PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Flight Deck Light Reflector

Slopwith
30th Dec 2006, 15:35
A colleague at work had a little round reflector that clipped onto the cleverly placed useless golf ball/fish eye lights on the A320/321. I say useless because although they are the brightest lights on the flight deck, apart from jumpseat guys and illuimating the thrust levers they do not do anything useful, leaving one to struggle on in the gloom. The early buses at least had a good light on the pillar, but the new ones only have a candle pointing at the chart clip at the bottom of the DV window that is not steerable or six candle bulbs under the glareshield that are supposed to illuinate the table but don't and nine times out of ten have bulbs blown making it even gloomier.
This reflector had a little adjustable mirror that allowed one to direct light from the fish light to the table.
Does any one know where to get one?
PS How do Airbus get away with such P*** poor lighting-(yes I understand the 330 is better-great, it couldn't be any worse.:suspect:

PAXboy
30th Dec 2006, 15:59
Before this goes to the Technical forum...

Try an automotive spares supply shop. The sell mirrors with adhesive but some with a suction cup mounting for people to observe children in the rear seat and when teaching someone to drive. In the UK, Halfords have a couple of items.

beardy
30th Dec 2006, 16:03
You will find it here
http://www.airbusdriver.net/

under 'airbus night light'

TopBunk
30th Dec 2006, 16:07
six candle bulbs under the glareshield that are supposed to illuinate the table but don't and nine times out of ten have bulbs blown making it even gloomier.

How do Airbus get away with such P*** poor lighting-(yes I understand the 330 is better-great, it couldn't be any worse.:suspect:

(1) Well for a start put the defective lights in the tech log - I frequently used to find the same problem and found that, if snagged, the engineers replaced the failed elements pronto.....(2) and don't accept the defect ex-base before a night flight ..... (3) check them before a night flight for the nex crew- all you have to do is bend down a little to see them.

Pi$$ poor lighting, with the exception of the lighting in the table and chart area I disagree [albeit the most important areas!], the general surround lights are better than Boeings, imho

Slopwith
30th Dec 2006, 18:49
Thank you Beardy. Will check it out forthwith. Tried all sorts of words in Google to find it but not that. Mind you, was in Homebase Yesterday and they had little LED battery powered puck lights at the checkout so I got one and put some velcro on it and above the table. Tried it today and it works a treat-I can read the small print at last!
Top bunk. Yes I do check and ask Captain to enter in TL. B757 and 767 lighting seemed fine. Also find it staggering that we have to keep the dome light on as per SOP's at night so basically even when you don't want light, one is still in doom and gloom. How can you have an aircraft where in an electrical failure the pax have lighting and we don't unless we have the dome light on-first thing I was taught was the gap to turn it on.
Milligan "the room was lit by as single bulb which when switched on, made the room darker"!
Happy New year all. Thanks again Beardy.