PDA

View Full Version : Go-around to a FL instead of altitude when terrrain issues

EightsOnPylons
11th Dec 2006, 16:57
Hello,

I was just wondering why as an example a missed approach is flown to a flightlevel(FL) in for example Salzburg?

Wouldn't it be better to fly to a certain altitude based on QNH to always insure terrain clearance?

Missed approach to a FL, as in this case surrounded by high terrain and mountains just doesn't make sense.

thanks.
pt

BOAC
11th Dec 2006, 18:09
IIRC the MA in SZG heads out into the 'flatlands' so the FL is probably designed more for ATC the the a/c and is almost certainly more than safe.

Blip
11th Dec 2006, 22:32
Are you saying that the transition altitude is below the highest terrain in that country? I'd be amazed if it was.

I thought the whole point of "Altitudes" and "Flight Levels" was that:

ALTITUDES were with reference to QNH and allowed the pilot to relate the aircraft altitude with the terrain around him/her.

FLIGHT LEVELS were with reference to QNE (1013.25/2992) and meant two things. Your altimeter is indicating Pressure Altitude (good reference for aircraft performance), and it meant all the aircraft in your immediate area were refering their altitude to the same reference which is important for traffic separation. Of course the altimeter is now not a good reference for terrain clearance.

The authorities then choose a transition layer (transition altitude/transition level) that is well above the highest terrain in that country/area of authority so that QNH is used when required.

Oh and to finish my point, by definition, a climb to a Flight Level must be safe from terrain.

plain-plane
11th Dec 2006, 23:19
you can for sure hit a few of the higher parts of the terra firma at szg, while cruising around at FL's... actually just point your nose to the south and you will hit most of it while at low FL's.

lowest flight level FL60, MSA to the south 10.000.

but hey terrain terrain pull up,,,,,,, pull up

Jonty
12th Dec 2006, 08:01
Are you saying that the transition altitude is below the highest terrain in that country? I'd be amazed if it was.

The authorities then choose a transition layer (transition altitude/transition level) that is well above the highest terrain in that country/area of authority so that QNH is used when required.

Oh and to finish my point, by definition, a climb to a Flight Level must be safe from terrain.

You need to fly in Europe more! FL are regularly below MSA.

EightsOnPylons
12th Dec 2006, 13:50
a lot of terrain around. I still find it odd with the FL on the missed approach. See below
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8796/szgcr4.gif

BOAC
12th Dec 2006, 15:38
I just cannot see the problem? The procedure follows a specific path to a holding area where the MSA is 4000'. If we follow this idea we have to put the SBG hold up to FL 110 or higher. Anyone who 'points south' deserves what they get.:)

Blip
13th Dec 2006, 05:51
Why should your authorities choose to create an operational environment where aircraft reference their altimiters to QNE while they are still capable of flying into hard bits of rock?:confused:

Some transition altitudes:

Australia 10,000 ft
USA 18,000 ft
Indonesia 18,000 ft
Japan 14,000 ft
NZ 13,000 ft

One thing they all have in common is they have chosen an altitude that is well above any of the highest terrain in their particular region.

While there is any risk of contact with terrain, pilots should reference their altimiters to Mean Sea Level. How can that not be utterly sensible?

chornedsnorkack
13th Dec 2006, 09:00
Why should your authorities choose to create an operational environment where aircraft reference their altimiters to QNE while they are still capable of flying into hard bits of rock?:confused:
Some transition altitudes:
Australia 10,000 ft
USA 18,000 ft
Indonesia 18,000 ft
Japan 14,000 ft
NZ 13,000 ft
One thing they all have in common is they have chosen an altitude that is well above any of the highest terrain in their particular region.
While there is any risk of contact with terrain, pilots should reference their altimiters to Mean Sea Level. How can that not be utterly sensible?

Not true about USA. I gather that this applies to Alaska as well - and McKinley is well above transition altitude.