PDA

View Full Version : Question

Mo91
29th Dec 2006, 17:54
I'm usually on the other flying half of this forum but would like to know a couple of things.
1) Do you need any previous flying experience to become an air traffic controller?
2) How and where do you train to become one?
3) What costs are involved in training and what does the salary range from?
4) How fun is it? benefits/drawbacks?

All answers are very much appreciated.
Mohammed:ok:

MancBoy
29th Dec 2006, 18:10
Can't you be bothered doing a trawl through most of the last years posts on this forum to easily find the answers?

You wont get spoonfed in ATC training thats for sure!

Mo91
29th Dec 2006, 18:13
sorry...i shall trawl through the posts

mickrobbo
29th Dec 2006, 18:15
Agree slightly with MancBoy, there is a lot of info at the top of this forum, but I am bored on a break so I will answer breifly the above.

1. No previous experience in aviation is necessary for ATC, though knowledge of the field may well aid your progress during the application process and beyond.
2. The main, but not the only, company providing ATC in the UK is NATS, look at their website for applications, there are other providers should you feel the need to look there aswell.
3. Not sure what the costs are, if any, for training with other ATC providers, NATS provides training and pays around 10K pa whilst at the "college of knowledge". Salaries vary but are generally quite good, once you get on the main pay scale.
4. I am new to the job so still in love with the whole thing, tho I would still rather be sat at FL380 most days of the week.

Hope that helps....read all the forum gubbins that should also give you an incite.

Mo91
29th Dec 2006, 18:25
okies thank you. Answer was much appreciated