PDA

View Full Version : Jakarta to Singapore - Who to fly with?

FairPayer
3rd Jan 2007, 23:12
Hi all,

My wife is going out to Jakarta with Lufthansa to see some friends for a week. She wants to go to Singapore for a couple of days to see other friends and I need to book her a return flight from Jakarta.

I was going to book her on Lion Air but on checking I see they have a very questionable safety record. Can anyone recommend who the best airline to fly with are? I believe the Lufthansa to Frankfurt flight stops off in Singapore but it's a midnight flight and not good timing to be arriving into someones house so a morning/day flight is the preference but not at the expense of safety.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cyrano
4th Jan 2007, 08:48
Singapore Airlines would be my choice (carriers on the route: SQ, Garuda, Qatar, Thai, Valuair/Jetstar, Philippine Airlines and Air India). Reasons: decent choice of frequencies and times, aircraft not stopping off en route to/from somewhere else so better likelihood it's on time, and good safety record. You'll likely pay extra for these positives.

(PS I don't think Lufthansa has traffic rights to carry passengers just on the Jakarta-Singapore leg.)

FairPayer
4th Jan 2007, 09:03
Hi Cyrano,

Perfect response thanks. Singapore Airlines it is for all the reasons you gave.

Much obliged.

FairPayer

ManfredvonRichthofen
4th Jan 2007, 14:21
I was very impressed with Jetstar

And not only because it was practically free

rmac
7th Jan 2007, 12:50
LH did have Jakarta-Singapore rights, but I think they now do FRA-BKK-JKT instead.

Singapore and Thai are good, Garuda is fine but not repeat not any of the other domestic carriers, unless you are looking to get rid of your wife of course :}

Rush2112
9th Jan 2007, 01:39
If cost is not a consideration, SQ is the only logical choice - plenty of flights, flexibility etc. That said, LH is a very reasonable price, as little as SGD100+taxes if you book a week or so in advance. My wife used them to go down for Idhul Fitri and said they were fine, but only one flight per day, and evening flights both sectors, ex SIN at 1850 and ex CGK 2010.

Garuda OK, but as someone else noted, no other Indo carrier should be used under any circumstances.

There are other carriers, eg Gulf, Emirates etc but again, only one flight a day and timing not always the best. Try Zuji?

TG used to have a flight SIN - BKK that stopped in SIN which was early morning if I remember rightly.