PDA

View Full Version : Landed Immigrant Status...

quietfrog
1st Jan 2007, 05:25
For all of us Yanks out there who might be interested in working in Canada, if we are able to get our Canadian licenses with this new waiver pragram, how difficult will it be for us to get "Landed Immigrant Status" with the Canadian government so we can get a flying job in Canada, assuming we already work at FAA 121 regional carriers in the USA?

any help would be appreciated...

-sincerely, QF

20driver
1st Jan 2007, 05:50
I think the expression is slim to none. Pilots are not covered under NAFTA and there is a permanent pilot surplus in Canada to put it mildly.
Don't think it will happen short of marrying the right gal/guy - the chocie is yours.
20driver

Panama Jack
1st Jan 2007, 11:08
You would need to be a) drunk, and b) all out on drugs, to want to work in the Canadian aviation industry if you are flying at an FAR Part 121 carrier in the USA, to put it mildly. Even though the US aviation industry may look bad, I assure you, the Canadian one is even more demoralizing.

wannabepilot1531
2nd Jan 2007, 03:50
What about vice versa?... all us canadians that want to come work in the US now that this easier licence conversion method has arose. how can we get the right to work in the US??

Panama Jack
2nd Jan 2007, 04:16
as 20driver said, marriage is one of the few options.

wannabepilot1531
2nd Jan 2007, 17:40
so you're saying that there is absolutely no way to obtain the 'right' to work in the US without either being born there, or marrying a US citizen. I find that hard to believe. I thought there was a way someone could get the right to work, and find a job in the US. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Panama Jack
2nd Jan 2007, 19:19
Wannabe.

I suggest you consult with a lawyer who specializes in US Immigration. Most offer a free consultation, and as you list your location being Toronto, I am sure that there are also some in the Toronto area (or if not take the trip to Buffalo).

As they specialize in this area of law, they can give you a better assessment of your chances, based on your own personal circumstances, than anybody else on this Forum can. If they can help you, I am sure it will be worth the further investment of retaining a lawyer.

Good luck.

ACL1011
2nd Jan 2007, 21:21
My husband is currently in the process of getting his visa and permanent residency. We were told by several sources, including an immigration officer, that if you can read the instructions, don't bother with a lawyer. You are essentially paying them to read over your application before you send it off and the instructions are relatively straightforward.
Be forewarned, though, that Immigration Canada is an entity unto itself. Without going into details (mostly because we'll be here all day as I rant), what we were initially assured would be a 4 month process since he is coming from the UK is now at one year and counting. They are not very forthcoming, you cannot speak with your immigration officer, you get different answers from the operators who man the phone, rules change, the website is difficult to navigate etc. etc. We were even told not to contact our MP since that would slow the process further. :ugh:
We found the following website, an unofficial forum, to provide support and much useful advice:
http://www.roadtocanada.com/
Good luck

Panama Jack
3rd Jan 2007, 03:37
Yes, the Canadian process is quite straight forward. Either you meet the qualifying criteria, or you don't, and then it is just a matter of time.

The website looks interesting. I thought you were pointing me to another which is rather critical of Canada as an immigration destination- http://www.notcanada.com/

ACL1011
3rd Jan 2007, 13:56
The website looks interesting. I thought you were pointing me to another which is rather critical of Canada as an immigration destination- http://www.notcanada.com/
I briefly browsed that website once, but got a little frustrated when I saw people ranting about the hard time foreign MDs have getting a Canadian medical license. Although I think we do not offer enough placements for foreign MDs, I strongly agree with the process used to ensure foreign MDs are qualified to practice here. I have seen first-hand that a foreign medical degree does not equal a Canadian medical degree. I was also not impressed with the top eight reasons not to immigrate to Canada (weather? LOL), although I'm biased since this is my home.

Chuck Ellsworth
3rd Jan 2007, 23:18
Hmm...... I wonder if foreign pilot training is up to Canadian standards? :E