PDA

View Full Version : getting to/from Hurn

firmfist
11th Dec 2006, 17:38
Hi there

Apologies in advance if this topic is a bit inappropriate.
Am starting at Hurn in Jan. Do any of the current students or old hands have some info on the best way to get/to from Hurn every day from the centre of Bournemouth.

I've been told there's no public transport and my preferred option would be to cycle. Anyone have experience of this, or know if there are lockers we can use.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Hello in advance to anyone else starting in Jan too

Marc

The Many Tentacles
11th Dec 2006, 18:47
Also, it should be mentioned that the college is a way out of the town along a busy, read very busy, dual carridgeway. There are other ways to the college, but from the centre of Bournemouth or Boscombe (where most people seem to end up staying) it's a long way round to go any other way.

Plus, it's bloody cold in January :)

reportyourlevel
11th Dec 2006, 19:40
Agree with the above - I wouldn't fancy cycling along that dual carriageway, and I don't know if there's a cycle path. Most people car-share.

ryl

anotherthing
12th Dec 2006, 08:48
Wimps!!

Cycling is fine if you miss out the dual carriageway -... go all the way through Boscombe, past Pokesdown station, down the hill, keep following the road down and you will travel along an A class, mainly residential road until you get to the bridge that crosses the Dual carriageway.

Straight over the lights, left at the mini roundabout 3/4 a mile up the road and Bobs yer Uncle, Fannys' yer aunt. (Check the route on a map tho - it's almost, but not quite, as straightforward as that)

There are showers in the changing rooms. Its a 15 - 20 minute ride from the centre of Boscombe, unless you own a bike akin to Mary Poppins.

Dances with Boffins
12th Dec 2006, 10:01
..or there is a more agricultural route over a weir and up some paths through the fields, if you are the muddy sort of cyclist.

The hill at Pokesdown is a bit of a bar-steward on the way home though. Boscombe - Hurn takes about 30 mins on a bike, about 20 mins in a car.

Do not attempt the dual carriageway. You will die and it goes past a sewage plant which smells bad.

Lockers next to the showers are a bit in short supply, but the water is always hot.

anotherthing
12th Dec 2006, 13:17
The hill at Pokesdown is a bit of a bar-steward on the way home though. Boscombe - Hurn takes about 30 mins on a bike, about 20 mins in a car.

DWB

You must own a bike with a shopping basket on the front!! I used to average 17 mins, though you are correct, the pokesdown hill is a bugger.

And you need to be brave to cycle through Boscombe.

Cuddles
13th Dec 2006, 16:25
What are the hours of the college now? Still 9-5 or is it closer to 8 to 4?

Cheers, see you in Jan

Odi
16th Dec 2006, 20:11
Don't worry - Cuddles has caused many a traffic jam at the college!!

Just make sure that this time you don't leave your front bumper halfway along the dual carriage way...

Seriously, all the best at your new life over on "The Dark Side". And if you end up training on Moray make sure you give good clearances...

Cuddles
16th Dec 2006, 20:25
Don't worry - Cuddles has caused many a traffic jam at the college!!
Just make sure that this time you don't leave your front bumper halfway along the dual carriage way...
Seriously, all the best at your new life over on "The Dark Side". And if you end up training on Moray make sure you give good clearances...

Ah. Thanks for reminding me. That particular meeting of metals was caused by me running into the back of a traffic jam. Not helped by a police car coming the other way either.