PDA

View Full Version : Cause of MK Airlines Port Harcourt 747 crash

punkalouver
15th Dec 2006, 03:20
This comes from the Canadian report on their Halifax crash.

The Federal Republic of Nigeria, Ministry of Aviation, produced a Civil Aviation Accident Report (FMA/AIPB/389) for the company's third accident in Port Harcourt, with one fatality. A review of the report and information obtained from other sources indicated that the pilot flying was following a non-standard autopilot approach, tracking a localizer radial inbound and descending using vertical speed mode; MK Airlines Limited company policy was to not use the autopilot below 2000 feet agl. There were other indications of non-adherence to procedures, including the failure to make appropriate calls between the pilot flying and pilot not flying. A lack of situational awareness due to poor cockpit coordination was apparent, and there was a problem interpreting the visual references on the approach

Here is the original locked out PPrune thread.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=418&highlight=harcourt

MrBernoulli
15th Dec 2006, 05:57
Both sources are quite old now, so your point is .....?

punkalouver
15th Dec 2006, 12:01
My point is....that as I look back over the threads concerning this accident I didn't see any posts concerning what the final conclusion was and I didn't know myself. I found it somewhere else and posted it here for anyone who is interested. Unfortunately I couldn't attach it to the end of the original thread.
All in the name of aviation safety old chap. For those who are concerned about that... they will understand the point immediately.

Frangible
15th Dec 2006, 13:15
It is most welcome. It is some evidence that Nigeria actually produces official investigation reports, even if there seems to be no way -- other than government to government -- that anyone can get a look at them. Under ICAO rules they are supposed to be publicly available.