PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any info of Solisos Airline???

kattsudd
22nd Dec 2006, 15:48
Does anyone know anything about the Nigerian airline Solisos.
Thankyou...
Merrycristmax

sox6
22nd Dec 2006, 19:43
I am confident that some people know something. Could you perhaps be more specific on what you want to know?

hobie
22nd Dec 2006, 20:10
I am confident that some people know something. Could you perhaps be more specific on what you want to know?

why doesn't Google show anything? .... :confused:

surveytheworld
22nd Dec 2006, 20:30
I watched them land in a thunderstorm (less than 1/8 mile vis, about 2 inches of water on the runway in +TSRA) this past summer; they skidded by me nearly sideways as they tried to put their left main gear back ON to the runway, and my colleagues and I (we had chosen to wait until the weather cleared before we took off) ran out towards it, fully expecting to be pulling bodies out of the wreckage at the end of the runway. When the flying mud and water cleared, the tracks on the grass showed that they had touched down with the left mains off the runway and took out several runway lights on their offroading excursion. They didn't seem to be bothered (the tower didn't see what happened since the visibility was so bad) - they just hosed the mud off, did a quick turnaround (maybe enough time to clean the crap off the seats) and left.

Is that the kind of info you want to know?
Cheers!

surveytheworld
22nd Dec 2006, 20:34
why doesn't Google show anything? .... :confused:

http://www.sosolisoairline.com/

I like how they attribute the crash last year solely to a "Natural Disaster." No mention of the pilot decision making to fly into said natural disaster.

spearomic
23rd Dec 2006, 00:22
Hello, I am glad to see a discussion about this airline here, because I just got offered a pilot position but the contract seems a little bit to good to be true, for instance they are offering a monthly salary of 34 000 USD !!!:eek: :eek: :eek: I am wondering what's the catch ? Are the job really safe ? Are we gonna transport some illegal freight like arms or drugs ?
I am suppose to start working the 29th of january. The thing is I got a job right now and I am not sure I want to leave with so much questions in my mind ...
Please HELP !!!!

Here is a copy of the contract they send me :

1.0 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
Sosoliso Airline Corporation Nigeria Limited seek to employ your services as an
expatriate pilot for the provision of piloting services as stipulated in the following
acts in this document. This document embodies the approved Terms for the purpose
of this contract.

2.0 POSITION: Commercial Pilot
You will serve as a commercial pilot for the requirements of Sosoliso Airline
Corporation Nigeria Limited in Nigeria.
RESPONSIBILITY
Your responsibility entails final authority as to the safety operation of aircraft
assigned to. You must understand the FAR’s and comply at all times, coordinating
tasks to permit flight fueling, loading, passenger handling etc and associated duties
to covey passengers in a safe manner in accordance with company policies and
procedures. Pilots are team members both in cockpit (CRM) and with other
operational department. You are expected to present a professional image at all
times, including grooming standards and demeanors as a key representative of the
company to both external customers and Internal employees. All jobs must be
carried out in line with the HSE operational policy.
You would be expected to resume on site on the 29th of January 2007.
Prior to resumption as inscribed above, you shall also be expected to start your job
processes by acquiring and procuring your necessary Residence/Work permits
papers (With the Nigeria Immigration Services) on or before the 24th December,
2006 as a sign of readiness to enable you receive all your due entitlements/
emoluments prior to resumption of duty to enable you settle all domestic necessities
before embarking on project trip and avoidance of excuses leading to delays on your
side.

3.0 CONSULTING PERSONNEL:
You shall be expected to work lead a team of prime experienced pilots with the
mandate to provide excellent services.
4.0 ENTITLEMENTS:
All salary and expense figures shall be in U.S. Dollars (USD), Sterling or Euros
equivalent depending on employee home country and salary preference, (except
where employee prefers currency on his/her local/home currency).

4.1 SALARY:
Salary shall be paid monthly based on the number of fight hours flown each month
on Sterling or Euros equivalent depending on home country and currency
preference. A reserved pilot will receive a minimum of 75 credit hours per month.
Line holders pay is based on 82 to 92 hours and is paid on the higher of scheduled or
actual flight time. Our pay scales are negotiated by the Air Line Pilots Association
(ALPA) and are the highest in the regional airline industry. Work time shall be 40
hours work week for the Twelve (12) month contract term as such employee shall
also be entitled to over-time allowance if employee work time exceeds the official
stipulated hours. Salary shall also be liable to increments with time and employees'
official promotions and position in service.
Monthly salary is $34000USD (Thirty Four Thousand Dollars).

