View Full Version : Piper Cub Taildragger conversion

IrishSarBoy
9th Jan 2007, 07:34
Hi all,

I'm wanting to do a taildragger conversion on a cub or super cub somewhere in the UK not too far from an airport that I can fly to from Dublin. As a rotory pilot I've also allowed my UK JAR PPL(A) to lapse so I'll need to do a LPC before hand with a CAA qualified examiner, any suggestions comments etc.

cheers

ISB:)

hobbit1983
9th Jan 2007, 08:10
Can certainly recommend Old Sarum (doing conversion there now!) http://www.oldsarumflyingclub.co.uk/ but not sure if it's the most convienient in terms of flying from Dublin.

QDMQDMQDM
9th Jan 2007, 09:14
Clacton, near Stanstead?

Martin @ EGLK
9th Jan 2007, 10:01
I can thoroughly recomend the Tiger Club in Headcorn. Not too far from Gatwick.

tacpot
9th Jan 2007, 10:05
I can recommend Northamptonshire School of Flying at Sibson, about 60 miles by car from Luton or Stanstead.

tp

J.A.F.O.
9th Jan 2007, 12:54
I second the vote for Northampton School of Flying - Never been to Headcorn or Old Sarum so I don't know one way or the other but the people at Sibson are great.

S-Works
9th Jan 2007, 13:13
I could do it for you if you wanted something less formal. But otherwise, NSF or Leicester Aero Club get my vote.

cirrus01
9th Jan 2007, 14:59
Cubair at Redhill.........I think they still have a Supercub for training, and you cannot get much nearer than Gatwick is to Redhill. :)

davidatter708
9th Jan 2007, 16:06
Piper Cub Leicestershire aero club

Sleeve Wing
9th Jan 2007, 20:44
IrishSarBoy.
You can do all that at West London Aero Club, White Waltham, which is about 20-30mins. from Heathrow. Cheap flights ex DUB with bmibaby.
Aircraft is Super Cub PA18-150. At least 4 Cub-qualified Instructors and even 3 Examiners available to take care of the LPC.
01628 823272.

JackOffallTrades
11th Jan 2007, 00:05
Then if you really want to know how to fly a cub you can talk to me in the bar at EGLM after your lesson!!!

False Capture
11th Jan 2007, 00:07
Definitely West London Aero Club at White Waltham. May cost a bit more than the others but it's certainly very professional with loads of history and interest. Fantastic bar and restaurant. Their Super Cub is very well maintained.

p.s. Just make sure you avoid talking to a big hairy gorrilla called 'Chewy' who lives at the White Waltham bar.:}

JackOffallTrades
11th Jan 2007, 01:06
Well that's because the gorrilla is so damn smart that most mortals are not worthy of speaking to him.

Wide-Body
11th Jan 2007, 04:17
Irish Sar boy

Just adding my recommendation for White Waltham. Easy to get to from LHR. A good bunch of instructors, and a fairly good aircraft.

Give them a call and see you there.

regards

Wide

P.s Don,t mind the wookie he is friendly really, just watch if there is a busstop nearby (appologies sarboy for the injoke)

IrishSarBoy
11th Jan 2007, 20:50
cheers all :ok: