PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to that Super Constellation...

rotornut
27th Dec 2006, 19:11
Whatever happened to that Super Constellation at the north end of YYZ?

PaperTiger
27th Dec 2006, 19:50
It was bought by the Seattle Museum of Flight who proceeded to dismantle it. Another group then intervened and got the Canadian government to declare it an "historical artifact" (or somesuch), meaning an export licence could not be obtained. SMOF have appealed, and I thought a decision was required before the end of the year, but if one was made I missed it.

Current whereabouts of the bits is a secret although I believe the old girl is finally indoors somewhere, for the first time in several decades.

For a one-sided, somewhat acrimonious account, see: http://www.rbogash.com/connie_story.html

Simma
28th Dec 2006, 04:08
I saw the old super connie sitting outside with no wings while I was westbound on Derry road/torbram. look north of Derry, you will see the tail
a shame...

Newforest
28th Dec 2006, 06:38
For a one-sided, somewhat acrimonious account, see: http://www.rbogash.com/connie_story.html

From the man in the 'eye of the storm', this seems to be a fairly balanced and accurate report of the situation.:ok:

CD
28th Dec 2006, 11:15
This is the last story that I had seen...

Export Review Board puts hold on sale of old airliner

GLOBE AND MAIL
09/26/2006

Canadian museums are being offered the chance to buy the last intact Lockheed Super Constellation passenger aircraft on Canadian soil after a federal agency last week temporarily rebuffed efforts to relocate the airliner to Seattle's Museum of Flight. The Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board placed a three-month delay on the removal of the 53-year-old plane from a Toronto warehouse to allow a Canadian institution (or individual) the opportunity buy the plane for what is called its "fair market value" by Dec. 20. The board upheld a decision last May by an export-permit officer who refused to grant an export permit after an aviation expert had deemed the airplane to be of "significant" cultural and historical value to Canada.

Organizations such as the Toronto Aerospace Museum and the Air Canada Pionairs have been lobbying hard to keep the Super Constellation here.

According to the export permit, its value is more than $1.1-million.

PaperTiger
28th Dec 2006, 16:13
So the 90-day export embargo should have expired now.

mohavewolfpup
7th Mar 2007, 22:49
I would be curious to know how they got the plane out in the winter? Maybe they were lucky with the bees. In october 2005 I walked around the plane, admired the radial engine underneath it with a new mexico engine rebuilder plate on it, neat stuff like that. Around it a fairly decent amount of bees swarmed, I believe coming from the engine closest to the fuselage on the captains side of the plane.

Sadly, I did not have my camera, as I had just come from a failed job interview and was walking the perimeter of the airport (got to find a cool approach path and watched alot of planes coming in) :cool:

The most I found of it online I stored here

http://mojavewolfpup.dyndns.org/images/superconnie