PDA

View Full Version : Baghdad Crash?

fox niner
9th Jan 2007, 12:32
BBC World now reporting an airliner carrying Turkish workers has crashed at Baghdad airport.

Onions
9th Jan 2007, 12:33
Both Sky and BBC reporting a crash in Baghdad killing 30 according to some? Anyone know anymore?

jet_noseover
9th Jan 2007, 13:02
ANKARA, Turkey - Thirty people were killed on Tuesday when their Moldovan plane crashed while trying to land in foggy conditions in Iraq, a Turkish Foreign Ministry official said. Two people were also reportedly injured.

The Antonov-26 plane, which took off from the Turkish city of Adana early on Tuesday, had been carrying 32 Turkish workers at the time, Turkey’s state Anatolian news agency reported.

The Foreign Ministry official said the crash occurred near Balad, the main U.S. military aviation hub in Iraq about 50 miles north of the capital Baghdad.

“The Antonov-26 plane left Turkey this morning and left radar screens some 60 miles away from Baghdad. It may have crashed or had difficulties trying to land,” Cahit Kirac, governor of Adana province from where the plane left, told CNN Turk television.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12773597/

G-ARZG
9th Jan 2007, 15:27
AOL carries the same story, but illustrates the piece
with a pic of an An124 ! D'Oh

captjns
9th Jan 2007, 15:35
Unfortunately, I'm sure:hmm: , another perfectly maintained aircraft bites the dust. Sympathies for the crew and passengers.

LuckyStrike
9th Jan 2007, 19:11
I've heard it tried to land but was not successful for the first time, go around initiated due to fog and second try resulted in the accident. The crash happened because the plane clipped a concrete pole, lost control and caught fire after hitting ground...
Sympathies for passengers, crew and their families...

Sleeve Wing
9th Jan 2007, 19:14
Unfortunately, I'm sure:hmm: , another perfectly maintained aircraft bites the dust. Sympathies for the crew and passengers.

C'mon, captjns. You should know better than that.
Wait for enquiry report.

AfricanSkies
9th Jan 2007, 19:31
We've had several days of very bad fog in Iraq, the worst I have seen in 3 years.
Captjns..wind your neck in... you don't know what you are talking about. You're just another one of the know-nothings who hear the words Antonov crash and starts to ridicule. These guys were braver than 99% of you.
Rest in peace, brave colleagues. Many a spiral dance have we done together, up, down and around and around. Hope to see you one day again, threading through the peaceful clouds. :sad:
Maybe this was your gateway to heaven I saw today, just north of Baghdad?
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/africanskies/iraqisun.jpg

forget
9th Jan 2007, 19:42
Cracking response African Skies. Almost brought a tear to the eye.
OK OK, it did bring a tear.

captjns
9th Jan 2007, 20:17
We've had several days of very bad fog in Iraq, the worst I have seen in 3 years. Captjns..wind your neck in... you don't know what you are talking about. You're just another one of the know-nothings who hear the words Antonov crash and starts to ridicule. These guys were braver than 99% of you.

I was giving the crew the benefit of the doubt. Lets face it the old Atonovs are not in the best shape. Unless if this particular aircraft was in good shape, then you are suggesting that the pilot could not cope with the inclement weather, which is arrogant on your behalf. In my thirty years, I have flown crappy aircraft problably older than your parents, in the bush and in snow and ice... so don't make statements that you can't back up sonny.