PDA

View Full Version : North Sea Job Market

BRASSEMUP
27th Dec 2006, 12:16
Gents/Ladies
Due to leave the forces soon, i have my ATPL(H) in my back pocket, what is it like flying for the North Sea operators and what's the job market like at the moment?
Cheers

Impress to inflate
27th Dec 2006, 20:43
You will get a job in the blink of an eye with one of the three companies. All are looking to some degree. go for it

BRASSEMUP
28th Dec 2006, 06:55
Thanks for the reply................ I'll send my cv and see what happens. Cheers

Staticdroop
28th Dec 2006, 09:17
Dont hold your breath they dont really like ex mil pilots for some reason but good luck anyway.:ok:

jeepys
28th Dec 2006, 12:12
'They dont really like ex mil pilots'

What a load of rubbish. That may be some peoples experience who did not get hired by them but generally they dont care.

Ask yourself the question, if they dont like the ex mil pilot then why do they recruit so many?

Oh, I see, this is a rumour network so why not start a rumour. At least can we be accurate.

Rant over.

BRASSEMUP
28th Dec 2006, 12:47
Yea i know of a few ex AAC/RAF working off shore. Wish i had all there emails. Typical eh? That's why i asked the question in the first place. Cheers

T4 Risen
28th Dec 2006, 16:31
Brassemup check your PM's

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
28th Dec 2006, 21:49
Brass,

I'm ex military (AAC) and had no problem at all. All the offshore companies offered me a job. Admittedly it was a long time ago (and they probably regret the offer !!), but the big wheel has swung around again. They're crying out for people who are already trained/licenced and therefore cost them nothing except a JAR IR, which they'll be only too happy to do for you. You'll have no problem.

Good Luck Mate :ok:

NEO

johnny canuck
29th Dec 2006, 01:50
I'm also interested in flying the north sea.

Currenlty 600+ hrs on robinson's, employed flying in Canada's oil patch [alberta]. Before that I accumulated 3500hrs of fixed wing in single and two crew multi IFR. I hold Canadian Commercial Helo with Night, Fixed wing comm with multi IFR, as well as UK passport. No JAR CAA licenses. :ugh:

What would the process consist of ? Any chance of the companies helping out on the conversion ?

ANY constructive info on the topic would be much appreciated.

Cheers

thecontroller
29th Dec 2006, 07:15
very unlikely they will help out with conversion.

you need to get the 13 JAA ATPL exams done and get the JAA CPL then go talk to them, they might pay for the type rating and IR, but will bond you for a few years.

I'm also interested in flying the north sea.
Currenlty 600+ hrs on robinson's, employed flying in Canada's oil patch [alberta]. Before that I accumulated 3500hrs of fixed wing in single and two crew multi IFR. I hold Canadian Commercial Helo with Night, Fixed wing comm with multi IFR, as well as UK passport. No JAR CAA licenses. :ugh:
What would the process consist of ? Any chance of the companies helping out on the conversion ?
ANY constructive info on the topic would be much appreciated.
Cheers

BRASSEMUP
29th Dec 2006, 07:45
Brass,

I'm ex military (AAC) and had no problem at all. All the offshore companies offered me a job. Admittedly it was a long time ago (and they probably regret the offer !!), but the big wheel has swung around again. They're crying out for people who are already trained/licenced and therefore cost them nothing except a JAR IR, which they'll be only too happy to do for you. You'll have no problem.

Good Luck Mate :ok:

NEO
NEO,

You still out there in Nigeria? What's the working conditions like?
Did you used to be 7 Flt?

Cheers

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Dec 2006, 08:18
Brass,

Check your PMs

NEO

Staticdroop
29th Dec 2006, 08:26
Cool it folks just saying what i hear from those in authority i am also ex mil and work in the offshore market place.
Gee, take a guys head off for an honest comment, grow up girls:rolleyes:

BRASSEMUP
29th Dec 2006, 08:41
Thanks Guys I’m getting some positive feed back and info!!!!!

DOUBLE BOGEY
29th Dec 2006, 09:36
Thanks Guys I’m getting some positive feed back and info!!!!!

At CHC (the Company I work for) the Company try to identify weaknesses in an individual that may cause them to be a training risk as they go through the induction programme, conversion course and IR. This is to make the system more effective in producing an optimum product IE - you the pilot. At the moment they are employing a number of strategies to achieve this such as psycho-metric testing (not sure if I spelt that correctly). Some people in the know say this is the way ahead and others are sceptical. However, this is the reason why in CHC a change of policy may have been percieved to have occurred in that ex-mil guys are no longer favoured.

I believe the system is much simpler that any pre-conceptions about a persons background. Essentially when the Company is looking for people it will tend to group CVs by experience, both MIL and Civil in descending order and will offer interviews and the selection process to the group at the top of the experience list. At the same time the powers that be are mindful that the existing demographic dispersion within the Company needs to be considered.

Having said all of this the impact of JAR-FCL and the requirements and experience needed to grant a ME IR place a considerable cost burden on the Company. Therefore, anybody who pitches up with a ME IR, particularly with a NS Type Rating, will get a great welcome provided he has no real adverse history.

I am unsure how BOND & BRISTOWS work but I would suspect their considerations are the same.

I would also stress that I am actually just a pond-life pilot at CHC and therefore my explanation above is my own and not necessarily the quoted policy of my management.

I hope this helps and if you need anything further email me.

Daddylynx
29th Dec 2006, 16:47
I am also coming to the end of my military career and I suspect stayed far too long (but was having so much fun). I have frozen ATPL(A) and (H) and looking to work anywhere it is warm and no Gordon Brown. I have got no Type Rating as yet but was wondering if it is worth the investment of paying for a ME IR and if so on which type. (How much would this cost).

I have bounced on and off the back end of Frigates and Destroyers in a Lynx for the most part and have been thinking of the luxury yacht industry (both flying and as Captain). However, I am now in my 50th year and wonder what my chances of being employed flying (I do have a class 1).

bunk
30th Dec 2006, 01:55
So it does happen that CHC etc pays for the JAA IR? What do they usually require for an interview? 1000 PIC like here in the US? Thanks!!!

BRASSEMUP
30th Dec 2006, 09:23
DaddyLynx,
Join the club bloke! But i think the sailing option sounds better after a long career.
But good luck!:ok:

SmokinHole
31st Dec 2006, 01:10
Does anybody have any up-to-date info on the likelyhood of less experienced guys being offered positions in the North Sea? And the ubiquitous question; does age matter?!

I'll be 33 by the time I'm qualified with the basics. I'm hoping to build upto 500 hours before I turn 34, but will start applying as soon as the CPL is hot off the press. Am I wasting my time?

My experience will be mostly R22s, but will have about 30hrs on a JetRanger, if that helps?

As a last ditch, I was going to give it until this time next year, then do a fixed wing IR to boost my chances. Has anyone else had any success with this route?

Comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Winnie
31st Dec 2006, 10:17
And if anyone could PM me with contact info for Bond and Bristow that would be appreciated, not to say CHC...

As I sit with Norwegian Licenses but work in Canada...

cyclic
31st Dec 2006, 11:29
Try the Bond website?

Bond Offshore Helicopters (http://www.bondoffshorehelicopters.com)

Camp Freddie
1st Jan 2007, 11:26
Mr Brassmeup,
you said Thanks for the reply................ I'll send my cv and see what happens. Cheers
In my opinion you have got to stand out from the other thousand people who have just sent their CV in, what you need to do is phone up the relevant flight crew manager, sell yourself and at that point try and make an appointment to see him and then send your CV.
you got to get yourself up to aberdeen see all the comapanies and try to impress
regards
CF
P.S. i sent my CV and nothing did happen till I flew up to aberdeen (they even paid for my flight after the fact)

BRASSEMUP
1st Jan 2007, 12:16
Camp Freddie,

I wasn't just going to send my CV, but yep i totally agree.........

Cheers

The Missing Piece
1st Jan 2007, 13:35
I would try all three North Sea operators. You've got nothing to loose, although I suspect you'll do better with Bond and CHC because I believe that Bristow are keeping slots open for their Coastguard pilots following the loss of that contract. They're expecting those pilots to return to Aberdeen in Summer and the Autumn.

TMP

BRASSEMUP
1st Jan 2007, 15:56
TMP

How about Norway/Denmark and the Netherlands? Had any dealings there?

The Missing Piece
1st Jan 2007, 21:54
How about Norway/Denmark and the Netherlands? Had any dealings there?

Me personally?

TMP

BRASSEMUP
2nd Jan 2007, 06:26
TMP
Yea or any info?

The Missing Piece
2nd Jan 2007, 14:37
I've flown in and out of Norway on diversions but I don't have any info about the jobs market there or in Denmark or the Netherlands. Sorry. :)

northseaspray
2nd Jan 2007, 15:13
CHC Helikopter Service in Norway are hiring. You need 1000hrs and the instrument rating, The basepay starts at about NOK 500 000, per diem and overtime should add it up around NOK 600 000. Senior line captains make twice that much, SAR captains and copilots can add another NOK 250 000. Copilots with four years seniority gets the SFO allowance, around NOK 90000. 14/14 rosters are available, and we have pilots commuting from Italy, Netherlands, South Africa, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, but no one from the UK at the moment..

