PDA

View Full Version : Opening a flying school ???

ultimatepro63
31st Dec 2006, 14:31
Hi All,

Im wondering if any of you now whats involved with starting up a flying shcool e.g aircraft, base, employing instructors ?

ultimatepro63
1st Jan 2007, 13:07
If you wouldnt mind telling us how much you had to put away to open your flying school ?

Mark 1
2nd Jan 2007, 10:56
I believe that it's free of charge to register a PPL training facility with the CAA. The requirements are set out in http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_11.PDF

As for the other costs, it will be very dependent on the host airfield, location, competition etc. Any licensed field will almost certainly have an existing training facility, who will have an established relationship with the airfield owner/operator. Quite possibly the owners may have their own training facility and not welcome any competition.

Premises can be rented, aircraft leased and instructors engaged for not much capital outlay.

Brings to mind the old adage "How do you make a small fortune in aviation?"....

pembroke
5th Jan 2007, 16:11
Few points re the above
1)
Make a sound and realistic business plan, and have it reviewed by a non aviator. Expect to only break even during the first couple of years.Every flight,everything you do down to selling a humble Mars bar must make a profit.Also open a "client account" that protects a students block purchase in event of the school folding.Ensure that your responsibilities as an employer are gold plated, eg Insurance, Health and Safety etc
2)
Make sure that you have a contract with the airfield that covers expected costs over a set period, and build in higher than inflation costs for expected price rises.
3)
Initially lease aircraft and make sure that any lease covers maintenance to an agreed standard. Keep it simple, eg 2X C152, 2X PA28 or C172
4)
Appoint a CFI. As an "RF" this is not required but will set the standard of instruction, the most important part of any school.
5)
Appoint and cost in competent ops staff. Make sure you have a robust customer link, by e mail, 'phone or fax.
6)
Make sure you have one permament FI. Suplement with part time FI's when necessary but be careful and make sure any FI is checked by the CFI and has a probationary period. Agree on a uniform / dress code.
7)
All staff should have written contracts, be they employees, self employed or Ltd Co.
8)
Have a attractive and interactive web site.
9)
Encourage group ownership for post PPL, either shares or on school owned aircraft.
10)
Finally before you start go to a club/ school and see for yourself what's good and not so good! I personally would recommend the following examples of how to do it properly, and I'm sure, and I hope there are many more.
Leicester Aero Club, Lydd Aero Club, Sussex Flying Club ,Shoreham.

jamestkirk
8th Jan 2007, 14:20
You can also go to the companies house website and download the end of year financial reports for whatever flying school you wish to have a look at. Basic report is £2.00. You can then get more detailed reports if necessary.

They will not tell you everything you need to know but can give some interesting information.

Kaptain Kremen
24th Jan 2007, 14:36
Or purchase a small school with potential and make it bigger and better. Then you have at least some current students as income while you improve the facilities.
KK

sidtheesexist
27th Jan 2007, 15:28
mark 1 - absolutely! Start a flying school with a large fortune..............

In all seriousness, I take my hat off to Cross-wind and refunk - it's such a tough business to eke out a living - I admire your get up and go and determination. There's another useful thread re FI salaries and one of the posters makes the point that the strong pound is making US PPLs EVEN more attractive at this time thereby increasing the pressure to be v competitive back here in the UK.

Best of luck to all. Cheers, Sid :ok: