PDA

View Full Version : Discharging Fire bottles

LimpopoHippo
8th Dec 2006, 05:15
What is the maintenance action required after a fire bottle is discharged on ATR aircraft with:

1. Engine not running
2. Engine cowls open

Thnx

Piper19
15th Dec 2006, 18:24
I don't know on the ATR, but we once had a Rolls Royce RB211 on which the fire bottles were accidentally fired in maintenance.
Since the engine was not running, there was no damage to the engine itself. We just replaced the empty fire bottle, put new cartridges and cleaned the engine/cowling.

quazz
15th Dec 2006, 22:25
Just skimmed the manuals and as usual there is no useful info.

A quick question, who pulled the fire handle and why as this is sounding like an accidental thing?

The Flying Cokeman
16th Dec 2006, 12:18
Haven't flown ATR for a while now but sounds like a good wash and a new bottle and cartridge to be installed and off u go.
If it's just the fire handle pulled, u can push the handle back in and fly straight away.

Max Angle
16th Dec 2006, 14:49
As far as I know halon (which we still have an exemption to use aircraft) is a clear gas and should have no effect on the parts of the engine it contacts. It won't have gone down the core (that bit is supposed to be on fire anyway) but is discharged into the spaces within the cowling where the ancillary drives, pumps and piping etc. are housed. The halon will not damage the aircraft but will rise to the upper atmosphere were it will help to further damage the ozone layer.

mono
16th Dec 2006, 20:38
The halon will not damage the aircraft but will rise to the upper atmosphere were it will help to further damage the ozone layer.

Actually Halon is heavier than air. One of the reasons it is a good extinguishant as it falls to the source of the fire. The recovery action for reviving a person who has passed out due to hallon inhalation is to invert them. The hallon literally falls out of the lungs - conventional CPR can then be carried out.

However it does get up there eventually and is a known ozone depletor

nugpot
19th Dec 2006, 18:44
As far as I know halon (which we still have an exemption to use aircraft) is a clear gas

It is actually a clear liquid when it leaves the extinguisher. It evaporates quickly and then is heavier than air.

aeroconejo
24th Dec 2006, 18:58
Halon 1211 (or sometimes 1301) is a vapourising liquid. It has a 'de greasing' effect and removes a lot of essential lubricants on components located close to a discharge which therefore requires a major inspection.
aero

Anotherflapoperator
24th Dec 2006, 19:44
...having seen what Halon does to a fire compared to CO2 and the like, I'm more than glad we can still have access to it, and for the odd occasion it is needed, the benefits far outweigh the environmental pain.

If only I could still have a bottle at home and in the car like I used to....

aeroconejo
24th Dec 2006, 20:37
I have one at home

aero ;)