BRASSEMUP
3rd Jan 2007, 12:20
Northseaspray check PM..................

Thanks to every body for the great info

Cheers :ok:

johnny canuck
3rd Jan 2007, 16:53
Would the current pay and schedule for CHC in the U.K. be the same as
Norway ? Are the commuting pilots traveling on there own dime ?

Cheers

northseaspray
3rd Jan 2007, 19:42
The Scotia ABZ rosters are somewhat similar to HS, in Norway you get 5 days extra vacation on the equal time roster, on the 5/2/5/9 roster you get two weeks vacation, which means you get one month off during the summer.

With HS, travel and accomodation are included only during the training stage, after the line check you are on your own expense.. If you work a lot extra days (max 40xnok8000) and overtime, you can make close to NOK 1000000 from year one, but then taxes are insain, around 50%, expenses and morgage interests are deductable, brings the average young copilot down to about 40% taxes i believe.

Personally I wouldn't want to work for any other company, the aircraft are very well maintained, the training is exellent, the union has a strong standing, and after a few years the money is really good.

kwikenz
18th Feb 2007, 23:34
Could anyone enlighten me with regards the relevant contacts for Bond and CHC on the North Sea for pilot recruitment? A search of the relevant web sites gets you the numbers of course, but I would be much obliged if someone could PM me the best on site person to talk to in each company.
Thanks in advance.
:ok:

Darren999
19th Feb 2007, 15:35
I sent my Resume to CHC Netherlands. They will accept pilots with a JAA ATPL theory, JAA CPL licence, and they aren't to bothered if you don't have an IR I think they will help you with that, as i read between the lines. They said no to me as only have 3500hrs and FAA ATPL. On well...:{

rotor beetle
19th Feb 2007, 15:56
hey darren,

with CHC Netherlands you definetly need the CPL/IR under JAR.
I know that for sure :)

RB

BRASSEMUP
19th Feb 2007, 16:07
CHC Netherlands………….. You definitely need a IR, sponsorship is difficult because of the Netherlands employment laws! But if you have a IR rating then they are looking for about 6 co-pilots.

Staticdroop
19th Feb 2007, 16:09
Guys,
CHC were advertising in the press and journal (aberdeen paper) recently for pilots in a number of there operations.
Good luck.

L'WAAPAM
19th Feb 2007, 18:24
Guys

Check the Flight Global jobs page. About 13 adds by CHC for the whole of their European Operation.

Cheers

L'

BRASSEMUP
20th Feb 2007, 18:55
Well times seem alot better for the job market! What's the roster for CHC Aberdeen. Are they doing 7/7 there?

Vertical T/O
20th Feb 2007, 18:58
Yeah they are doing 7/7 and 5/2/5/9/5/2/6/8. I think Bristow are trying for a even time roster and Bond are on something like a 5/2/7/7.

BRASSEMUP
20th Feb 2007, 19:02
Great just what the doctor ordered................You working for them?

Vertical T/O
20th Feb 2007, 23:49
Yeah and loving it.

Darren999
21st Feb 2007, 02:24
Who has the Search & Rescue contract now? Are they still going to use AW139's?

Thanks

Overt Auk
21st Feb 2007, 15:39
The 4 bases currently operated by Bristow (Stornaway, Sumburgh, Lee-on-Solent & Portland), will be taken over by CHC during the next year. S92s will be used at the Northern bases and AW139s at the southern bases

OA

BRASSEMUP
21st Feb 2007, 15:46
Vertical T/O..........................
I think we've met. Might see you in Sunny Aberdeen soon!:ok:

Hedski
21st Feb 2007, 17:06
Vert,
hows the type rating going?
Cheaper posting here than texting the damn Irish mobile, GET A UK ONE!!!!!
Let me know when ya have.
L8R slag.:}

Darren999
22nd Feb 2007, 00:09
Thanks OA.:ok:
Will try and see Bristows at HAI. I have around 200hrs in the AW139 would hope that may help. I would love anyone of the southern positions. Just JAA exams to do I suppose :{

212man
22nd Feb 2007, 07:39
"Will try and see Bristows at HAI. I have around 200hrs in the AW139 would hope that may help. I would love anyone of the southern positions"

Read the post again: the contract is going to CHC Scotia, not Bristow (who are the current operator.)

Darren999
22nd Feb 2007, 19:09
Thanks 212, noted.

BRASSEMUP
24th Feb 2007, 06:15
What's the vacancy situation like at the moment for Bristows and CHC in Aberdeen. I know CHC are advertising but for how many slots?

offshore_taxidriver
28th Feb 2007, 20:58
Hello, I am seriously considering splashing out on a JAA/FAA CPL(h) in the US with the hope of one day becoming a north sea pilot. Obviously it is a large risk to take considering the costs involved. Does anyone have any advice, views or opinions on this?!

