PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Air Canada

leaf777
26th Dec 2006, 01:36
I am currently flying for Northwest Airlink (CRJ 200), my TOTAL TIME is getting close to 1000 hours. That means I have about 333 multi....300 in a
CRJ as SIC. I am a dual citizen of Canada and the US. I notice Air Canada's Minimums are 1000 fixed wing. Can I get a job with air Canada with only 1000 hours? No one is talking about Air Canada and they are doing some major hiring......what's the deal? What is the average job going for in terms of hours? I also graduated UND with aviation management.... will that help?

surveytheworld
26th Dec 2006, 02:24
There's a ton of info already on the forums at avcanada.com.

As far as your 1000 TT - I wouldn't get your hopes up. One of my former co-workers just got hired on a few months ago, and everyone in his ground school had +5000h and had significant MPIC and/or heavy time.

As far as education, AC says they'd like you to have a degree/diploma, but there have been people hired without one.

When did you go to UND? I went there 1999/2000 until I realized all that FAA paperwork was going to get me nowhere without the right to work in the US! Great program though.

leaf777
26th Dec 2006, 03:16
Started UND in 2001 and graduated in 2005......I also will need to change my licenses over if I'm going to get on with Air Canada..... if anyone knows the average hours for a Air Canada new hire I would appreciate it.

Glorified Donkey
26th Dec 2006, 04:48
For AC 5000+ hours is what they hire with. Many guys with lots of MPIC time. The PIC time is what they look for.

For JAZZ its around 2500hours that they are hiring with for the CRJ

spencer101
26th Dec 2006, 18:04
You have to realize that the industry in Canada is substantially different than in the US. 1000 total time in Can will get you a job flying a Navajo as PIC. Seeing as you have experience on the CRJ you might have an outside chance at getting on with JAZZ but even they probably will not look at you untill you have about 1500 hrs. at least. Sorry to burst your bubble but that is the reality in Canada. I would stay in the US if I were you. :uhoh:

leaf777
26th Dec 2006, 23:43
Well it sounds like Air Canada is not such a quick way to get to the majors after all. I guess I'll have to grind it out on the CRJ down in the US...which is not to bad...but if there were a way to get on with AC before upgrade down here it would be nice.....also I know this is the wrong forum but does anyone have any info on Canadians getting on with British Airways?

spencer101
27th Dec 2006, 01:12
To get on with BA you need a few things ontop of your FAA licence. Frist you need to convert your FAA licence to a JAA licence aprox $30,000 to convert to. Second you need the legal right to work in Europe. If you have that, then more power to ya.

midseal
28th Dec 2006, 23:08
leaf777, how bout a chill pill bro(or chicka, just incase). I got a renewable prescription to infinity and beyond so supply for you is not a prob. Now take ur 1000hrs and make good with them, forget AC for now. If you are really gung-ho! about it, there is several companies up north who would love to have you, perimeter, calm air, voyageur or those remarkable companies up north flyin those ol piston types to mention a few. Get back to reality and stick to a positive plan i.e. stay American n live for greener pastures, pay ur taxes and drive, no ! I mean fly safe. That being said, you are not doing bad at all. Just stick with the program, get your pic time and pay your bills on time, not on credit. All the best to ya cheers!! happy 2007!!!!:ok:

PilotVD
3rd Jan 2007, 09:05
Pilot – CAN10022

Job Description

Click here to apply (http://aircanada.taleo.net/servlets/CareerSection?art_ip_action=FlowDispatcher&flowTypeNo=1&art_servlet_language=en&reqNo=33546&csNo=2)
Click here to apply (http://www.pprune.org/servlets/CareerSection?art_ip_action=FlowDispatcher&flowTypeNo=1&art_servlet_language=en&reqNo=33546&csNo=2)
Description
Whether a Captain, a First Officer or Relief Pilot, an Air Canada pilot's number one priority is to conduct each flight safely with due consideration to passenger comfort and on-time performance.

While the typical work month consists of approximately 80 hours of flying, pilots spend many additional hours on such ground duties as preparing flight plans, readying the aircraft for departure, and completing post-flight reports. A day's work may vary from a long-range international flight to a sequence of shorter domestic flights. Reserve duty, in which the pilot is "on call", may also be assigned.

Air Canada pilots operate out of one of the four crew bases: Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg or Vancouver. Base preferences are awarded in seniority so pilots must be willing to relocate as assigned. Pilots typically begin their career as a First Officer on domestic aircraft or as a Relief Pilot on long-range, international flights

QualificationsTo fly for Air Canada, pilots must meet certain basic requirements:

1000 hours of fixed wing flying time
Completion of schooling to the university entrance level. Ability to pass the Air Canada and Transport Canada medical and visual acuity requirements for a Category 1 medical certificate.
Canadian Commercial Pilot licence, current Instrument Rating and Multi-Engine endorsement.
Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status.
Pilot applications far exceed job vacancies, so preference is given to candidates with qualifications beyond the basic requirements. Examples of desirable additional qualifications include, but are not limited to:

Canadian Airline Transport Pilot licence
University degree or college diploma
Aviation College diploma
Military or commercial flight experience
Jet and/or glass cockpit experience
Additional language(s)