PDA

View Full Version : PA31 Melbourne.

brown_eyes
3rd Jan 2007, 00:49
I have just obtained my PA31 endorsement and was wondering where I could get some experience on type to consolidate the endorsement. I am based in Melbourne and would prefer some night freight runs if possible.

I have a current MECIR with 50 hours on twins. If anybody has any suggestions could you please PM me.

Thanks

BE.

Ratshit
3rd Jan 2007, 05:46
"... I have just obtained my PA31 endorsement and was wondering where I could get some experience on type to consolidate the endorsement ..."

In a PA31 might be a good start!

R:cool:

(ducks for cover!)

jetbrett
3rd Jan 2007, 05:57
Good Luck to you, I think you might be dreaming.....and may I ask why you got your Chieftain endo if you didnt have something lined up to use it??

witwiw
3rd Jan 2007, 06:05
only place i know that does night freight in the melbourne area using Chiefs is Tasfast at Moorabbin. Don't know their minimums however.

king island airlines run chieftains, but not sure whether its pax+freight or if they run some freight only flights; or whether its at night or day.....

novicef
3rd Jan 2007, 08:01
Perhaps if you also obtained an Aerocommander endorsement your chances would improve. Try GAM.

ALLICEDUP
3rd Jan 2007, 08:30
I would not bother with GAM with only 50 hrs multi, minimum would be more like 150 but even more likely over 200 hrs

402bitch
3rd Jan 2007, 18:48
Try Sharp Airlines for an ICUS block rate. Its not cheap but you will learn to fly the machine properly. visit www.sharpairlines.com.au (http://www.sharpairlines.com.au). It should put you in good stead later on down the track when that twin job somes up...........................eventually.:ok:

brown_eyes
6th Jan 2007, 03:08
Seeing I can’t get any flying out of Melbourne I am quite willing to move else where to get the 50 hours. Need to have it by March. If somebody could assist could you please PM me.

aldee
6th Jan 2007, 18:58
Maybe give Glen or James at Altitude Aviation in Newcastle a call

locknut
9th Jan 2007, 08:24
As much as i hate to say it and hate pilots and operators that destroy the industry for others, try paul lions out of jandakot, WA. He'll treat you like sh*t and pay you next to nothing but you'll get some good experience. GAM's won't give you a job with 50hrs or anyone else in vic. If you can get another 50hrs and 1000hrs total you might have a shot at fugro airborne surveys. Wouldn't bother doing an AC50 endo, like you'd be able to get one to do an ensdorsement anyway in vic. Jandakot flight center might give you a look in if you have an instructor rating answell. Or you could jsut go north, whats your total time like? Like someone said before, why did you do the endorsement?

Titanium_Sandwich
10th Jan 2007, 03:29
just my 2c - Why not?

If 2 young pilots walk through the door, one with and one without, and they were the same otherwise I know who I'd hire. Shows initiative I think, good luck!

tlf
10th Jan 2007, 08:38
just my 2c - Why not?

If 2 young pilots walk through the door, one with and one without, and they were the same otherwise I know who I'd hire. Shows initiative I think, good luck!

Yeah well wait until you are next in line for an upgrade to something like a Conquest and you find some part time prick walks through the door and says Hi I'd like to buy an endorsement please and then starts doing flying which is rightfully yours as a full time employee of the company. It seems from this thread there's way too many pricks out there screwing people over.

locknut
10th Jan 2007, 11:13
I agree with tlf, where do you draw the line???

Jamair
11th Jan 2007, 11:10
then starts doing flying which is rightfully yours as a full time employee of the company always love hearing about employees RIGHTS to tell their employers what to do.......:rolleyes:

Back on track, Australasian Jet at EN does a night freight every night of the week out of EN to Tassie and back, in a PA31. Go see Rob Parker, the CP.

Chris Higgins
11th Jan 2007, 15:05
Yeah well wait until you are next in line for an upgrade to something like a Conquest and you find some part time prick walks through the door and says Hi I'd like to buy an endorsement please and then starts doing flying which is rightfully yours as a full time employee of the company. It seems from this thread there's way too many pricks out there screwing people over.

Yeah, kind of like going to an airline and paying for a type rating..

Sorry:ugh:

Transition Layer
11th Jan 2007, 21:09
In Sydney, give Tim a call at Australia by Air/Skymaster, they have a freight run or two with some ICUS spots every now and then.

http://www.skymaster.com.au

cheers

tlf
12th Jan 2007, 03:24
always love hearing about employees RIGHTS to tell their employers what to do.......:rolleyes:

So you feel that it's ok for a career pilot to lose opportunites to advance within a company every time some hobby pilot walks through the door with a bundle of cash to spend.

Jamair
13th Jan 2007, 03:04
It is the right of the employer to manage his assets - including personnel - as he sees fit. It is the right of the employee to take himself (as an asset) somewhere else if he doesn't like the employers manner of doing business.