I have been looking at heli adventures in Florida, it seems like a good programme and i have heard that Bristows have often used them to train their pilots.

:ok:

helimutt
28th Feb 2007, 21:07
CHC are looking to fill approx 80 posts over the next 12-14 months or so.
Speak to HR in Aberdeen but you need a JAR IR etc. No IR? No places at the minute!. Some have been lucky enough over last 12 months to have the IR paid for. Some haven't.
Hope that helps.
Yes Bristows may use HAI but likely from tomorrows announcement, it won't be called HAI anymore. !!!:D
Wait for confirmation.:ok:

Blind
1st Mar 2007, 07:37
Offshore Taxidriver, If you are who I think you are, go for it! You'll fit in perfectly. Be prepared on this forum for sarcastic comments though for posting a question that gets asked all the time. I'm afraid you just have to bite the bullet.

CHC are very short of pilots! (but have lot's of short ones :O )

All the best,

A bus driver xxx

TheFlyingSquirrel
1st Mar 2007, 07:52
you can't wait to get out of that swamp, can you Darren ?:uhoh:

BRASSEMUP
5th Mar 2007, 12:08
Thanks guys for all the info...................Got a few interviews jacked up and things are looking good. Good luck to everybody else.:ok:

floatsarmed
4th Dec 2007, 05:33
What does the job market / future look like in the North Sea these days?

Is there currently a chronic shortage of offshore Pilots and licenced Engineers like there is over here in the land of Oz?

helimutt
4th Dec 2007, 14:01
Don't believe the hype. There aren't as many jobs out there as people think any more. There are a lot of people coming up for retirement but that doesn't mean there's a huge shortage. One company with bases in southern north sea (north and south) has just about as many pilots as it needs right now. Maybe the need for a couple more unless new contracts are won. One major contract is up for renewal next summer I believe and a lot rides on that. There are retirements though.

From what I can see, there is definitely a shortage of experienced, licensed engineers.

DeltaNg
4th Dec 2007, 15:17
You forget, Helimutt, that there are always unexpected vacancies as
people move on to other things :}.

helimutt
4th Dec 2007, 19:14
Oh yes, forgot that but call that attrition I guess which occurs everywhere. 'Grass is always greener' I think they call it, unless you get a job like a HEMS positon in a place which is warm and nice, no night, etc etc. But hey, we can only dream.

PS, If anyone is looking or a part time S76 pilot/co pilot (IR'd), couple days a month, let me know. ;)

DeltaNg
5th Dec 2007, 10:43
Co-Pilot
Division: CHC European Operations
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Aberdeen, Blackpool, Humberside, North Denes, United Kingdom
Job Description:

CHC Helicopter Corporation, with headquarters in Vancouver, is the world’s largest provider of helicopter services to the global offshore oil and gas industry, with aircraft operating in 33 countries and a team of approximately 3.400 professionals worldwide (www.chc.ca). CHC Europe services 69% of the market in the North Sea, the world’s largest offshore market. The divisional headquarters of CHC Europe are based in Aberdeen (Scotland).

CHC Scotia, with bases in Aberdeen, North Denes, Humberside and Blackpool, forms part of CHC Europe and provides offshore support to the oil & gas industry in both the North Sea and Irish Sea operating AS332L/L2, S92, S76C/A+, SA365N/N2 and AW139 helicopters.

We are forecasting a continued expansion of operations over the course of 2007- 2008. As a result we anticipate ongoing requirements for co-pilots in Aberdeen Base who fill the following minimum requirements:

- JAR CPL(H)
- JAR ATPL(H) theory
-IR(Fixed wing or Rotary)
-Experience on multi-engine and/or multi-pilot helicopters
will be an advantage.
- Minimum 300 hours of flying experience

Applicants must currently be eligible to work in the European Economic Area

Powered By: Recruiting Solutions

MINself
5th Dec 2007, 15:25
I Agree with helimutt, that job advertisement quoted is a couple of months old and it is more than likely :rolleyes: that the positions at some of the bases mentioned have already been filled and the advertisement just hasn't been amended yet.

ManOnTheSticks
5th Dec 2007, 15:32
The advert originally had no minimum hours requirement, this has only been put on in the last couple of weeks.

