PDA

View Full Version : How to create a DME arc when one is not in FMGS database?

DesiPilot
11th Dec 2006, 05:48
Dear Friends,

Is there an easy way to create a DME arc when there is none in database? I would be really interested if someone knows how to do it in Airboos!!

We fly regularly to PNQ in India and it is a pain in the bum to create waypoints so that the plane will fly what looks like a DME arc but the distance varies within 0.3 nm. (I create PD points every 20 degrees with 12 dme until we get to lead in radial).

Any FMGS Gurus out there?

gearpins
11th Dec 2006, 07:19
No way out on that one:hmm:
to smoothen the arc one can increase the no of PBD's.thats the best one can do:)
good luck!!

Bearcat
11th Dec 2006, 07:42
be very very careful when doing this esp if high ground is a factor. Manually setting up a dme arc for an approach is not an approved procedure from airbus. Having said that 20 degree cuts does it very well.....careful.

kissmysquirrel
11th Dec 2006, 07:58
but I would have though that with 0.3nm, that is well within tolerance? Are you seeking perfection?:)

DesiPilot
11th Dec 2006, 14:01
Oh I wish I was a perfectionist. Nope 0.3 nm is not a problem, but creating 6-7 PBDs is (at least for Airbus ;) ). Also it is not a constant turn, not that it really matters.

I was looking for a shortcut, perhaps a way to join 2 PBDs into a DME arc, rather than a straight line.

BOAC
11th Dec 2006, 14:03
Go on, be a pilot:eek: - draw the arc on the screen (well, you can in a 737:) ) and fly the a/c around it.

Blackball
11th Dec 2006, 14:19
Ah but BOAC does one need to be RAF trained or is it OK to be "Fishead converted" in order to draw the circle?:p

West Coast
11th Dec 2006, 15:11
I've long wondered this myself. That damn box is full of useless items but something like this would be helpful. Heck, use the fix page. Desired distance around the NAVAID and drive it around yourself.

FlapsOne
12th Dec 2006, 09:08
If you regularly fly there why not get your Ops/Nav folk to get the database updated with the approriate approach??

BOAC
12th Dec 2006, 09:18
Ah but BOAC does one need to be RAF trained or is it OK to be "Fishead converted" in order to draw the circle?:p - RAF trained, of course - fisheads are notorious (and notorious for squaring the circle):)

Sean Dell
12th Dec 2006, 10:17
why not fly raw data - it really does work - even on the Airbus!

brain fade
12th Dec 2006, 19:08
For fecks sake!

Go green screen and fly with the needle at 90 deg to the heading while doing your best to keep the d at whatever it is meant to be.

Why would you want to do this with the fms?

I've done thousands of these- it's utter pimps once you get used to it.

Genuinely baffled!:hmm:

Lemper
12th Dec 2006, 19:48
For fecks sake!
Why would you want to do this with the fms?
I've done thousands of these- it's utter pimps once you get used to it.
Genuinely baffled!:hmm:

I used to think that this is because times have reach a point where the pilots fly the computer and you dino-aviataur still think of flying the plane.

Now I am convinced of it!:bored:

Brian Abraham
13th Dec 2006, 00:33
Even the humble $5,000 Trimble 2101 will do this. Not a user friendly bit of kit though.

damn box is full of useless items but something like this would be helpful

Who does design these things. Not pilots seemingly.