That said, if that event actually occurred - ie that an employer accepted a payment from a new hire to undertake a rating or endorsement and in doing so current employees were disadvantaged, then there are at least three messages:

1. The boss is using you; leave.
2. The boss thinks you are not competent for that job; get your ****e together
3. The new employee demonstrated greater merit than you for the position; get over it.

Maybe you should initiate a conversation with him and determine which of these is the case and how to address them?

bushy
13th Jan 2007, 05:15
There appear to be a number of charter companies that depend on new "employees" paying for icus during charter flights in order to do cheap charter. The employees are generally on contract, and paid by the flying hour after they have finishrd paying for their icus.
The better operators look after their employees, and look to the long term. The good employees do too.
I'm not sure of the legality of doing bicus during charetr flights.

bullamakanka
13th Jan 2007, 10:57
Hey Brown Eyes

Maybe getting a job at a company with singles, then BE58/310, then PA31/ bigger may be they way to go?

Get a 3 yr plan, and stick to it. Find a few companies who can offer what you need and approach them, but in turn be prepared to give them what they require over that period. Work hard, etc etc....

There are not to many short cuts , sorry mate.....

weedflying
4th Feb 2007, 08:04
Jamair?

your advising a 50 hr twin pilot with a fresh chieftan endorsement to ask for a job flying one of the hardest single pilot night freight runs in the country?? Yea, go ahead and call Rob.... wait.... I can just hear his laughter from here!

Jamair
4th Feb 2007, 11:06
In my personal experience with Rob Parker, I found him to be very open and helpful; a straight shooter who has a big company and lots of pilots to manage. He gave me a hand when I needed one, without any obligation to do so, and some sound advice. He also makes damn fine coffee.:D

I advised the original poster to go and talk to him - what Rob may or may not be willing to do for the guy probably depends on how he comes across.

ICUS on that run is entirely possible, unless something has changed in the six months since I last spoke to him on the subject.

I was being helpful to someone who asked for info - in what way are you trying to assist?:suspect:

MBA747
4th Feb 2007, 12:59
Weedflying,

Hopefully you have learnt something about aviation having left Aust. It’s the old goats who spent several years flying butterflies some of whom made it into the airlines and some who didn’t who promote the vast amount of experience required to fly a toy.
As you allude to the fact that by being in the UAE you are flying for a major airline, you must have experienced the low hour FO’s in the right hand seat. A PA31 is a turbo charged light twin flying slightly faster than a C210. It’s only a plane, but then to fly a twin in Aust. properly, one should have 500 hours on light twins and be able to walk on water to fly a jet.
I had 500 hours total when I started flying in PNG in a BN2 there were others employed at the same time that had no twin experience to mention, others not even a twin endorsement.
We all survived some of us working in reputable airlines. I would say a person with primary school education a bit of common sense and proper training would have no difficulty in flying a PA31.

OpsNormal
4th Feb 2007, 20:10
Why is it so "hard" weedflying?

Geeze let me see now..... Radar, CTA, good equipment, cool weather (good performance characteristics), big company, short sectors etc etc. All in all, a fantastic opportunity for an up and coming candidate. :D :D :ok:

Downsides.... Dark (hey that is probably an upside for the LB in all reality), kinda icy in winter (but hey, that is what a weather forecast and TAFs are for isn't it? For working out a preferred route away from ice). :ugh:

weedflying. I suggest you try it like this:

Jamair. You're advising a 50 hr twin pilot with a fresh Chieftain endorsement to ask for a job flying one of the hardest single pilot night freight runs in the country? Yeah, go ahead and call Rob.... Wait.... I can just hear his laughter from here!

Like many of the feeble attempts at posting here of late, learn how to properly string a few well chosen, properly syntaxed words together and people might take you more seriously.:=

weedflying
5th Feb 2007, 02:37
Opsnormal; thanks for the grammar check. I hastily tapped my post through my PDA during a quick turn-a-round at BAH. I failed to complete the properly stringing a few well chosen , properly syntaxed words together checklist, thanks for the cross check.

It would appear from the response my post received that my meaning was somehow lost in translation. So; push up, pitch up, clean up; and let’s have another go.
____________________________________________________________ ____________

From an old “Freight Dog’s” point of view, a low-time pilot, especially one who is low time on type, should not be flying the Tasmanian freight run. In my day it was Par-Avion, and those guys had their hands full. From memory the run has about four months out of the year with nice weather, and the remaining eight are either flying in conditions conducive to moderate to severe icing, or having to deal with the Tassie fog.

You are right about using weather forecasts to avoid the ice, but it really isn’t that simple. The requirement to get there “on-time’, or the fear of increasing a sector time to route around the weather might cost you the job, etc… creates an environment of huge commercial pressure; and a low time pilot might find it overwhelming. My advice would be to look for something a little more relaxing whilst you build your time on type. Allow yourself the time to focus on flying the airplane; without worrying about just how much ice it can still fly with (but if you are interested the chieftain will start porpoising with a slight aft CG when the ice covers the VG s on the wing).

When did they get radar in Tassie?