Having got the CPL/IR and applied for work over the last few months, I was wondering how many others there are in the same situation ie, low hours (300hrs TT) but all ready to go when someone gives us the green light?

chcoffshore
5th Dec 2007, 20:40
Have you applied? We need guys/girls in Aberdeen! If you don't ask you don't get!!!! And if you do get, you'll get a good grounding for your future and a avg of 700-800 hours per year twin time!:cool:

ManOnTheSticks
5th Dec 2007, 23:36
I have applied to all the Major companies in ABZ but so far nothing has come of it. There is a finite amount of times you can ring them before they get annoyed & there is a fine line between persistence and harassment! I agree about the grounding etc

chcoffshore
6th Dec 2007, 01:27
Surprising, especially if you already have an IR………..PM me who you contacted at CHC!

Sabrerider
20th Dec 2007, 19:40
I have also applied at CHC at ABZ.
I bring CPL(H) IR ATPL Theory and about 830 hours.
The application was done online on the website 5 weeks ago.
The question is should I call or let it run and wait for a reply
from CHC.
Does anybody have similar experiences?
BTW: Who should i give a call. There is no phone number mentioned
in the job offer.

Thanx for help

Ralf

helimutt
20th Dec 2007, 22:06
Heard a rumour (it is a rumour site after all) that about 110 pilots required in CHC Europe by 2010.
If you have the licence/IR/common sense etc, keep trying, don't give up too easily.

Martin Barclay
21st Dec 2007, 11:08
Hi there Sabrerider,
I will PM you with the name and number of the HR person i spoke to at CHC in Aberdeen. Very helpful, had an application in my inbox before our conversation finished. I did have to call back to get my 'knock back' but this is understandable, no IR just on the 300 hours and in my
40's, not a great investment opportunity for CHC.
Martin.

g-mady
21st Dec 2007, 11:20
Where does everyone stand on the age issue scince Martin mentions it...
Are you a better prospect in low 20s (perhaps even without the right requirements) as you have time to be groomed and for the company to get a return,

Or are they in favour of the "older" :ugh: generation? More experience?
Or a mixture of both (young chap in the left hand seat to learn form the experienced Commander?)

Thoughts?

MADY

Bravo73
21st Dec 2007, 13:07
If all else is equal (ie licences and experience), the NS operators would rather them younger. (This is not necessarily the same viewpoint as the onshore market though.)

This is not to however to say that a more 'senior' applicant won't get accepted (needs must, and all that...).

NS crews will always have an experienced Commander in the RHS (even if he/she doesn't appear to be that old.) You can be a very experienced Captain at 25 if you started as an FO at 18.

Helioil
21st Dec 2007, 13:18
:ooh: You can be a very experienced Captain at 25 if you started as an FO at 18...................
Very experienced Captain???????????????????

Bravo73
21st Dec 2007, 13:21
7 years @ 800hrs pa = 5600hrs TT. Has probably already been a Captain for a few years.

That sounds pretty 'experienced' in my book...

Martin Barclay
21st Dec 2007, 13:24
I think the age issue is quite significant as my lack of an IR and low hours were not off putting till they got my application form and found out about my 'lengthy life experience'!
Would be interested in any comments from CHCoffshore?

Cheers

Martin.

Brilliant Stuff
21st Dec 2007, 15:49
Also you must not forget the old seniority list.

HeliComparator
21st Dec 2007, 16:17
Generally younger is better because there are fewer preconceived ideas, and unfortunately there is no doubt that the youngsters learn a lot faster than the old farts like me. Of course that is only a generalisation and older with the right experience is better still. But the right experience - ie offshore N Sea IFR two pilot - doesn't often come knocking. And I had better mention that we have had some top blokes join as newbies in their 40s. Like I said, its a generalisation.

My personal hate is he that is constantly saying "When I was in the military / Brand X we did it like xyz (which is far better than the way BHL does it) " even though they worked in the military / Brand X for 5 years and have been with BHL for 10 or whatever. Some (not the majority I have to say) just never really leave their first jobs!

I think in the BHL UK has employed about 27 new pilots this year, and for nearly all its their first commercial job (instructing aside). Apparently there are more to come next year.

HC

TiPwEiGhT
21st Dec 2007, 16:51
Norsk Helikopters I think are holding a recruitment event in Jan 2008. 1000hrs and IR(H). They were needing 13 pilots, have 3-4 places left I reckon. CHC HS are apparently needing people too. Just remember folks if you fancy going North Sea, there's a Norwegien sector too. Better skiing then Scotland!

Helipilot1982
21st Dec 2007, 19:11
Is it worth me applying if I only have 400TT but have a CPL/MEIR and am only 25. I have had no joy from the Big 3 in ABZ!!!

HeliComparator
21st Dec 2007, 19:30
Yes, I would say you are employable, but you have competition. You have to strike the right balance between persistance and becoming a pain. There is a lot of luck in it - ie applying at the right time when someone is looking for what you have to offer. If you have only applied once, I would try again.

