PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Training

Lindstrim
8th Jan 2007, 21:34
I have applied to do ATC training in New Zealand with Airways. Just wondering how does the training rate to overseas courses and how is it recognised overseas.

Any comments both positive or negative are welcome.

Mr. Pig
9th Jan 2007, 18:13
Lindstrim,
You should find that training follows the appropriate ICAO syllabi. Judging by the number of ex-NZ controllers now working offshore, Airways' standards are similar to those of other ANS providers.

Now, I know that I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, but I believe that Airways follows a "training for success" philosophy a bit more closely than other organisations. Therefore, the check-out rate is correspondingly high at ab-initio level.

By the way, are you one of the experienced recruits or ab initio?

PM me if you want any further info.

Cheers,
Pig

Lindstrim
10th Jan 2007, 08:56
Ah no im ab initio going into this but have a basic understanding of whats going on in the airways.

Also how intense is the course ie how many hours a day is it? etc.

Mr. Pig
10th Jan 2007, 15:16
It's fairly intensive stuff, especially if you don't have much experience in the world of aviation. Expect your days to be full, and plenty of evenings spent studying. Written tests occur throughout, particularly in the first (basic) phase. Final written exams take place at the end of each of three phases. Practical assessments are held at the conclusion of periods of practical/simulator training.

This info is from my own experiences, and therefore not current. You would probably find that the instructors at the Airways training centre would be willing to give you a more accurate timetable.

Oh - if you haven't already done so, get hold of your nearest ATC facility and see if you can arrange a visit. They are usually more than happy to assist the curious.

Good Luck:)

P.

Spuds McKenzie
10th Jan 2007, 18:25
Mr. Pig,

Check your PMs.

Jimmah
10th Jan 2007, 20:07
Lindstrim,

If you want more of a low-down from someone that went through the Ab-Initio course recently, gimme a PM.

If it's your cup of tea, you'll love it, despite the hard work.

Coast
19th Jan 2007, 20:52
Mr. Pig........Check your PMs