PDA

View Full Version : Night rating in 1 night

Martin @ EGLK
6th Dec 2006, 16:12
Does anyone know of a flying school that can teach the night rating in 1 (or 2) night(s) (wx permitting etc) in the S/SE/Central region?

I've heard legend of such thing!!!

Thanks,

Martin

Wrong Stuff
6th Dec 2006, 16:33
I did hear of someone starting IR training in the summer who needed to do something similar. I think they may have used Eagle Flight Training at Luton.

Son of the Bottle
6th Dec 2006, 18:02
You may be better to sort out an arrangement with an individual flying instructor.

Schools generally tend to operate fixed periods at night, which may leave you short of time.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
6th Dec 2006, 18:14
I did mine at Manston many years ago in 2 nights, but was arranged with an instructor rather than through a club. Easily do-able:ok:

EvilKitty
6th Dec 2006, 21:26
Definately give Sean at Eagle Flight a call, he's pretty flexible on times. I did most of the flying for the night rating with him last Christmas and it included flights well into the evening (landing at 9 or 10pm). The only thing I couldn't do was the 5 solo take-offs and full stops as you can't fly solo from Luton without a licence (I was doing the night to make up the hours towards the PPL)

Dr Eckener
6th Dec 2006, 22:05
You can do it from EGLK if you speak to them nicely!

Fuji Abound
6th Dec 2006, 22:16
You can do it from EGLK if you speak to them nicely!

So do Blackbushe open 24 hours by special arrangement (I know it would be less, but I guess they would need to be open until 21-00 or so to get it done in a day)

Martin @ EGLK
7th Dec 2006, 09:00
We have thought about our group AC but it's on a Private C of A.

Blackbushe can stay open late by arrangement but is only licensed till 6pm.

vancouv
8th Dec 2006, 13:50
I discussed this at Sky Leisure at Shoreham airport a while back, and they used to do it at Southend - fly up, do all the flying and then stay in a hotel before flying back to Shoreham early morning.

Not sure if that's still possible, Southend were open 24 hours, and obviosuly you'll have to fork out for the instructors hotel.....on the money they earn though even the chepest hotel will be a luxury :ok:

avidflyer
8th Dec 2006, 19:58
A night qualification in one night's flying would be some going... I've just come back from two hours with an instructor at Blackpool. I only have the 5 solo full stops and the dual crosscountry to do but I have to say that flying at an unfamiliar airfield in an unfamiliar aircraft at night in a gusty crosswind has left me completely shXX knXXXX exhausted. I was in no shape to do another three hours even if the airfield had been able to remain open. Good luck to anyone who tries it in one go!