5.0 EXPENSES:
Expenses incurred by the employee related to job before commencement of duties
will be substantiated with receipts and the employer will reimburse the employee not
later than Five (5) working days after submission of employees expense report and
receipts.

5.1 ACCOMODATION:
First class accommodations will be provided for employee. Accommodation shall be
of first class international standard same as accommodates Sosoliso Airline
Corporation Nigeria Limited expatriate senior and management staff. Employer
shall also pay for and provide complete meals for employee / (Family) as deem
appropriate for period of contract.

5.2 TRAVEL:
$3,600.00 flat rate travel/entertainment allowance shall be paid to employee by
employer for each intercontinental trip. Travel shall be by business class/first class.
However for the purpose of commencement, the cost of travel ticket shall be paid in
addition to travel/entertainment allowance. Cost shall be substantiated and shall be
the rate charged at the Period/time of purchase. Employer shall also take care of
employees' travel ticket including that of employees' family only on employees' early
notification to employer and as shall be requested by employee.

5.3 MEALS:
This will be taken care of by us (employer).

5.4 MOVING EXPENSES:
The employee will be reimbursed by the employer for reasonable moving expense
incurred only as a result of relocation or early termination of leases, storage
charges; procurement of travel documents, immunizations etc. Reimbursements
shall be paid not more than five (5) Working days from submission of report/and
receipts as proof of payments.

5.5 MEDICAL EXPENSES:
Employer will provide the employee with comprehensive health care for the term of
contract, and follow-on care for injuries suffered during the term of contract for
employee and family.

5.6 OTHER ALLOWANCES AND/OR BENEFITS:
This shall be provided for as deemed appropriate, and will be paid by employer.
. Quality single or family housing in company community.
. Personal effects shipment and excess baggage allowances.
. Free medical care in Nigeria for you and your family for contract duration.

5.7 VACATION:
Employees' shall be authorized paid two times vacation during the term of the
contract, to be used at the employee’s discretion after duly informing and receiving
approval from employer’s management. Employer will pay for travel expenses (i.e.
flight tickets) and flat Rate travel allowance of US$3,600.00.

5.8 MOBILIZATIONS:
The first monthly salary shall be paid in advance before you embark on journey to
assume duty. This is to enable you settle all domestic needs before travel. As such no
excuses will be entertained on assumption of duty relating to default. All payment of
Salary after assumption of duty in Nigeria shall be 75% paid into an offshore
account to be provided by employee with the remaining 25% paid locally in Nigeria.
This is in line with the Federal Republic of Nigeria expatriate financial statutory
laws. Expatriate shall also be liable to pay 10% of salary as withholding tax to the
relevant authority in Nigeria.

5.9 CONTRACT:
This is with effect from 29th of January 2007, when the contractor/consultant
assumes duty in Nigeria.

V1_RHOT8
23rd Dec 2006, 03:35
- they just hosed the mud off, did a quick turnaround (maybe enough time to clean the crap off the seats) and left.

.......Hey Survey, I was dumbfounded for some minutes after reading your post. You mean these 'Liso guys play "Russian Roulette" with lives??? No offence, but guess they had that PH thing coming. Meanwhile, I've been reading in the news something about fake/forged documents and certificates. Anyone know about this?

Men these guys should just paint their planes yellow and black, cos they are no different from the buses out there.

Cheers,
V1.

18left
23rd Dec 2006, 07:24
spearomic
this look like a scam letter to me,the sosoliso i know will not pay 34000 usd per month,although sosoliso airlines does exisit its presently grounded by the authourities due safety oversights and insurance

B200Drvr
23rd Dec 2006, 07:39
18Left,
Agree entirely, not sure why they would be recruiting when they are grounded indefinitely!! and dont mean to be a pesimist, but I doubt very much whether they or any other Nigerian airline would pay $34 K.p/m as a starting point.

kattsudd
23rd Dec 2006, 08:03
If it seems to be too good it probably is, no company would pay 34K unless your youre going to fly coke or something.
They seem to be really f -up.
Merry chrismas

spearomic
23rd Dec 2006, 10:50
Thank yall for the feedback, I'm just gonna drop this option and keep my job at least I know what's goin on !

Merry X-Mas

Rani
23rd Dec 2006, 12:55
Sosoliso Airlines's AOC was revoked by the NCAA and it's almost 100% certain they will never fly again.

