PDA

View Full Version : FI

StevenN
5th Jan 2007, 16:21
Hi,

I am thinking about doing an Instructors Rating in Spain (the main reason for this is it’s cheaper then the UK).

My questions are as follows –

1) By getting the rating from a Spanish school would it effect my chances of getting a job in the UK i.e would a UK school look unfavourable on this.

2) Can I teach in the UK if the rating was issued in Spain (I have a JAA FATPL issued in the UK).

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Steve

LEVC
5th Jan 2007, 22:21
This subject has been already covered a while ago, do a search and you'll find the answers which are:

1- No, the only reason that could be a problem is your lack of knowledge about flying in UK, but you have done all your training over there so i don't think it will matter

2- yes, the rating will be issued by the CAA even if you did it in another country

Apart from the answers you'll find different opinions about it, including some of people who are in charge of FTO's in UK and their point of view.

Good luck:ok:

StrateandLevel
6th Jan 2007, 16:07
To do the FI course properly it takes 4-5 weeks to cover the 125 hours theoretical training and the 30 hours flying.
See how long the course is, and if it matches up to that basic fact!
The UK will not add the rating if it didn't include spinning! I believe they now ask for evidence of that.

papazulu
6th Jan 2007, 19:38
The UK will not add the rating if it didn't include spinning! I believe they now ask for evidence of that.

How do you give this evidence then? I know that FAA ask Certificated FI to carry a SPIN RECOVERY endorsement on their logbook. Is UK CAA asking something like this? I did my FI course under JAA syllabus but I have not such evidence...

Regards

PZ :ok:

StrateandLevel
7th Jan 2007, 11:48
If there is any doubt regarding a course of training, they request the Training Records.

If the applicant doesn't show spinning in the logbook or is completed in less than the normal time, they will check.

LEVC
7th Jan 2007, 11:51
They had this problem with the first british guy that went there for the FIC in 2003, i was told by the individual in the UK CAA that takes care of this things, I was working at the time instructing in a registered facility in UK, he was involved in the aproval to do FIC courses in the registered facility and was aware i had spanish licence and the FIC done in Aerofan, so he comented brieffly about the matter.
After this case they sorted that out,it has to specify that you performed spining in the papers you get from the school, the ones you send to the UK CAA together with the exam form, it has to say there all you did.
That's the way you give evidence of it, in any case check it with the CAA before you do anything.
If you want to save some money and do a decent course is a good option, in any case do a search and try to talk to british guys having done the FIC in Aerofan, see what was their experience.
I did mine in 2003, cost was 4300 Euros, 10 hours in C150 the rest in Bonanza.
Price didn't include exam fees.
Did 3 weeks theory full time and after, the flying, the flying took 10 days + or -, so all done in roughly over a month, say a month and a week take or give 2 days, i can't remember the exact dates.
Good luck

Whopity
7th Jan 2007, 12:21
Did 3 weeks theory full time and after the flyingAs the theory is all about learning how to teach, the preparation of teaching material and the pre-flight briefs. How on earth can you do it after you have done the flying? What was the flying based on? The two should be integrated as one depends on the other.

LEVC
7th Jan 2007, 12:41
I did 3 weeks of theory followed by 10 days flying
Is that better explained?, i thought you needed to be able to think and analyze to be a pilot, but i can see is not always the case.:ugh:

I really don't want to get in arguing about if the course is better or worse than the ones you can get in UK, there are better and worse i am sure of it, what i can tell you is that is good (remember what JAR compliant means?) and cheap compared to other schools (there are expensive schools in Spain too).

The qualiy of the course is not dependable on the country you do the course, there are good and bad schools in Spain, as much as there are in UK or other -jar countries.

Whopity
7th Jan 2007, 13:14
As an instructor you should be careful in your choice of words, or the student may confuse them, and think you mean something entirely different. Never assume, CHECK! Basic ingredients of the FI theory training!

LEVC
7th Jan 2007, 13:39
we are not flying or instructing here, just trying to help somebody that needs some info.:ok:

StevenN
15th Jan 2007, 11:11
Thank you all for your responses - I have found them very helpful.
Steve