PDA

View Full Version : Becker AR 3021

Lukesdad
8th Dec 2006, 11:43
I dont suppose anyone out there has any experience of the Becker AR 3021 radio?

I have one installed in my aircraft, Sometimes it works perfectly, other days it doesn't. On the days that it doesn't it lights up, displays the frequency and the PTT warning if transmitting but no one can hear the transmission.

Radio installation has been checked, aerial etc. And it has never failed in flight.

If it is having a day when it wants to work it will, if it isn't, it wont.

Any ideas out there?

Belgique
8th Dec 2006, 13:46
get an SWR meter and check/tune the antenna.
Becker's are good radios but even good radios can be crap if the antenna or leads are dud.

Lukesdad
8th Dec 2006, 14:13
Thanks, have had that done.

The frustrating thing is that when it works it's faultless when it isn't there's nothing.

kestrel539
8th Dec 2006, 20:24
Swop you my recently overhauled Microair 760 for it

Lukesdad
9th Dec 2006, 16:50
Kestrel

Thanks, I'd rather not lose the Becker, I have a certified aircraft and I'd drown under the paperwork!

I'd buy the Microair from you for the right price though.

kestrel539
9th Dec 2006, 20:06
Cannot really recommend the Microair to anyone, not after having had a Becker in a previous glider.
Has your Becker ever had the memory batts go flat;? if so, they could have leaked and caused some minor corrosion on the cct board, that may be the cause of your problem.
I can recommend Becker service in Germany, fast turn around, good communication, and they speak English.

Lukesdad
9th Dec 2006, 21:53
Kestrel

Thanks, I don't suppose you have an e-mail/website address for Becker do you?

IO540
10th Dec 2006, 07:12
The most likely cause of this sort of fault is mechanical damage, e.g. a bad connection on a component, a connector, etc.

A really good visual inspection, with a magnifier, is the best thing to start with.

At work, we have a 40x microscope and if we can't see anything with that (e.g. on an item returned by a customer claimed to be faulty but we can't find a fault) we scrap the product and give him a new one.

Also check any tall components; these are susceptible to breaking off. Tall electrolytic capacitors are the worst, yet avionics is full of them :ugh: In fact I'd simply replace any you can find, as a precaution.

kestrel539
10th Dec 2006, 10:44
Lukesdad, check your pm's

Lukesdad
10th Dec 2006, 21:17
IO540

Many thanks, advice much appreciated.