PDA

View Full Version : B-737 Classic - Landing,Taxy and Turn off light limits

onehundred
16th Dec 2006, 15:28
May be I missed it before, but does anybody know if there are limitations affecting the use of the above mentioned lights during ground ops.
On the B-707 we had some limiting the use for max 5 minutes if not taxying.

Thanks

Rainboe
16th Dec 2006, 16:24
There are no limitations.

BOAC
16th Dec 2006, 17:13
CaptainSandl reckons there is! (http://www.b737.org.uk/aircraft_general.htm)

dolly737
16th Dec 2006, 18:14
Quote from the Manual:
The lights are designed to extend and shine forward, parallel to the waterline of the airplane. The lights may be extended at any speed.
This is true for the Classic ("Outboard Landing Lights") and NG ("Retractable Landing Lights").

Drop The Dunlops
16th Dec 2006, 18:18
This isn't a Boeing limitation, CB is just pointing out on his website that extending the retractable lights above 250 kts will wear the assembly more quickly, hence why EZY have asked us drivers not to do it.

On a separate note, during command training one dark and wet night in AMS, a training captain criticised me for switching on the fixed landing lights momentarily to illuminate the taxiway, stating they would burn out due to lack of airflow over them. Not too sure about that, but again it's not a limitation or a contravention of SOP, so do as you like! :-)

stator vane
17th Dec 2006, 10:36
that's not to mention, the adverse resistance that the photons would produce, increasing the fuel burn and slowing the aircraft down!!!

some checkairmen must find it necessary to dig deep at times to find something/anything to correct upon.

one checkride i had, all he could write up was that i should leave my shoulder straps on until parking brake was set!!!!! god i love flying on the edge!!!

Centaurus
17th Dec 2006, 11:06
Reminds me of the 737 pushback in Taipei with engines running but A System depressurised and APU supplying the buses. Engineer driving tractor complains he is being blinded by nose wheel light and asks the crew to switch of the thing. Captains swears (they do that sometimes) and by mistake switches of the APU switch which is the switch adjacent to nose wheel light switch. Result instant semi-darkness due no AC power and loud swearing from Chinese engineer who was hurled from his truck by busted tow bar which tried to centralise the nose wheel after the A system hydraulics pressurised.

Check Airman
17th Dec 2006, 12:53
Reminds me of the 737 pushback in Taipei with engines running but A System depressurised and APU supplying the buses. Engineer driving tractor complains he is being blinded by nose wheel light and asks the crew to switch of the thing. Captains swears (they do that sometimes) and by mistake switches of the APU switch which is the switch adjacent to nose wheel light switch. Result instant semi-darkness due no AC power and loud swearing from Chinese engineer who was hurled from his truck by busted tow bar which tried to centralise the nose wheel after the A system hydraulics pressurised.

LOL that made my day...I don't fly 737's, but why would the A system suddenly pressurize?

Swedish Steve
17th Dec 2006, 13:28
LOL that made my day...I don't fly 737's, but why would the A system suddenly pressurize?
The old B737 had no steering lock out pin, so you turned off the A sys engine driven pumps and then started the engines.
Losing electrics means that the depressurisation solenoids relax and allow full hyd pressure into the system.
EDP depressurisation solenoids are always energised for OFF.

super 27
17th Dec 2006, 19:52
May be I missed it before, but does anybody know if there are limitations affecting the use of the above mentioned lights during ground ops.
On the B-707 we had some limiting the use for max 5 minutes if not taxying.

Thanks

the only limitation is to momentarily use unless in motion, that means if you are in motion there's no limitation,but as soon as you stop it should go out.