,
I am an avid user of the ********* logbook software and have had no problems at all with the UK CAA, although they only accept it in printed format due to security reasons. ********* can print in a JAR format.

As for where it is written, the UK ANO (Air Navigation Order) states the following:

Article 35

Personal flying log book

35 (1) Every member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom and
every person who engages in flying for the purpose of qualifying for the grant or
renewal of a licence under this Order shall keep a personal flying log book in which
the following particulars shall be recorded:
(a) the name and address of the holder of the log book;
(b) particulars of the holder’s licence (if any) to act as a member of the flight crew of
an aircraft; and
(c) the name and address of his employer (if any).
(2) Particulars of each flight during which the holder of the log book acted either as a
member of the flight crew of an aircraft or for the purpose of qualifying for the grant
or renewal of a licence under this Order, as the case may be, shall be recorded in the
log book at the end of each flight or as soon thereafter as is reasonably practicable,
including:
(a) the date, the places at which the holder embarked on and disembarked from the
aircraft and the time spent during the course of a flight when he was acting in
either capacity;
(b) the type and registration marks of the aircraft;
(c) the capacity in which the holder acted in flight;
(d) particulars of any special conditions under which the flight was conducted,
including night flying and instrument flying; and
(e) particulars of any test or examination undertaken whilst in flight.
(3) For the purposes of this article, a helicopter shall be deemed to be in flight from the
moment the helicopter first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off
until the rotors are next stopped.
(4) Particulars of any test or examination undertaken whilst in a flight simulator shall be
recorded in the log book, including:
(a) the date of the test or examination;
(b) the type of simulator;
21 October 2005
CAP 393 Air Navigation: The Order and the Regulations
Section 1 Part 4 Page 13
(c) the capacity in which the holder acted; and
(d) the nature of the test or examination.

Defining a "Log Book" as:

‘Log book’ in the case of an aircraft log book, engine log book or variable pitch
propeller log book, or personal flying log book, includes a record kept either in a book, or by any other means approved by the CAA in the particular case.

UK ANO Click here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF)

LASORS 2007 Also makes specific reference to computerised Logbooks:

Section A, General Information

Computerised Logbooks

Computerised Logbooks are acceptable, provided that
they are submitted in hard copy paper format and
contain the relevant information (as specified in ANO,
currently in force, Article 35) with each page certified as
true and signed by the applicant.

LASORS 2007 Click here (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)

All the best.

Torsten38
10th Jan 2007, 09:40
Telstar, thanks for that, just the info I needed!

FlyboyUK
10th Jan 2007, 10:39
Have a look at pilotlog I've been using it for over a year and would highly recommend it.
It has comprehensive hours breakdowns and can even import your roster as provisional flights, leaving you to fill in the registration and times (saves loads of time).
Also being web-based it's accessible from any internet connection and has facilites via PDA and mobile phone to record flights.
There's also a free trial :ok:

Crossunder
10th Jan 2007, 12:44
My Company records everything and you get a printout every now and then.
Simple and easy.

IMHO, logging flight time is useless after you get your license. Type of aircraft/operation and how long (in months and yrs) you've been doing it is more relevant.

Flying Torquewrench
10th Jan 2007, 18:41
IMHO, logging flight time is useless after you get your license. Type of aircraft/operation and how long (in months and yrs) you've been doing it is more relevant.

Crossunder,

I have to disagree with you. If you are involved in an accident (hopefully not) than the CAA wants to have all your flying hours.

One of our captains found out after having an engine failure during Take-Off. He hadn't filled in his logbook for a long time but spend several nights filling in his logbook on request of the CAA. The failure had nothing to do with the crew but they still need all your flying hours. (total time and time on type)

FT

Danger_Mouse
11th Jan 2007, 10:33
Does anyone know what the official line is for having a signature of the PIC for every flight, is this required by the UK CAA for licence upgrade?

Cheers

skyfarmer
3rd Apr 2008, 09:02
Just found this thread when looking to clarify the UK CAA approval or not of electronic logbooks, and thought I would add a comment or two.

Regarding the unanswered question from Danger_Mouse about Capt signatures for every flight. My understanding is that although officially each and every flight should be signed by Capt when you are flying as an F/O and logging P1 u/s, it is accepted that this is not practical and and a signature for all the flights certifying that the P1 u/s flights are correct is acceptable. Over what time period each sig should cover, I dont know, per page, monthly?? longer period? after 500hrs flying. Anyone any further info?

Second point. I have been using Skymark Technologies Aloft Commercial Logbook for a few years now. Available in Student/PPL and Comm flavours, and can sync with the Pocket version that runs on Windows mobile phones/PDA's.

It has custom options for Australia, Canada, USA (FAA) and Europe (JAA)

Prints out in as many formats as you want, from a selection of in built (editable) layouts, (JEPP, JAR-FCL, AOPA ) plus you can customise to your own layout. Allowing printing from any start date you choose, and as many lines per page as your old paper logbook. This is great if you still want to keep your old paper logbook written up by hand....print out in the same format with regard to lines and page start date, and then copy the printouts directly to your hand written logbook, with all totals at the bottom of each page the same on printed book as hand written.

Worth a look.