PDA

View Full Version : United 93 Film

radar707
18th Dec 2006, 22:27
Just watched this tonight.

A thought provoking film which made me cry!!!

A day I will never forget nor should any of us.

Some very brave passengers who if had only managed to act 5 minutes sooner could have changed the whole outcome of that day (assuming you don't believe the paranoid conspiracy theorists)

BOK2GO
19th Dec 2006, 06:28
I saw it last week. I was astounded at the lack of comms between civil and military operations.

Funk
19th Dec 2006, 08:03
Yes it is a sad sorry but is has been given the usual hollywood god bless usa b...s...t treatment :rolleyes:

If you want to see a film about terrorism watch Syriana.

songbird29
19th Dec 2006, 10:28
In terms of realism the film United 93 is high above everything I have seen before as so-called aviation films. Perhaps with the exclusion of the film about the collision over Croatie in the seventies or eighties, which also had a very high degree of realism in the description of ATC.

For those interested in the full story of the Civil-Mil (mis)communications I make reference to the NORAD tapes published by the assistant producer of the film United 93 on www.vanityfair.com

Vanity Fair journalist/assistant producer Michael Bronner acquired the tapes after the making of the film with a note from the Pentagon that "the signing of the Declaration of Independance took less coordination". From the tapes one can read how the staff on duty on 11th September tried to get to grips with the situation, but it were the high ranking generals and civils before the official Senate enquiries who cocked everything up with false declarations which in turn have so much contributed to the conspiracy theories. The lack of Coms is to a high degree explainable in the never-seen-before panic situation, but the cover up is the really shameful part of the story.

Scott Voigt
19th Dec 2006, 23:35
Don't forget too that NORAD was designed to look OUT and not in, that helped compound the issues that the military had with this.

regards

Scott

rab-k
20th Dec 2006, 18:40
Perhaps in 25 years when I'm out of the business I'll be able to watch this kind of thing, but it makes my blood run cold just to think about it.

Also, by that time Rummy's 'slip of the tongue' might be proved to be just that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmzEzOJd2ws&mode=related&search=

Duff Man
21st Dec 2006, 06:10
Funk, you've confused United 93 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475276/) with the sensationalist telemovie Flight 93 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481522/). Go see the former, amazing stuff. Saw it myself earlier in the year at a local film festival and from certain quarters of the cinema hearty chuckles at the Defense dept bungling.

Radarspod
21st Dec 2006, 12:15
aah, now that makes more sense.....Flight 93 sure didn't leave me feeling sad, apart from the money wasted at the cinema.:ugh:

hang on....which one did I see?

Tarq57
21st Dec 2006, 23:27
Just saw this thread, got it out on DVD to watch. Way beyond sad. Good on them for having a go. You'd have to hope you'd do the same (and have a total belief in a better outcome). I hope no-one ever has to again. I thought that apart from a few minor "Hollywoods" (occasional wrong a/c type, big booming noises for effect every time the '75 pitched or rolled unusually) it was a very good depiction, and likely very accurate portrayal of how it would be. The authorities on the ground were totally unprepared for anything of this magnitude, and watching it, you can understand why and how. How can anyone create a comprehensive easy to follow list of procedures affecting several separate organizations for something of this magnitude? They were overwhelmed; there was insufficient time. That they achieved what they did on the day is a remarkable testament to the individuals on the front line.

One thing that struck me about the film was reading (briefly) the cast list at the end. Anyone else notice how many "xxx as Himself " titles there were?
Quite a few folk who were there on the day acted their own parts in this film. How tough would that be?

MightyGem
29th Dec 2006, 03:51
Saw it when it came out, was in tears for most of it. Very moving. :(