The companies are not too good at "keeping you on file" because its easier to interview someone whose application has just dropped onto the desk that to start routing around in a filing cabinet only to find that the first 10 you phone have got bored waiting and found employment elsewhere.

HC

lars1
21st Dec 2007, 22:56
Im also applying for a leftseat in chc, abdeen. Not heard anything yet. Any of you guys know when they are gonna have interviews next time?

Why did they add that 300hrs requirement? I have all papers ok, but a little short on the hours

:)

BRASSEMUP
21st Dec 2007, 23:36
Somebody gave me a good bit of advice." Jump in your car and deliver your CV in person". It worked for me.:ok:Good luck.

S76driver
22nd Dec 2007, 08:09
I was in Norway last month and was told CHC still needed plenty over there. I certainly would recommend going up to ABZ and speaking with the main man in person, although he can be hard to get hold of as he is extremely busy, but that's what a friend and I did and got in with less than 300 hours. Also, I wouldn't trust the applying with the website, rumour is that people dont seem to get a response from them. Best of luck.

lars1
2nd Jan 2008, 16:28
Anybody have some news/rumours on the lowtimer leftseat market in europe? Interviews coming up..? chc, bristow or bond:rolleyes:

helimutt
2nd Jan 2008, 19:22
Interviews have been running regularly but you need to go visit them all and push the cv over the desk. More chance than just sending the basic letter with CV and wondering why you get no reply.

Helipilot1982
4th Jan 2008, 12:23
Could someone PM me the email address for the main recruitment man at CHC please. Thanks

HP 1982

Camp Freddie
4th Jan 2008, 17:23
hey,

DeltaNG said:

You forget, Helimutt, that there are always unexpected vacancies as
people move on to other things

on my base in the last 4 years,as far as I can recall 1 captain and 1 co-pilot have left to do other things, freelancers have come and gone a bit but even they are fairly constant.

in the same time I can count 14 new co-pilots have started plus a couple of transfers from other bases.

so effectively all the hiring has been driven by expansion, so at least for us, I think there will be little hiring now in the short/medium term.

regards

CF

bolkowoff
5th Jan 2008, 00:55
Lars1 + Helipilot1982, try not to worry too much about low time, if you have your I.R. in your back pocket you should be o.k. I know Bristows have been employing guys with less than 300(+IR) hrs in 2007. So can't see why that would change for 2008 but you do need to phone up H.R or send in hard copies of your c.v. don't rely on their website application forms, pretty sure it's the same with C.H.C. GET ON THAT PHONE!

future_jack
5th Jan 2008, 14:34
Hi there,
If you were starting out and were interested in working for a company such as CHC where would the best place to train?

America, South Africa, OZ??? Would there be any specific schools these guys would be looking for or have preference over?

Thanks.

helimutt
5th Jan 2008, 16:15
somewhere whcih required the least hassle to convert to JAR licence I guess.
They always ask for JAR CPL/ATPL with associated IR.

bolkowoff
5th Jan 2008, 20:50
Yep, Helimutt is spot on but of course if you were eligable to work in the U.S or S.A etc and didn't want to work in Europe well the associated C.P.L and I.R should suffice. BUT the North sea seems to be where the bucks are! Don't think C.H.C have any links with any specific training school??? Of course you have Bristow Academy in Florida if you wanted to give them a shot.

pdoyle
24th Jul 2010, 11:11
hi wizzard 450 hour all turbine any chance of a lead into the north sea????

Plain Torque
24th Jul 2010, 18:24
pdoyle,

Maybe you should have a look at "Humberside Issues, from Bad to Worse!":sad:

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/422007-humberside-issues-bad-worse.html

Bravo73
25th Jul 2010, 02:13
hi wizzard 450 hour all turbine any chance of a lead into the north sea????

Have you got an IR(H)? If not, you'll have to stump up another £25-35k before you will have a chance on the NS.

There are (a few) jobs available at the mo but to be honest, given the current market conditions and the over supply of candidates, you might struggle with your age.

But the best of luck anyway.

onemorepilot
25th Jul 2010, 13:10
Bristow Norway looking for pilots.

Ad in norwegian, but easy to understand JAR CPL(H)/IR, ATPL theory, 1000 h. Tests in august.

See Norsk Helikopter (http://www.norskhelikopter.no) (yes, old name but same company)
/karriere/ledige stillinger/flygere.

Vi søker:

Flygere

Vi har behov for å ansette flere flygere ved vår base på Sola.

