PDA

View Full Version : variable contact lenses

airac
1st Jan 2007, 00:56
Just a quicky since the trial doesn't last that long :rolleyes:

Any body got any experience re variable contact lenses.
I've tried them ,during day light hours ,oK, but at night well :{
I personally don't think they'll be any good to use in VCR as well as RADAR
BUT if any body else has gone through the trial I really would appreciate more information

radarman
1st Jan 2007, 13:22
A lot depends on the visual problems which require you to wear lenses, and the strength of correction needed. When all I had was myopia and mild astigmatism, ordinary soft contact lenses worked a treat, day and night. As years passed I also developed hyper? um... er... the thing that makes you need to hold the Telegraph further away to focus. I tried lenses with a sort of Fresnel arrangement i.e. concentric rings of differing focal length. Trouble was that they had to be hard, and my eyes couldn't get used to this type of lens again having been on soft ones for so long. I found these Fresnel ones awful at night - any bright light was surrounded by haloes and multicoloured rings. Obviously no good for Tower! My optician then suggested I try using different lenses in each eye - one to correct for myopia and astigmatism, the other for astigmatism and the long-arm problem. One eye was good for close work, the other fine for distance. Sounds weird, but apparently the brain automatically selects the clearer image and after a while you are not aware through which eye you are receiving the clear image. OK in theory, but I couldn't get them strong enough to cope with reading in the dark, so in the end I had to give up completely and go back to glasses. I'm talking of twelve years ago, and optical technology may well have moved on since then. Best of luck, but you need to check with the CAA medical branch before you try anything too fancy. Have you tried the 'Medical' forum?

airac
1st Jan 2007, 15:36
[QUOTE=radarman Have you tried the 'Medical' forum?[/QUOTE]

Had a quick look but I reckoned this would generate a quicker response from operational Atcos. Basically it's the old age thing where first its just for reading then also for long distance. The lenses sound similar to your old Hard
Fresnel type only now they are soft VERY comfortable but basically totally useless in the dark. Any thing solid thats lit like an apron or RWY then fine but if its just lights in the distance the old brain can't decide which eye to use so blurs the lot. Pity.
Thanks for info but alas I think its back to Glasses:8