PDA

View Full Version : Fuel suppliers in the north

fltcom
19th Dec 2006, 18:07
Hi folks

This is a long shot. A small group of us are planning an ambitious trip next summer (07) Arriving in Canada via Eureka in the far north then down to Taloyoak and Churchill eventually ending up in Oshkosh. Fuel is potentially the biggest problem in that they dont have supplies of 100LL at either Eureka or Taloyoak. This means we are going to have to get supplies flown or shipped in to those two places somehow.

My question therefore, is who supplies avgas in Northern Canada (Shell, BP, Exxon? some other?) If we can find out who supplies it, then maybe that will lead us to someone who can then deliver it for us.

All help and advice greatfully received.

20driver
19th Dec 2006, 18:20
I have never gone that far north. I do know there is AVGAS at Pickle Lake.
Suggest you try the AVCANADA forum or COPA at

http://www.copanational.org/non-members/index.htm

The non members section has some info on some Northern airports.

Also the Canadian Flight Supplement should have that info - or at least contact #'s

Sounds like a decent trip. Keep us posted.

20driver

Sir LandsAlot
20th Dec 2006, 15:29
I've flown in the high arctic, and can tell you that you will have a very tough time finding 100LL in Eureka. It's not impossible, but you would have to get the fuel flown in (try calling Kenn Borek if you are really curious about cost). Then consider that landing in Eureka is by prior permission only. If the weather is good, it will be one of the most beautiful trips in your life. If not, it will be very unforgiving - no close alternates, especially around Eureka and you are very close to magnetic north pole, so an IFR GPS is a good idea. Weather prediction is very unreliable up there as well.

As an alternate plan, try looking at Greenland to Igloolik (CYGT) then Rankin Inlet (CYRT). Call the airport operator in Igloolik - (867)934-8947 - for info regarding 100LL. There may be a few drums at the airport even though its not listed.

Please remember that what you are planning is not for the faint of heart, especially in a small piston (hence the lack of 100LL up there).

2R
20th Dec 2006, 20:10
You will need a Canada Flight supplement and charts for a start .

The CFS lists CYEU Eureka NU as PPR
Prior permission required,as for fuel you may have to have it flown in.

The operator of cyeu is enviorment canada 204-984-6376

Calgary pilot supply can get you most of the charts you will need or VIP in St hubert Qc can help with the maps and cfs

Plan well ahead as it is a long way between airports .Some of the artic airports are ppr.

Kenn Borek 403-291-3300

fltcom
20th Dec 2006, 20:47
Thanks for the tips.

We flew from the UK to Spitsbergen (79N) earlier this year in the arctic winter) so we know a little of what challenges lie ahead. I already have obtained a Canada Flight Supplement and some old charts but fuel is going to be the boggest headache. Already had one quote of CAN$ 18000 to charter a King Air to fly the fuel up. There must be a lower cost alternative?

Flt

Sir LandsAlot
21st Dec 2006, 13:31
Lower cost alternative - don't go to Eureka. All supplies are flown in and unlike Spitsbergen, there are no locals living there because it's too far north and way too cost prohibative.

Airhopper
24th Dec 2006, 16:05
I have flown UK-Greenland-Eureka and onwards a number of times in a Cessna 210. Most recent was this summer and I was able to obtain AVGAS in drums from Aziz Kheraj at South Camp Inn in Resolute (867) 252 3737. He had quite a few so I suspect there should be no problem.

I am based in Cambridge UK and happy to receive email and chat.