PDA

View Full Version : Would this be acceptable?

SFH
21st Dec 2006, 12:39
I have thought of a career in flying, But was always quite interested in controlling. As getting a decent job in flying is quite risky I was wondering If this would be acceptable:
(All assuming I was accepted) Go to Nats college then spend the 3 years or so controlling to get a full license. While obtaining an ATPL etc for flying commercially. If I was to then get a job and leave to go commercial then in 15 years time or so loose my license for any reason such as medical. Would I be welcomed back to control? Would I need to do certain training again?
So was basically wondering If ATC could be there to fall back on if I ever needed, Or is it just simply not that easy.

Many Thanks
SFH

Gonzo
21st Dec 2006, 13:02
The medical for controlling with NATS in the UK is the same (Class One) as you'd need for ATPL flying.

I also don't think there's any way you could possibly train as an ATCO whilst also train for an ATPL, time-wise.

eastern wiseguy
21st Dec 2006, 13:17
Nice attitude.......don't waste my time as an OJTI .

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Dec 2006, 13:17
I think you need to make a decision about your career. ATC is at least as demanding as flying - probably a damn sight more if you work in a busy unit.

As Gonzo said, ATC medicals are the same as pilots so you wouldn't be able to fall back on ATC, any more than you could fall back on flying if you lost your ATC medical. In any event, it would be very unwise to imagine you could pop in ATC if the flying side went wrong in the years ahead. As you get older, ATC becomes increasingly difficult and it would be extremely difficult for, say, a 40-year old to start ATC from scratch.

There are plenty of ATCOs who hold ATPLs but those I know have started their ATC careers first, ie got licences and completed unit validation training, before doing their flying seriously.

Good luck with whatever you do..

MancBoy
21st Dec 2006, 13:31
It takes a few sessions to get back into it when you have been on leave for a cycle, 14 days where we are, so how would it be after 15 years?

Very Hard!!!

SFH
21st Dec 2006, 13:35
Thanks for that. Didn't realise ATC medicals are the same Class 1 Medical. Certaintly woke me up abit, still have alot of thinking. (MancBoy I very much agree. Maybe I was just dreaming ey?)
Pilot or ATC, Both have their advantages/disadvantages. Just can't make up my mind which route to take :ugh:

throw a dyce
21st Dec 2006, 15:29
Why don't you go and start on the PPL.That way you can see if you prefer flying or something else.If you don't like the flying then it isn't a whole lot of money wasted.It's good brownie points for the student Atco interview as well.You need mega bucks to pay for an ATPL straight off.:)

anotherthing
21st Dec 2006, 15:32
SFH -

I have done both (though the flying was low level military stuff) - I would say controlling at a complex/busy unit beats flying civvy routes any day - maybe not for the pay side of things, but for sheer enjoyment and challenge - ATCO is the way ahead.

Sitting on a funbus that can auto land, checking the Ts and Ps is not IMHO interesting. Nice view, but dull after a while.

Pilots are highly skilled and in an emergency or unusual situation they earn every penny and more, but that does not happen often.

flower
21st Dec 2006, 15:50
SFH,

if you haven't already see if you can get a visit to an ATC unit as well it will give you an idea of what it is like and may help in your decision making ( a busier unit rather than a small airfield somewhere if possible). Maybe a read of Mr Dukes book as well that we are singing the praises of on another thread.

Permanent Echo
21st Dec 2006, 17:05
SFH

I feel you are underestimating what exactly being an ATCO involves. It is an intense challenging and rewarding career with an even more intense and challenging training process. To validate at a unit such as Swanwick would take around 3 years assuming you sailed through all of the assessments first time. I seriously doubt anybody with less than 100% commitment to becoming an ATCO would even make it close to validation as even the most committed have their 'is it worth it' moments throughout training. It is not the kind of job you can stroll in and out of at the drop of a hat.

My advice - have a good think about what you want, get to a unit, chat to the ATCOs and then make your decision. For what its worth, it is an incredible game to get into with an excellent quality of life waiting for you at validation.

Good luck in whichever path you choose :ok:

Echo

Spitoon
21st Dec 2006, 17:32
So was basically wondering If ATC could be there to fall back on if I ever needed, Or is it just simply not that easy.The latter.