PDA

View Full Version : 747 tail strike?

matt_hooks
12th Dec 2006, 09:11
Saw an article in one of the papers about what sounded like a tail strike. Wasn't much detail but I think it said it was in Paris recently. Well, the actual headline, in typical journo hyperbole was "aircraft shatters tail" :ugh:

Anyone have any info?

FINpilot
12th Dec 2006, 09:58
It was probaply this one:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3141098/

There´s also one (not so good quality) picture.

matkat
12th Dec 2006, 11:30
All I can see in the pic is the APU doors are open!!

VS1711
13th Dec 2006, 11:58
I read the same article in The Mail. :ugh: While it was pretty clear to anyone who knew or cared a jot about aviation that they were describing a tailstrike, and anyone looking at the pictures will recognise the APU access panels, this is the kind of lazy and irresponsible writing that gives punters the heeby jeebies.

Anyone who remembers the American A300 that lost it's tail (in 2001 or 2002 coming out of New York) must have been alarmed to read the headline.

Re-Heat
13th Dec 2006, 12:08
I read the same article in The Mail. :ugh: While it was pretty clear to anyone who knew or cared a jot about aviation that they were describing a tailstrike, and anyone looking at the pictures will recognise the APU access panels, this is the kind of lazy and irresponsible writing that gives punters the heeby jeebies.
How do you know that they are not open as they have been scraped? Were you there? This is just yet another example of aviation insiders' arrogance towards straightforward journalism that avoids going into unnecessary detail.

matkat
13th Dec 2006, 13:47
How do you know that they are not open as they have been scraped? Were you there? This is just yet another example of aviation insiders' arrogance towards straightforward journalism that avoids going into unnecessary detail.
Unlikely to be open due to tail strike (though off course possible) more likely the doors are open for inspection, I was involved in a tail strike several years ago and the doors were simply worn through, without coming to conclusions closers pics would be required.