PDA

View Full Version : MD11 or DC10?

falcon10
10th Dec 2006, 01:04
What do you guys like better, then MD11 or DC10? Trying to decide if I should transition to the MD11. MD11 is obviously new and pays much better, but the DC10 will offer a quicker command, but still less pay. Schedules are comparable.

Any handloing/comfort differences to speak of, etc???

MDDog
1st Jan 2007, 06:05
What do you guys like better, then MD11 or DC10? Trying to decide if I should transition to the MD11. MD11 is obviously new and pays much better, but the DC10 will offer a quicker command, but still less pay. Schedules are comparable.
Any handloing/comfort differences to speak of, etc???

MD-11 is much more pitch sensitive and tougher to land... but the level of automation is an order of magnitude better and easier to work with. All else being equal, the 11 is the better job.

Gullyone
1st Jan 2007, 07:51
The left hand seat is the best show in the house. Take it while you can as things change and it may not be around forever.

md-100
1st Jan 2007, 18:51
:O :) i prefer MD100, :8

MrBernoulli
2nd Jan 2007, 09:55
I disagree significantly with Gullyone.

I gave up command to sit in the right hand seat of a modern airliner and I am VERY happy. The left hand seat is not necesssarily "the best show in the house." Perhaps status is more important to you - were you bullied at school?

flyboyike
2nd Jan 2007, 17:36

I wish my only dillema in life was the choice between two widebodies.

Rainboe
2nd Jan 2007, 18:01
The perceived wisdom throughout my career has been to grab a command when and however you can- within reason. There are a lot of advantages to having command time if the company fails or bad things happen. It may not be a good idea to give up a wide body for a turboprop command- hence the 'within reason' rider, but commonsense should tell you when to make a grab.

Gullyone
2nd Jan 2007, 19:43
I disagree significantly with Gullyone.
I gave up command to sit in the right hand seat of a modern airliner and I am VERY happy. The left hand seat is not necesssarily "the best show in the house." Perhaps status is more important to you - were you bullied at school?
I think you must have been the one who bullied me!!
Rainbow gets my meaning.

Flying_7
3rd Jan 2007, 00:25
Maybe you should look at the longer run. How many years will these magnificient 10's fly around...?!

Jeff

Gullyone
3rd Jan 2007, 06:30
Sounds like the company has both types. If so as the 10s depart the crews would usualy go to the MD11. LH seat 10 to LH seat 11.
I see that MrBernoulli is a probably a BA 777 pilot. My previous remarks re FO or Capt would only apply to someone in the real world. I have been there.