PDA

View Full Version : FO role

littlejet
1st Jan 2007, 04:52
CM1(CPT) is PF. CM2(FO) is PM. CM1 makes perfectly stable approach but makes late flare and it is becoming obvious that it is going to be a hard one.
What can FO do at that time? Callout? Takeover?
We have a system in our aircraft that will detect this condition (hard landing) and it will be sent to the fleet office.
Our SOP states that the FO, can take over only in case of cpt incapacitation or "serious" breach of safety.
Any advices?

cheers

ElNino
1st Jan 2007, 10:54
If the flare is that late, there won't be time to do anything about it. Even if you wanted to, which you don't. A transfer (or ambiguity) of control in the flare is not a place to be. Anyway, a hard landing for a late flare is not a "serious" breach of safety. You say that a record would go to the fleet office, however I suspect a "hard" landing incurred from juts a late flare would be nowhere near hard enough to warrant such a report. It may feel hard to all on board, but I doubt the machine would be bothered.

Dream Land
17th Jan 2007, 08:08
Yes I agree with previous post, along the same lines is this, if you suspect a "hard" landing, what led up to it, why didn't you make a crew awareness call, tail wind, high ROD, if you do take control, what will you do, pull, push, go around?
Like previously mentioned, if the approach up to that point was ok, a late flare, probably wouldn't cause a hard landing.
D.L.

Tight Slot
17th Jan 2007, 16:00
Whilst in the RHS i did once take over in the flare. Capt had just changed types and was very new on the aircraft. Landing into XXX after a very busy app. he had memory lock and treated it like his old mount. Chopping the power at 50ft rad alt, hauling back on the yolk and then waiting for the main gear to touch... oh dear. Sir Issac Newton took over and...

I said I have control, gave it full throttle, and pitched down to stop the tail hitting the hard stuff first. No time to go around, just did what I could to keep the plane in one piece. We hit fairly hard still, but no harm done to the A/C, had a heavy landing check there and then.

The Capt, to his credit thanked me as soon as we came onto the gate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its the thing to do by any means but every now and then, when the situation dictates, someones got to prevent a bump...