PDA

View Full Version : Rules regarding the Skills Test

SFH
1st Jan 2007, 23:47
I felt it more appropriate putting this questions at all the instructors, than simply putting it in the private flying section.
Straightforward question really, Is it possible to fully complete all exams/tests for the (JAA)PPL at sixteen and then obtain it at seventeen? My initial thoughts were that all of the ground exams could be completed due to the fact some are needed for solo and if anything you would need to be seventeen for the Skills test? But I have no knowledge into the official requirements, So hoping some might be able to educate me?
(Of course funding at sixteen is a whole topic in its own.;))

Thanks

BEagle
2nd Jan 2007, 07:04
You must pass all the JAR-FCL PPL(A) theoretical knowledge exams within an 18 month period; they are then valid for 24 months from the date of passing the last exam.

So, if you passed your last exam on the day after your 15th birthday, they would still be valid if your took your PPL Skill Test on your 17th birthday.

Whopity
2nd Jan 2007, 21:56
If the questions are about the Skill Test you may find this useful:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_19_A.PDF
Notes for the Guidance of Applicants taking the PPL Skill Test (Aeroplanes)

EvilKitty
3rd Jan 2007, 12:32
Interestingly neither LASORS, SRG_FCL_19_A, nor the ANO actually answer the question as asked. (unless I missed it in the small print somewhere)

All three documents agree that you have to be 17 in order to apply for the licence to be issued. LASORS goes further and states that

An applicant for a JAR-FCL PPL(A) shall be at least 17
years of age but some of the required qualifications for
the grant of the licence may be gained earlier.
Applicants should ensure that any qualifications gained
earlier will still be valid at the time they plan to apply for
the grant of the licence. (emphasis mine)

but helpfully doesn't then state which qualifications may be granted earlier.:ugh:

My reading of them is that you can do everything up to the application prior to your 17th birthday, then send off the application on the day itself, but its probably worth checking to see if your CFI or examiner can give a definitive answer to the question. Alternatively give the SRG unit a call (and let us know what they said!)

Whopity
3rd Jan 2007, 14:09
Is it possible to fully complete all exams/tests for the (JAA)PPL at sixteen and then obtain it at seventeen?
Then try CAP393 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF)

Schedule 8 gives the minimum age for License Issue 17 years
Article 26 states the minimum age for acting as PIC of an aeroplane under training: 16 years

There are no other limitations so the answer is YES

2close
3rd Jan 2007, 18:46
You can start logging dual time on your logbook from 14.

You can fly solo from 16.

You can take the Skills Test from 16 but prior to your 17th birthday.

You can be issued your licence on your 17th birthday.

There was a well documented case two years back of a young lad from Kent who was issued with his licence on his 17th birthday, despite it being a Sunday. As I recall someone at the CAA actually took the trouble to go into work on the Sunday with the one intention of issuing the licence - they're not all bad, see.

2close

SFH
4th Jan 2007, 11:32
Thanks everyone who replied, this certainly opens up more options as regards to what route to take to obtain the PPL. The guidelines are a bit vague when it comes to certain details. But I can't imagine theirs all too many 16/17 year olds willing to dish out £5000-£7000 on the license.

Thanks again