To compound the nightmare for the owners, the French civil aviation authority contacted and warned the NCAA days ago about Sosoliso's forging of parts certificate documents.

Sosoliso is history, save yourself the hassle and energy.

spearomic
23rd Dec 2006, 18:14
I found that on http://www.thetidenews.com/article.aspx?qrDate=12/13/2006&qrTitle=%E2%80%98Sosoliso%20ready%20to%20pay%20compensation% E2%80%99&qrColumn=AVIATION

an article from Wednesday, Dec 13, 2006

...Chief Ikwueniesi ...

He said the airline may resume operations next week, stating that the management expected that by Friday the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) may have return the Air Operator Certificate (AOC) of the airline. He also disclosed that the airline is expecting two more new aircraft before the first week of January, stressing that the aircraft recently acquired two new aircraft that are not less than five years...

Anybody has info about that ?

hobie
23rd Dec 2006, 19:36
http://www.sosolisoairline.com/

now I understand ..... :)

Muchas gracias ..... :ok:

unstable load
23rd Dec 2006, 20:05
The 34k is the FIRST month's salary.:) Then you will be in the country and the next trick will be to keep getting paid, or if you quit, to try to get the return leg of your relocation costs paid. :ugh:
Assuming off course that you are not by then sitting in a Nigerian jail for breach of contract or something similarly dreamt up.:ouch: :mad: :eek:

BTW, Merry Christmas and hapy festered season to you all, wherever you are, fly safe and be good.

UL.

surveytheworld
23rd Dec 2006, 22:07
.......Hey Survey, I was dumbfounded for some minutes after reading your post. You mean these 'Liso guys play "Russian Roulette" with lives??? No offence, but guess they had that PH thing coming. Meanwhile, I've been reading in the news something about fake/forged documents and certificates. Anyone know about this?

Men these guys should just paint their planes yellow and black, cos they are no different from the buses out there.

Cheers,
V1.

You're right about the PH thing - and they did not learn from it. Thought you may be interested in seeing the photos.

All photos taken from the mid-field taxiway, the first two shortly after the incident.

The first one looks towards the touch-down zone, the second one looks down the runway to where they got all wheels back on to it and started to skid, and the third one is after things dried up and you can sort of see the skid marks on the runway, about 1000' - 1500' from the end.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/chipmunkRRI/mini-IMG_4529.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/chipmunkRRI/mini-IMG_4531.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/chipmunkRRI/IMG_4535-2.jpg

LongJohnThomas
24th Dec 2006, 02:00
spearomic,
All said and done, that is one scam they hope you fall for:suspect: .
Sosoliso is not registered as a corporation to start with, and i know for sure, there aint NO airline in Nigeria Paying that kinda money:ugh: ; Hell! I'd be home in a flash!
As far as i know for now, or at least till the government changes in may next year, sosoliso is not flying because the AOC was not suspended, but revoked!
You may wanna rethink making a move in that direction mate, you might be the one who ends up paying out that $34k.
Merry Christmas mate!:ok:

AVSEC
27th Dec 2006, 12:51
From what I have read in their rejoinder to these claims,sosoliso management claim the aircraft a DC9,came with the parts being scrutinised and for which they have presented documentary proof,and they have metioned which company they purchased the aircraft from.

They also claim that the aircraft had not been used for eighteen months prior to the accident,and was put up for sale.
So you detractors should SHUT THE HELL UP AND GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.
NCAA are doing a great job,and the media should support them by ensuring the facts as they are is reported in full,so these speculators dont ruin reputations unnecessarily.
The ADC aircraft that crashed was leased to ADC by an Irish Man Chris Geohaegan who represents an American Based company,who was also responsible for the maintenance but you dont see his name here or in the media.
Independent investigation has attributed the crash of Sosoliso to weather phenomenon.Why dont you quote that you misguided sooth sayers.

Rani
27th Dec 2006, 14:13
Fed up with you wankers.
First, you should take it easy! No need to bad mouth anyone.
Second, I'm not sure what your real position is towards SOSOLISO. If you are defending their record as a so-called "airline" - that would be a reflection of your own professional conduct. Now beside the fact that the Sosoliso crash claimed dozens of children's lives, it's very obvious the crew elected to land during severe thunderstorms and windshear activity in a hazardous field such as PHC (prone to power outage and ILS going bezerk). Granted the weather "centres" are unreliable, the fire engines irresponsive, etc. This is absolutely no excuse to take risks. Aero and VK are now behaving accordingly and should be commended+emulated.
Can anyone honestly say Sosoliso operated to book? What about training schemes for the crew, the airline never commented about this. Their attitute towards customers is pathetic hence their schedule disruption every time an aircraft goes to Euro for its checks. The French came forward with evidence that some of their parts are fake (Sosoliso ignorance about this issue does not absolve them of the blame/responsibility :mad: ).
In conclusion, tokunbo airlines run by chiefs/godfathers/ogas/alhajis/obas should take a hike, and save a few children's lives while they show us their back!
PS. I wouln't bet on Sosoliso coming back post May 2007 because NCAA is now autonomous, and it seems NCAA's sharp teeth were eyeing Sosoliso waaaaaaaay before their autonomy was legislated+signed into law.

Revnetwork
27th Dec 2006, 18:21
AVSEC,
Take it easy man! I do understand your frustration with certain posts that might not have the full facts, but people are only repeating what they heard/read from other sources. Your claim seems to say "well, there was windshear, we flew into it and crashed.-it's not our fault" I am dumbfounded by that!!!!!
With regards to the Sosoliso incident in PH last year, I was very incensed when I saw that they were attributing the cause of the crash to natural weather phenomena. I have seen a copy of the report although I don't have it with me now, but I remember that some of the causes identified were:
1) The crews' decision to continue an approach into an area of expected windshear
2) Their decision to continue the approach lower than the DH while not stabilsed or even on the ILS in poor visibility.
3) Their late decision to execute a go-around
4) Touchdown was on the grass between the runway and taxiway
etc,etc,
There were other contributary causes of the fatalities as well, including but not limited to a)the poor/non-existent fire cover at the airport. b) the inappropriate placement of the concrete berm the aircraft struck, but the airline must be blamed fully.
I wonder why immediately after the accident, Sosoliso was in the press every other day advertising the fact that they had just recruited an American training captain. That to me looks like the actions of an airline that knew they'd done something wrong. How they got along without training captains before the accident, I don't know.

Flying Bucket
27th Dec 2006, 19:09
Hello guys,
I being new here would expect that we can all make deductions to any thread, be it rumour, or hear say.
It is not a very nice thing to read through and find fellows using language here that is only befitting of those without common sense.
If a person disagrees with another, its no reason to get personal, i think we are all entitled to make our little inputs whether right or wrong.
Avsec, i think you owe us all an apology, you may not know us all personally, but it's just wise to keep the peace.
Sosoliso's accident from what i hear, was narrowed down to windshear.
Happy holidays guys.

jeff748
29th Dec 2006, 09:05
Some of the terms and conditions of the contract as it pertains to Line Captains is follows:
1.Guest house at home base or any other location the company is based.
2.Transportation,to and from work will be provided.
3.Paid holliday of four (4) weeks at a stretch after every six (6) months during the period of agreement.
4.The company will provide life insurance when on duty.
5.License insurance,according to the appropriate procedure will also be ensured.
6.All necessary books and documents required for carrying out duties will be provided.
7.Working time will be in accordance with Sosoliso Operations Manual.
8.A Nigerian residence and work permit for the period of contract.
9.A return ticket from country of origin to Nigeria during the holliday will be provided.
10.Every day time up to 10hrs and every engagement time up to four (4) landings during this time,you will be paid a duty allowance of N2, 500 and an out of base night stop allowance of N3, 000
11.Medical protection to and from medical centre.

If the conditions are okay by you,we ask that you please make necessary arrangements to immediately travel to Nigeria.You will be recieved here in Lagos where accomodation and transport will be provided for you on arrival.

You will also be reimbursed the cost of your flight ticket to Lagos,Nigera from your current base.

Captain Buck
29th Dec 2006, 21:09
AVSEC,

You're starting to lose credibility by insulting everyone on this forum and this will do you no good if you wish to maintain the unbiased attitude necessary in a security expert.

Independent investigation has attributed the crash of Sosoliso to weather phenomenon.Why dont you quote that you misguided sooth sayers.