Minimumskrav:

•Gyldig JAR/FCL-sertifikat for helikopter: CPL-H
•Gylid instrumentbevis for helikopter: IR/H
•ATPL-teori
•1000 timer flytid med helikopter
Pilotuttak vil etter planen bli kjørt i august 2010

Kontaktpersoner:
Henk Heidema (Operations Manager)
tlf: +47 51646602
mob: +47 93030933

rgds OMP

christianty11
26th Jul 2010, 08:40
Ok, Bristow is looking for a pilot.
What about CHC in the netherlands?
Any infos about chances to get a job there?
Right now 2000h with JAR CPL, Multi Eng,Single Eng but sadly without IFR.

What about the hole market in NS?

Bravo73
26th Jul 2010, 15:48
Right now 2000h with JAR CPL, Multi Eng,Single Eng but sadly without IFR.

What about the hole market in NS?

Unfortunately, without an IR, you have little or no chance at the moment. There are too many other prospective candidates who already have an IR.

christianty11
27th Jul 2010, 08:03
Thanx for answering bravo73 !
Not really good for me. Looking forward in the future. But doing the IR Course for about 45k Euro without a chance to get a job in the branch is not the best idea i think. Perhaps i can visit some operators at the market in De Kooy or Esbjerg to drink a cup of coffee with my application under my arm?

Best Regards

Chris

hueyracer
27th Jul 2010, 08:24
Give it a try....

But why should they hire a guy WITHOUT IR, when there are plenty of experienced pilots WITH IR on the market?

christianty11
27th Jul 2010, 08:58
Hi Hueyracer,

you are damned right, why? But will the chances raise in the future?
What about: I get an interview, undersign the contract and than i will start the IR Course?
And the contract starts only with a passed IR Course. That sounds great!!!

So i will check the future about options like this.....
If somebody have, give me informations.

Chris

noblades
27th Jul 2010, 08:58
Tried visiting all the big operators a few months ago around north sea, only 1 had the decency to come to reception to say "go away, we dont talk to pilots".Wasted over a grand in travel and accomodation. I have a shiny new IR but seems now to have been a major mistake and waste of money, will never learn..

Epiphany
27th Jul 2010, 09:38
Progression in this industry is all about timing and research. Do your research before you spend any money and then take your chances on the timing. You have control over one but not the other.

I read so many complaints from people who appear to have done little research or feel that bad timing is unfair somehow. Life is not fair and until you accept that you will never be happy.

Horror box
27th Jul 2010, 14:15
It is a nice effort, but you can't be too quick to slag the operators for this. Right now they are inundated with people sending CV's, phoning and e-mailing for jobs that are not there, and for most places the chief pilot is busy enough as he is on any given day, so if you just turn up, the chances are not that they were trying to be rude to you, but that there is genuinely nobody available to talk to you. How do you feel when people just turn up unannounced at your door and try and sell you something? Nothing personal, but to "just turn up" is not always a smart strategy.

noblades
27th Jul 2010, 15:19
Point taken Horrorbox, i fully understand that operators swamped with pilots looking for nonexistant jobs at moment. I spoke to most before i went travelling, aware that nothing there at the time but laying foundation for when something does open up. Something to talk about in interview to take their attention of lack of ability in the cv writing department :}. I have got jobs in past from bosses remembering me having called in the past and seen lots of guys land positions just for having been the one who visited as opposed to the million emails that arrived.

But times are different now, just hoping that it is just another cycle.

Horror box
27th Jul 2010, 16:14
I am sure it won't have done you any harm anyway, and you never know, as you said it is something to mention when you get an interview, and any edge or advantage you can get you should take it. Keep trying anyway, and just try and secure some sort of meeting next time before you travel if you can. If nothing else you can get to learn something about the business, maybe get a tour round the place.

HillerBee
27th Jul 2010, 16:21
Sending a resume/CV by snailmail might also help to draw attention. Email is just to simple. One might even try handwritten.

Horror box
27th Jul 2010, 18:20
try handwritten

Is that even still taught in schools these days? I thought everything nowadays was all "txt spk n stuff"!
That being said a decent handwritten letter would certainly grab my attention. I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a letter written in ink by hand. It is such a rarity these days to see anything handwritten other than graffiti!

HillerBee
27th Jul 2010, 20:51
It's all about standing out.

One of the most annoying things is people calling in unannounced or calling, when the ad explicitely says "NO CALLS", Even had a guy last week leaving a message asking if we could call him back :ugh:

Peter PanPan
1st Mar 2011, 11:20
How are the job prospects for the North Sea market as of today and for the next few months? Heard that CHC was hiring.

detgnome
1st Mar 2011, 22:53
I believe they have already interviewed, but currently there are no positions available. This will develop in the next few months as contracts won/kept/lost become clearer.

