PDA

View Full Version : Time to altitude....

Tight Slot
30th Dec 2006, 00:23
Hi all, just thinking about your gents and girls steads, what about time to altitude? Ive flown some good stuff like the 75 and the 330, just thinking about the best sub sonic time to alt....

75 empty from brakes off to FL 420 in 16 mins was good....

Any mid size/large jet takers??

expatula
30th Dec 2006, 06:17
I am no test pilot here and I haven't flown any empty commercial airliner. But when I was in the airforce I could lose and gain thousands of altitude in the blink of an eye - inverted! :p

Lemper
30th Dec 2006, 09:03
Not valid if you fly commercial like a warrier but try the following:
The average rate of climb to the initial optimum crz lvl will be the instantaneous rate of climb at 2/3, yep, tho third of that optimum altitude.
(Just in Case): Initial opt crz lvl 330; average roc to go there is the instantaneous roc at 22000 ft. So reading a VSI of 2000 fpm at that level, you'll know it will take you another 5 to 6 minutes to 330.....ATC obliging.
Now, if you find a dusty yellowed page folder squeezed between the two volumes of the AFM behind Sir's seat, check enroute climb pages in the Normal Ops section, and they will give you the infos you need (want) without having to go to FL220.
Cheers.

Lemper
30th Dec 2006, 09:12
Oh, yes, I forgot, just for the sake of aviator's male ego (and a lot of fun): a 744 with PW 4062, on a 50 minutes ferry flights in the Morning Calm winter, TO2-full CLB, from brake release to FL450: 14 minutes and 27 seconds.
Nigel-amnida found the after TO checklist at top of descent!