PDA

View Full Version : The aircraft that left its pilot on the ground

ORAC
14th Dec 2006, 06:22
The Times: (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,173-2502212,00.html) The aircraft that left its pilot on the ground :\

The pilot of a light aircraft who stepped out of the cockpit to restart a stalled engine could only watch in horror as it careered down the runway, took off and performed a loop before crashing.

The 70-year-old pilot, who was dressed in a protective suit and flying goggles, was preparing for a flight around Barton Aerodrome, near Manchester. He had just taxied the aircraft, a privately owned Luton Minor, to a holding point on the runway when the engine appeared to stall.

As he climbed out to hand-swing the propeller, he believes that he inadvertently nudged the throttle with his leg. It was enough for the aircraft to splutter into life and set off along the runway. The pilot desperately tried to direct the plane to open wooded ground by grabbing a wing strut, but he lost his grip and the aircraft took off without him.

Witnesses later described seeing the aircraft bank to the right before entering the loop and crash to the ground upside down, causing severe damage to the propeller, engine and fuselage.

The accident, which happened in September, was detailed in a report by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch.Investigators said that the pilot, who has not been named, had a National Private Pilot’s Licence and 410 hours’ flying time. He had also spent 28 hours flying the Luton Minor, a single-seat wood and fabric plane of a design that dates from the 1930s. The crashed aircraft was 35 years old.

Captain Smithy
14th Dec 2006, 08:28
Oooooooops...:\

I love the way the media reports aviation stuff. "Witnesses later described seeing the aircraft bank to the right before entering the loop and crash to the ground upside down" - in other words, the aircraft entered a right turn and went inverted. D'oh! All this from "journalists" who were meant to be good at English. Heh heh.

Captain S

treadigraph
14th Dec 2006, 12:21
Never a good idea to let Minors go off on their own... :}

shortstripper
14th Dec 2006, 13:01
Lucky it wasn't the Luton's slightly bigger two seat brother then, or there'd have been a major rather than a minor disaster!

SS

stiknruda
14th Dec 2006, 14:49
The crashed aircraft was 35 years old.

It couldn't have been a minor - it's over 18!:cool:

The SSK
14th Dec 2006, 14:53
In the airline biz, unaccompanied minors fly all the time, without incident.

Microfright
14th Dec 2006, 15:02
Me thinks it will need a bit more than a few Minor repairs.

englishal
14th Dec 2006, 15:52
I wouldn't have thought that such a Minor incident was reportable?

kevmusic
14th Dec 2006, 18:05
This thread's a mine o' information.

S205-18F
14th Dec 2006, 22:01
Full of Minor details:E

stickandrudderman
14th Dec 2006, 23:28
I heard the pilot was a Morris dancer.
(think about it)

S205-18F
15th Dec 2006, 11:09
Ho Ho Stick you are showing your age! It took me a few moments though.:D

Mariner9
15th Dec 2006, 14:46
The journo forgot to add that the heroic 35 year old aircraft skilfully avoided plumeting into the nearby Nursery School :ok: