PDA

View Full Version : The Cheese 'iest safety film award

jamestkirk
20th Dec 2006, 11:52
Now before I start. I just want to say that the GASco Human factors DVD is very good and I will mention it to my students to watch. I am in no way questioning any part of the content.

My cocern is this; the acting is verging on offensive. Please watch the 'oliver in his Cessna 172. Now these guys are pilots so would not necessary have natural acting ability. But the two women waiting for them are the worst actors I have ever seen. It's an aviation version of acorn antiques.

Also, go to extra's and watch the 'rust remover for pilots' advert. It makes Barry Scott's Cillit bang commercial look like King Lear.

Us flying instructors are probably a bit quiet (flying wise i mean, cos we always have something to say) at the moment and need something to raise our spirits. If thats the case, then watch these people act. It will have you rolling in the isles and I can promise you, there will not be a dry eye in the house.

unfazed
20th Dec 2006, 14:05
I agree the acting was a bit OTT but I think that was the point. Some serious points were made using humour, I have been in many of those situations whilst flying talkative passengers. The passenger who suddenly starts talking drivel and want's to know everything is alive and well

I laughed quite a lot because I had first hand experience of many of the cock ups ! Just not all at the same time on the same trip !:)

jamestkirk
20th Dec 2006, 15:11
Yes, I also have made those mistakes. I learnt that it's better to be down here wishing you were up there.......etc.

I do get a bit firm with relatively in-experienced pilots when they look fleetingly at the weather/runway condition etc. and say "it'll be alright". Thankfully it happens rarely, but I make apoint of explaining why and what can happen.

Doesn't always make you popular but i believe that other people can learn from my own mistakes

VFE
20th Dec 2006, 20:07
I agree that the acting isn't exactly RSC territory but cut them some slack - these films are not cheap to make so my hunch is that the actors involved were people involved with aviation primarily and perhaps enjoy a spot of am-dram at weekends.

BTW, check this thread out: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256248 ;)

VFE.

PS: Loved the Oliver story: "enough mistakes to fill a sick bag!".

Astrocaryum vulgare
21st Dec 2006, 12:58
I love cheesy safety films. Could some kind individual post it on You Tube?