PDA

View Full Version : Etihad to Oz ?

cantilever
9th Jan 2007, 05:01
Whispers from the Portakabins that EY are heading down to Oz?

No mention of destinations or a/c, anyone anymore info?:confused:

boiler
9th Jan 2007, 08:33
Yes it is true. It was mentioned in several Australian papers that EY now has rights for a daily service to Australia. I heard that they will start a non-stop SYD service within a few months using the A340-500.

Sir Osis of the river
9th Jan 2007, 08:35
It's also in the Gulf News today

:D

Regi
9th Jan 2007, 17:22
Etihad will start 3 flts a week direct to Syd in March.....:)

Goldstone
9th Jan 2007, 19:34
Strange decision as the CEO knows that the route doesn't make money for GF and is even less likely to with three flights a week.

Couldn't be anything to do with ..... nah!

Sir Osis of the river
9th Jan 2007, 20:51
Goldstone,

I honestly know nothing about GF load factors or profitability on OZ routes and I understand the possible reason behind decision......, but Emirates are looking to add more daily Aus flights to all their destinations. Surely there is a reason for this? and EY being so close to Dubai, should in theory also be able to make a profit on the route.

Then, again, you never know........

Just wondering??

In trim
9th Jan 2007, 21:29
I know nothing of the economics of the Australia route, other than anecdotal feedback from friends/colleagues in the region, so I stand prepared to be shot down in flames!

The key seems to be the direct service. There is a significant market who will pay a premium for a direct service to the Middle-East (i.e. 1-stop to/from Europe) rather than an additional stop. The A340-500 obviously gives that ability. (I know a number of people who will NOT take the EK stopping service and will only book on the direct SYD-DXB sector).

Many other carriers require a 2-stop operation from Europe which presumably has 2 effects:

- Reduction in ticket prices compared with the "Premium" you can charge for the direct service.

- Unless there are fifth/sixth(???) freedom or codeshares in operation, then an operation via an additional stop often means a reduced load factor on some sectors. (i.e. Operating AUH-SIN-SYD would mean additional costs and reduced revenues if the SIN-SYD sector was not sold as a code-share or similar and therefore operated with lower load factor once the SIN-bound pax have disembarked.)

bluepacific
10th Jan 2007, 00:18
Etihad will do well with the direct service, you only have to try and get on a direct flight from the sand pit to oz to know that unless you book well in advance you're not going to get a seat.
Good on EY :D

cnsnz
10th Jan 2007, 03:11
Does anyone know what staff and and how many they will be looking for in QZ ?

ruby tuesday
10th Jan 2007, 03:40
Bit of a coup really to get daily 1st time of asking. Its very topical in OZ at the moment this whole protection of QF thing and the tourism minister has taken it to the top as the likes of EK and QR want to get more flights into OZ but get knocked back. This is hampering tourism growth.
QR have rights for 3 flight per week but won't entertain the route on anything else but daily. AAB must be really pissed off the new kids are in there with daily if they want it...
In Dec EY advertsied for Country manager postion in OZ paper but did not specify location (as they never do) - not sure if they have anyone in mind...
Profitablilty is not an issue for EY- its bums on seats and getting an AUG-SYD will help it fill its UK flights..

Wiley
10th Jan 2007, 05:34
If EY get really creative and offer A340 basings in OZ, I suspect they will find that their recruiting base has quite suddenly expanded - and from not too far away.

,,,like about 70 miles to the North East

Regi
10th Jan 2007, 06:10
Csnnz,sorry to disappoint you but Etihad have their Syd staff already lined up for their introduction of their Sdy3 times aweek.....They are coming from everywhere,apparently ex GF groundstaff from an outstation on the GF route!!!!!

Funk
10th Jan 2007, 07:24
SYD:rolleyes: Bugger that, I'd rather have a long layover in Singgas (with SIA) than fly 14+hrs with no cabin service only to be stuffed arround at SY airhole as well as having to pay excess luggage premium to get home to BrisVegas (BNE).

At least all the AUH Lebs will be able to get direct flights home to Bankstown :ok:

cnsnz
10th Jan 2007, 07:43
Does anyone have a phone of fax number for there HR dept in AUH ?
Do you think they will consider crossing the Tasman to NZ ?
EKs flights are all full and with NZ looking at reducing flights and QF intoducing more flights with Jetstar maybe room for another full service carrier with connections through to europe.

Firbolgs
10th Jan 2007, 08:16
SYD Sounds like a winner to me :ok:

Any plans to fly the 773 on long sectors?...seems a waste on the stuff its doing at the moment.

coffindodger
10th Jan 2007, 13:38
the main fax number for all ey is +97125058111
hope this helps.

ruby tuesday
10th Jan 2007, 21:42
The GF guy in SYD applied to defect to EK end of 2006 when EK were looking for a new VP OZ - probably he would be interested to jump onto the JH bandwagon!

left_to_first_class
11th Jan 2007, 15:58
Confirmation that CB (GF GM OZ) has resigned and will be heading to EY.
Also heard that the airport manager in Dublin has also resigned to go EY as airport manager SYD.

Also GF Sales Manager for KUL has already gone across to EY.

Rumour from the pink palace is that more senior resignations over the next 4 weeks, as more go over.