PDA

View Full Version : J41 Vs Emb120

scrat
31st Dec 2006, 13:31
I m looking for more info about the J41 Jetstream and Embraer 120.
Views by the pilots and mechanics.
Ops , range, payload, mechanic
which one is the best?
thanks
scrat

Cardinal
4th Jan 2007, 00:37
EMB-120ER: (RT's functional, but lower MTOW and horrendous high alt performance.)
MTOW 26433 lbs.
MZFW 24030
MLW 25794
BOW 17500-ish with one F/A, minimal stores.
Can take 2400 pounds of fuel before it cut's into payload. She'll burn a combined 1500/hr down low in the climb, 1000/hr in cruise. Can get a pretty reliable 290-295 KTAS above FL200. The aircraft burns less fuel per mile than a B1900D. Stellar performance at low altitudes and temperatures. Max weight up to 40C at sea level. Not a hot/high heavy lifter, however. At 5400 MSL, we start taking weight hits at a temperature of 10C, MTOW at 40C at that elevation is down 3-4000 pounds.
Not a maintenance hog, but does require regular TLC, and can be quirky at times. Can't think of any particular part that is under-designed such that it breaks regularly. Landing gear always comes down, but indications are a lot less reliable. Flaps are one of the weaker systems, poorly designed but over-engineered. Keep the tracks clean and they work just fine, but one squirt of WD-40 in the tracks from an overzealous mechanic and you're headed down a long road of disagreements, and assymetries. PW118 engines are great, start cool, run cool, relatively quiet, extremely reliable. The props have killed two planeloads of people, but Hamilton Standard seems to have worked out the problems that caused the overspeeds and blade failures. Each aircraft has a personality. The first 100 or so serial numbers, in fact, are wired uniquely, i.e., specific wiring diagrams for that MSN.
A fun airplane. Heavy on the ailerons, mild in pitch, positively twitchy in the yaw axis. Rudder trim adjustment required with ANY power/airspeed change. Garrett GTCP-150 APU is reliable, pretty effective, and a huge asset. I like the Brasilia, buy one!