PDA

View Full Version : Telex ANR850 headset

Woolsack
14th Dec 2006, 20:17
Can anyone give me feedback on the Telex Airman ANR850 headset? I would especially welcome an opinion from any Gulfstream IV drivers out there. It retails in the US for around $400 so any information on competing products would also be good. Thanks in advance.

Rainboe
14th Dec 2006, 21:10
If you do a search on Telex 850, it will bring up a previous thread of this versus the Sennheiser. I bought the Telex at 350 pounds- top rate in the UK (much cheaper now), comes with double plug, no need for batteries, and works a treat in a 737. Noticeable difference. If I lost it I would get another. No idea how the Sennheiser compares- I would guess you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Woolsack
14th Dec 2006, 21:26
Thanks for that. I actually did a search but couldn't find anything. Probably me not knowing what I am doing! Anything further from Gulfstream guys would be welcomed.

Manual Reversion
14th Dec 2006, 21:30
Excellent on 747-400

galaxy flyer
14th Dec 2006, 21:37
Quite nice on the very quiet Global Express!!! Like the no battery design, bought at Sportys.com in the US.

GF

Rainboe
14th Dec 2006, 21:39
Here's the original thread reference I used to decide what to buy:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226101

I can't understand why everyone else says the 737 is so noisy when I find it quieter than other types. I guess the dreaded deafness at certain tones is creeping in!

speedrestriction
15th Dec 2006, 09:33
Sorry for the thread creep but I think I am better off asking my question here than starting another thread:

Has anyone used the Telex 500 ANR headset? Is it any good?

Planning to get a new headset for use on TPs.

sr

formulaben
15th Dec 2006, 13:33
My copilot bought one and I'm planning on doing the same. I was quite impressed. I've used ANR before, but I've experienced 2 problems:

1) Batteries and associated battery pack are a pain and result in having no ANR
2) Less expensive ANR units tend to convert low frequency noise to high(er) frequency noise.

The Airman 850 definitely got rid of problem #1 and does a better job at #2 than others. I plan on buying a set soon.

Steady Eddie
15th Dec 2006, 21:37
Although it's not specific to your question Woolsack, I've been using the same Telex Airman 750 for five years on a GIV. It's never let me down. It doesn’t have ANR, however I don't find the Gulfstream cockpit particularly noisy, even at low level.
Have the co-pilot reach back and pull the curtain over the main entrance door in the climb out. The wind noise there will thus be considerably reduced. The Flight Attendant can stow it again when preparing the cabin for landing.

Woolsack
16th Dec 2006, 14:14
Thanks for the post and the tip. I've been flying a G-II in recent weeks but am returning to the G-IV this month. The G-II has turned me into a deaf mute!