The Aviation Safety Network, recognised by many aviation safety bureaus as having been reliable since it was started 10 years ago seems to view the accident rather more from the viewpoint of other posters on this site:

PROBABLE CAUSE: The crew's decision to continue the approach beyond the Decision Altitude without having the runway and/or airport in sight.
Contributory factors were:
- the aircraft encountered adverse weather conditions with the ingredients of wind shear activity on approach
- the reducing visibility in thunderstorm and rain as at the time the aircraft came in to land
- the airfield lightings were not on and may also have impaired the pilot from sighting the runway
- the aircraft had an impact with the exposed drainage concrete culvert which led to its disintegration and subsequent fire outbreak

Now, the management of Sosoliso may chose to say that inclement weather was the cause of the accident, but the stated probable cause is that the crew continued below decision height without having the required visual reference. When that happens in any reputable airline, there's no further decision to make - the aircraft immediately commences a GO AROUND. After that the crew may either decide to make another approach or set course for their diversion airfield.

The airline remains grounded with its AOC revoked.

treetop_flyer
29th Dec 2006, 21:50
[quote=AVSEC;3039018]
So you detractors should SHUT THE HELL UP AND GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.
Why dont you quote that you misguided sooth sayers.
quote]
Gee...... are there no moderators on this forum?

I do believe avsec needs a finger wagging, if not more!

Jetdriver
29th Dec 2006, 22:31
There are, but sometimes we work elsewhere.

AVSEC
31st Dec 2006, 20:24
I apologise for my immature earlier statements.
After the former minister of aviations error in judgement making official pronouncements on behalf of the ministry of aviation before studying the investigatory report,I would have thought that many african aviation observers and stake holders would have been careful as to how they interprete comments emanating fro Parastatals of the government.

I am of the opinion that many Nigerian airports are poorly equipped with landing aids and I believe the Paul dike report exposes this,as well as revelations from the ADC crash.

I am sad that so many children and adults lost their lives in the Sosoliso accident,but as a professional and stake holder in West African Aviation industry,I believe a spade should be called a spade,no matter whose ox is gored.

1.Has it been disproved that for 18 months the DC9 was out of operational use?
2.Has it neen disproved that the DC9 was not up for sale,and does it not make sense to maintain the aircraft when D checks were due so that a higher price could be got in its sale?
3.How long had the DC9 been operating,and why had the documents relating to parts of the aircraft not earlier detected?
4.Has it been disproved that the documents and parts in question did not come with the aircraft when Sosoliso purchased it?
5.Who should be sanctioned,Sosoliso or the company that knowingly sold the DC9 with parts thathad fake American government certification?
6.Should the ministry of aviation via foreign affairs of the federal government of nigeria not be trying to bring criminal action against that foreign company,by pressuring the supervising government civil aviation authority to bring action against that company?
7.The fact that sosoliso forwarded the documents to the NCAA,ministry of aviation and french civil aviation authorities does imply to me that they may not have been aware there was a problem.

Sosoliso has a lot of questions to answer RE:their technical department/procurement department, and their mode of procuring aircrafts insurance coverage.
However,what cannot be ignored is that in a balance of probabilities it has been shown that weather phenomenon and bad airport management were the main contributive factors to the accident.
why does no one seem to be asking what ATC communication was with the sosoliso crew on approach?
Were the crew warned about the changing weather?
Has an audit been done on the training of all personnel attached to ATC in PHC at the time of the accident?

MamaPut
31st Dec 2006, 22:01
AVSEC

Apology accepted! :ok:

Please don't think I'm getting at you when I say that captain Buck was quite correct in what he said. Irrespective of the weather phenomena and whether ATC warned the crew, most aircraft these days are equipped with weather radar; but his most telling statement is the fact that, in the event that the crew does not have the required visual reference at DH(DA) there's no further decision to make - the aircraft immediately commences a GO AROUND. After that the crew may either decide to make another approach or set course for their diversion airfield.

I take due note of all your other comments regarding Sosoliso's culpability or otherwise in the matter of the spare parts and the accompanying documentation and agree that this needs further investigation.

Frangible
4th Jan 2007, 12:51
I know you don't have it any more, but any clues as to where the report can be obtained? I have been trying to get Nigerian official investigation reports for some time and have never yet succeeded.

AVSEC
4th Jan 2007, 14:32
Got my info via electronic media.They have a nigerian newspaper called the day or something close to that.Very impressive that it was given such coverage.

Revnetwork
4th Jan 2007, 15:37
I heard from friends that copies of reports can be bought for a fee as I don't think that the Accident Investigation & Prevention Bureau (AIPB) believe the free dissemination of accident reports is useful. :ugh:
Additionally, they haven't entered the digital age yet so nothing is online.

Frangible
8th Jan 2007, 13:45
Thanks for those replies.
Funny that AIPB thinks that, as it is an ICAO requirement.