PDA

View Full Version : airfields around london

A330 Dreamer
9th Dec 2006, 19:52
what airfield around the london area would be best to base an aircraft if planning a trip to london city for a few days?

denham and redhill good possibilities?

Flybywyre
9th Dec 2006, 22:36
White Waltham..............
30 minutes to Paddington from Maidenhead station
Regards
FBW

Wrong Stuff
10th Dec 2006, 07:49
I think this one's been asked before - a search should find you some more information. IIRC the best alternatives for the city came down to Elstree, Stapleford and Southend. Denham and WW are good for west London, but a bit more hassle for the City.

My own preference would be for Elstree, a 10 minute cab ride to Elstree and Borehamwood station, then you can get a train direct to City Thameslink or Blackfriars.

scooter boy
10th Dec 2006, 08:45
Sorry to put a dampener on this but having tried to crack this one repeatedly over the last couple of decades my conclusion is that there is no straightforward access to central London by light aircraft or helicopter.

None of the peripheral airports have a simple public transport link to central London (i:e walking distance) - all involve a taxi in my experience either to the train/tube or to final destination - and most close at dusk.

As for Battersea - £210 landing fee for an R44 then half that per hour parking plus early surcharge plus late surcharge - and all to end up in a non-central part of London with no public transport links - great! The other heliport at Dagenham I have not been in to but it is also a long way out to the East.

London is an exceptionally poor destination for me to get in to by light aircraft.

Let me know if I am missing something.

For the forseeable future I will be taking the train.

SB

Cricket23
10th Dec 2006, 19:16
I wouldn't recommend Redhill at the moment as the runways are waterlogged. However, Stapleford is an option. It's 4.5 miles from Romford and then a reasonable train ride to Liverpool St.

C23

trevs99uk
10th Dec 2006, 19:40
What about Damyns Hall, right under the london City stub and the airfiled noew has an ATZ.

see

http://www.microlightsport.co.uk/MSA/Location/location.htm