PDA

View Full Version : Zero to instuctor advice

MarkE
30th Dec 2006, 11:53
Hi,
Some advice please from you experienced PPruner's, I'm interested in changing career to become a flight instructor..yes I know the pays lousy but its what I've always wanted to do, I'm to old to be going for the airlines(42). Selling house to finance training.
All I want to do is instruct on single engine a/c intially. can you please confirm what ratings I need and what order to do this. Approx costs etc.
I don't feel I need to go for the full CPL/IR just the CPL(A)single engine with IMC rating and FI ticket.

Any advice would be welocome
Cheers
MarkE

Tiger_ Moth
30th Dec 2006, 14:22
Hi, I considered going this way at one stage so from what I gathered your route might look something like this:

PPL in UK: £6,000

100hrs ish hour building in USA (get IMC + night ratings at some point): £6000

ATPL theory (we'll say distance learning ie: Bristol): £3000

CPL in UK: £4000

FI rating UK: £6000

By my reckoning that is about £25,000 to get an FI rating limited to SE planes.

All prices are of course estimates and no doubt you could do it a bit cheaper or more expensive in various places. And don't forget to add on living expenses.

Good luck

Mad Girl
30th Dec 2006, 15:41
Hi, I considered going this way at one stage so from what I gathered your route might look something like this:

PPL in UK: £6,000

100hrs ish hour building in USA (get IMC + night ratings at some point): £6000

ATPL theory (we'll say distance learning ie: Bristol): £3000

CPL in UK: £4000

FI rating UK: £6000

By my reckoning that is about £25,000 to get an FI rating limited to SE planes.

All prices are of course estimates and no doubt you could do it a bit cheaper or more expensive in various places. And don't forget to add on living expenses.

Good luck

I'm also interested in this thread - when I've grown up (in a flying sense).
Why would you need to get the ATPL theory??
I thought you only had to do the full CPL (flying and theory) which can be done as a combined course??

mad_jock
30th Dec 2006, 16:22
And why are you to old to go airline?
42 is magic for a TP operator. They know you can't run off to the jets. 3 years and your a Captain. They then have another 15 years work out of you.
Currently young FO's they are lucky to get 6-18 months out of them. 500 hours multi-crew and they are sending the CV's out.

Mad_girl everyone is geared up for ATPL distance learning there are very few courses that only do CPL.

The CPL thoery course is complelty different to the CPL flying course

Mad Girl
30th Dec 2006, 18:03
42 is magic for a TP operator. They know you can't run off to the jets. 3 years and your a Captain. They then have another 15 years work out of you.
Currently young FO's they are lucky to get 6-18 months out of them. 500 hours multi-crew and they are sending the CV's out.

Mad_girl everyone is geared up for ATPL distance learning there are very few courses that only do CPL.

The CPL thoery course is complelty different to the CPL flying course

I believe Old Sarum does a CPL course (theory & Flying)...I'm sure my "boss" (otherwise known as my instructor) will put me straight if I'm wrong.

mcgoo
30th Dec 2006, 18:15
Bristol offer the CPL theory course

mcgoo
30th Dec 2006, 18:19
I believe Old Sarum does a CPL course (theory & Flying)...I'm sure my "boss" (otherwise known as my instructor) will put me straight if I'm wrong.

I've just looked on the Old Sarum website, while they do offer the CPL course it does not say it includes CPL theory.

MarkE
31st Dec 2006, 09:28
wow,

thanks for all the advice guy's, Mad Girl I to did wonder over the ATPL/CPL question but as mad jock points out there are more ATPL providers so I guess more competition.
it s a releif to know that the figures quoted are more or less in line with my thinking.
I've read alot about various training orgs and the choice can be a bit mind blowing but I guess visit every one on the short list and talk to current students and of course read the threads om Pprune.
Thanks again guys...now all I've got to do is sell the house!!
Good luck
Mark E

QNH 1013
31st Dec 2006, 09:46
A couple of points.... The CPL exams are offered by several schools as distance learning and can save you about £1000 in course and exam fees. However, as Mad Jock points out, you are certainly not too old to fly Air Transport, and if you do the CPL exams, you rule yourself out of this option (you would need the ATPL writtens). Also add in the substantial cost of IR and M/E etc. training.

The written exams are extremely time consuming and soul-destroying. Make sure you are prepared to go through this before selling your house.

With CPL and FI(R) and the right attitude you will find plenty of work. Whether you can live on the money is another question.

Hope it works out ok for you.

QNH 1013

apruneuk
31st Dec 2006, 10:25
MarkE

As one who works as a FI and loves it - a word of caution. As has been said, doing the minimum will limit you to basic flight instruction which is great if you can live on £500-800 per month after tax. Living wages can be made if you progress to CPL/ME/IR instruction but you can't do this if you don't hold the relevant rating yourself.

The poor pay for basic FIs is due to the fact that for many newly-qualified CPLs it has been a useful way to keep flying and building hours while looking for their first commercial position. More senior instructors are paid properly because they are harder to replace and actively sought, particularly by light commercial operators.

We do, however, live in interesting times for the industry, as many 200 hour frozen ATPL holders now choose to fund their own MCC and Type Ratings (£25k ish) and go straight to the airlines rather than spending £5-8k on a FI rating and building some GA experience first. The pending Multi Crew licence route will further reduce the advantages of flight instruction as a means to an end for a budding airline pilot and in my opinion this will mean that schools will ultimately have to employ and adequately reward full-time career FIs if they want to stay in business. Don't hold your breath, though!

mad_jock
31st Dec 2006, 11:10
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_APPROVEDFTOS.PDF

Page 6 lists all the Distance learning courses for both ATPL and CPL.

I am afraid Old sarum isn't listed unless its Ground services training limited.

I was suprised how few there were.

And if Bristol offer the course they better speak to someone quickly because that document is published on the 20 Dec 2006 and they don't seem to be approved ( I am quite sure that they are though)

Benix
31st Dec 2006, 12:29
I phoned BGS at the end of November to check if they did CPL theory for a student of mine and they said they didn't, so unless they started in December I doubt it.

Tiger_ Moth
31st Dec 2006, 19:28
The reason I quoted ATPL theory is that the CPL and ATPL theory are very similar and I think the extra £1000 is worth the option of doing other flying jobs later on if you want. If you are 100% sure you only want to be an FI then only do the CPL theory.

Good luck

mcgoo
31st Dec 2006, 19:34
Yes but if you don't do the IR within 36 months it would be a waste as you would have to resit them all.

high-hopes
6th Jan 2007, 00:36
42 is magic for a TP operator.

I better wait another 15 years before finishing any training then ;)

h-h

bluenose81huskys
14th Sep 2007, 23:41
YEAH this is the road im going to go for too! Just started studying my ATPL exams then go for FI, then Who knows where i can get too! The Airlines would be great but i'll be happy when that happens!

d192049d
15th Sep 2007, 07:30
Not 100% sure but dont you need a Class 1 Medical??? Dont sell the house until you have checked....:ok