Macaco Norte
7th Mar 2011, 19:29
I'd definately be keeping my ear close to the ground over the coming months. Bristow will be short in HUY coming into late spring early summer (or should I say shorter than they currently are). S76C++ rating would be an advantage.

SFIM
30th Mar 2012, 19:42
I heard a rumour that there was a bit of a pilot shortage developing with at least 1 of the big 3 companys at aberdeen due to a run of people leaving.

1) is that true?
2) where are these people going?

i also heard that they are "desparate" to get some new guys in, but not so desparate as to actually advertise it seems !

whats really going on with recruitment/numbers at ABZ

anybody?

Tango123
30th Mar 2012, 20:26
Hi SF

There is no pilot shortage anywhere in the Northern Europe. Books are full of (qualified) applications.

There is no point in advertise. When CHC and Bristow in Norway advertise, it is not because of lack of qualified applicants, just because they want even more to choose from, selecting the best to go through their session.

Pilot shortage.... Sorry but No

Colibri49
30th Mar 2012, 21:43
Tango123

Sorry to contradict you, but there was and still might be a pilot shortage "oop North", although I believe that most of the vacancies have already been filled.

The problem was that while the three big operators have plenty of people on their books who seem to have the right qualifications on paper, only a small proportion (say 1 in 3) are found to fit all the requirements after written + aptitude + simulator checks, followed by an interview.

Those who finally got through all the stages came from mixed backgrounds and the minority were "new baby" pilots from the self-sponsored route with a CPL(H) and IR.

So yes, there are plenty of applicants meaning that there isn't any pressing need to advertise.

SFIM
30th Mar 2012, 21:55
cheers guys,

interesting info and i now get the advertising bit, but still wonder where the leavers are going?
because everything i look at worldwide seems to have pay no better than ABZ, which wouldnt be an incentive for anyone except in certain circumstances like high time co-pilots looking for command.

1. are they going to CHC Global / Bristow International for a bit of (relative to ABZ) excitement?
2. are they just retiring or leaving to work in tesco or something else non aviation
3. going to police / hems / corporate in the UK or
4. something else

i am wondering if i am missing something or not (i am thinking maybe not at the moment, but you tell me :)

cheers

Colibri49
30th Mar 2012, 23:26
Virtually nobody is leaving ABZ; just a tiny handful of retirees or a couple who want to try their luck elsewhere.

The recent recruitment drive is due to an anticipated strong increase in drilling activity, with one or two new installations going in soon and the deep sea fields to the west of shetland becoming a reality.

At least two of the three big northern North Sea heli operators are investing heavily in new airframes and consequently need pilots to drive them.

The UK government has announced the long-awaited tax breaks to get the big oil players back seriously into the game.

Then there's the probable increase in SAR, for which the winning bidder is going to need even more crews with the right experience. Failing some unforseen global calamity, "oop North" looks like the place to be for the next few years. Pay and conditions aren't too bad either.

DoobyDoo
11th Mar 2013, 07:50
Hi again for another noob question.

Anyone interested in sharing their view on the different operators´ preferences when it comes to hiring? Facts, rumours and experience are all welcome alike. I guess like in any business, some things will not be admitted openly but still everyone knows.

Are some companies known to be more (or less!) likely to hire certain types: younger/older, prefer ex-military, prefer Bristow grads, prefer their own nationals, want diversity in crews/want similarity in crews...whatever.

Who has a reputation to hire who? Or is it all pretty much the same and solely aptitude&hours?

Torquetalk
11th Mar 2013, 09:57
What are you offering: similarity or diversity?

thepilot76
1st Jul 2014, 07:52
Hi

I am thinking about to apply for a CoPilot job in the northsea area.

My Details:
- EASA CPL & ATPL theory
- TT: 2350h - 1100h Helicopter: 600h PIC
- 1000h multi engine (EC135)
- 200h NVG & 120h NVFR
- HEMS - & Police aviation experiences
- LP level 5
- TRI EC135
- (PPL-A & FI-A; 1250h)

No MCC & IFR-H - so far. I am going to do the IFR-A rating as a first step inbound IFR-H.(only 10h on Heli left)

Do I have a chance to be invited for an interview?

Please give me a impression what the recruitment situation looks like.

Thank you!

Thepilot76

Bravo73
1st Jul 2014, 08:31
No MCC & IFR-H - so far. I am going to do the IFR-A rating as a first step inbound IFR-H.(only 10h on Heli left)

Do I have a chance to be invited for an interview?

Not without an IR(H), I'm afraid. (Don't worry about the MCC. That will be covered in any initial Type Rating). But you will need to get your IR first. When you do, prospects are pretty good at the moment. Most of the European offshore operators are hiring at the moment.