PDA

View Full Version : 80% Boeing winds?

flightopsab
30th Dec 2006, 17:49
Folks,

Trying to get some info or at least some documentation on what exactly is Boeing 80% winds. What kind of information is used to colect that data and what is the other 20% comprised of.. Couldn't find anything online, so I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction

Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
Andy

galaxy flyer
30th Dec 2006, 20:13
The Boeing Company developed "average" winds over nearly every city-pair in the world. Then they established various levels of probability of head or tail wind components over those routes. Hence a 50% probability of a 35 knot headwind, for example, means half of the time the headwind component will be 35 knots or less and half of the time greater than 35 knots. The usual standard for planners and range estimates is 85% probability winds i.e. the headwind will not exceed that component 85% of the time.

I have not been able to find them, I believe Boeing keeps them as proprietary information, selling to others, as fits there desires.

GF

Old Aero Guy
30th Dec 2006, 20:17
Boeing published a book some years ago that shows the winds on various city pair airway/jet routes based on annual, seasonal and monthly conditions. The wind levels are expressed as a function of probability.

An 80% probability headwind would mean you could expect to encounter a wind of that level or lower 80% of the time. The wind would be higher 20% of the time.

An 80% probability tailwind would mean you could expect to encounter a wind of that level or higher 80% of the time. The wind would be lower 20% of the time.

The book has been converted to a computer program that has been updated over the years for new routes and observed weather conditions.

leonard17F
16th May 2018, 08:37
Gentlemen,
I know that this is a very old thread but I would be extremely interested in obtaining a copy of this Boeing book.
Thanks a million !

compressor stall
16th May 2018, 08:55
They're as rare as hen's teeth. Probably not required as now you can do the same on Jetplan, Universal computer etc flight planners

leonard17F
16th May 2018, 08:59
Thanks Compressor, I know..
But I am looking for statisitical data for general planning and general aircraft performance, not for specific conditions on a given day...

mutt
17th May 2018, 04:22
Boeing stopped publishing the book, the data is no offered by them online.

compressor stall
17th May 2018, 05:07
It doesn’t help you if you don’t have access to it, but those planning programs offer the ability to calculate statistical data - varying the reliability percentage and restricting it to months / seasons of the year.

leonard17F
19th May 2018, 15:07
OK, thanks a lot to All ! I will try to "play" with the Jeppesen App at work and see what we can do with it