PDA

View Full Version : New definition of Runway Incursion

Flying Lawyer
6th Jan 2007, 15:45
Until the end of last year, the UK CAA's definition was 'Any occurrence at an airport involving the unauthorised or unplanned presence of an aircraft, vehicle or person on the protected area of a surface designated for aircraft take-off and landing.’

Effective 1 Jan 2007, the UK CAA has now adopted the ICAO (and Eurocontrol) definition:
‘Any occurrence at an aerodrome involving the incorrect presence of an aircraft, vehicle or person on the protected area of a surface designated for the landing and take-off of aircraft.’ 'Incorrect’ (rather than ‘unauthorised or unplanned’) means that incidents resulting from ATC error will now count as runway incursions. eg Where a pilot correctly follows the issued clearance but where the clearance itself was erroneous.

MOR procedure unchanged.

CAA SRG will decide whether a reported runway incursion was a runway incursion.

FL

forget
6th Jan 2007, 19:49
All due respect Mi Lud, but has anything really changed? Does not a near runway collision, even if both parties are 'authorised' by ATC, count as 'unplanned'. The clearances may have been (erroneously) planned, but the outcome wasn't.

So far as I know runway incursions resulting from ATC error have always figured in the records.

Gonzo
6th Jan 2007, 21:15
Nothing changes as far as I can see, I've always reported any potential or real incursions due to 'ATC error', and I'd guess any other ATCO would think the same.

It seems as if it's just the CAA changing the language to reflect reality.

Flying Lawyer
6th Jan 2007, 22:39
I agree - and confess I posted it with tongue in direction of cheek. ;)

The change is announced in the first FODCOM of 2007
Paragraph 2.4 says "The newly adopted definition refers to ‘incorrect presence’ rather than ‘unauthorised or unplanned presence’. Therefore, incidents resulting from ATC error will now be captured as runway incursions i.e. those occasions when a pilot correctly follows the issued clearance but where the clearance itself was erroneous resulting in an ‘incorrect presence’ on the runway will now be defined as runway incursions."

The CAA asks AOC holders to ensure that notice of the change is copied to "......... relevant outside contractors, and to all members of their staff who could have an interest in the information or who need to take appropriate action in response to this Communication"
and is notifying Aerodrome Licensees and Air Navigation Services Providers separately - via a Notice to Aerodrome Licensees (NOTAL) and an Air Traffic Services Information Notice (ATSIN).

zalt
7th Jan 2007, 11:45
On the basis that the "MOR procedure is unchanged" and that the "CAA SRG will decide whether a reported runway incursion was a runway incursion" you might wonder who does "need to take appropriate action in response to this Communication" other than the CAA themselves.

Pehaps someone gets a bonus for issuing FODCOMs.

Spitoon
7th Jan 2007, 14:59
I think the original definition used in the UK was intended to distinguish between incidents that arose because of controller issued an incorrect clearance to enter the runway (i.e. ATC error) and those where the pilot/driver incorrectly believed they were cleared to use the runway. The reasoning being that the two types of error occur for different reasons and need to be addressed in different ways.

The earlier definition was also developed before there was any consistent description of what a runway incursion was - there were many competing definitions, all broadly the same. Later ICAO developed an international 'standard' definition, which was adopted by Eurocontrol for use in its work across the region, and it seems that all the CAA is now doing is harmonising with the more widely adopted definition.

What is more interesting is that the phrase 'the protected area of a surface designated for the landing and take-off of aircraft' remains in the ICAO definition. But I've never been sure what the protected area is.

In reality, as already suggested, it doesn't make any difference in practise because it's intended to allow data on the numbers (and, I guess, ultimately, the causes) of runway incursions to be monitored and compared against a consistent baseline........and if you die because of a collision on a runway the statistics aren't going to matter to you.