PDA

View Full Version : Members under 18 years - Parental Consent

fireflybob
5th Dec 2006, 21:26
Sometimes we have members arriving to fly with young persons under the age of 18 years. The membership form should be signed by the parent or guardian of said young persons. Can anyone tell me what status in law this signature has? It has been suggested that the person taking the young person flying is "loco parentis" and that he/she can therefore sign the membership form.

I would be interested to hear your opinions. Thanks.

llanfairpg
6th Dec 2006, 01:07
Sometimes we have members arriving to fly with young persons under the age of 18 years. The membership form should be signed by the parent or guardian of said young persons. Can anyone tell me what status in law this signature has? It has been suggested that the person taking the young person flying is "loco parentis" and that he/she can therefore sign the membership form.

I would be interested to hear your opinions. Thanks.

Parental Consent is not needed as far as i am aware between 16-18 to fly, here is a list of what 16 means you can do/cant do

Can consent to all medical/contraceptive treatment. Can leave school, and work full time. Can join trade union. A boy can join armed forces with parental consent. You can buy cider, beer or larger to drink with a meal in a licensed restaurant if the licensee agrees. You can also drink wine with your meal but you can't buy it, and you can neither buy nor drink spirits. You can buy tobacco and cigarettes but you can't buy a butane gas cigarette lighter refill. Girls can consent to having sexual intercourse. Can choose own doctor, and must pay prescription charges unless pregnant, on low income or still at school or college. You can drive a moped. Can change your surname with your parents' consent. Can ride a horse unsupervised. Can buy party poppers, caps, throw-downs and serpents, buy petrol and liqueur chocolates and can buy a lottery ticket or scratch cards. Get National Insurance numbers. Must pay full fare on trains.
Can marry but you need your parents' consent or that of the court. (In Scotland a person may be married without parental consent). If under 16 the marriage is void. If between 16 and 18 and marry without parental consent, the marriage is valid but you are committing a criminal offence.
You can leave home without parents'consent, although legally you are in the custody/ care and control of your parents / guardian until 18 (unless in care / ward of court or married). Courts are unlikely to force you to return home unless you're in moral danger. You might be granted a tenancy of a flat by a local authority or housing association.

JumboJet1999
10th Jun 2016, 11:54
I've just discovered (the hard way) that FTOs will ask for parental permission for any flying if you're under 18.

(Old thread but worth saying to prevent anyone being misled)

parkfell
14th Jun 2016, 14:08
So you are dealing with young people under the age of 18.

Does that mean that appropriate CRB / Disclosure Scotland checks are needed for all staff who will come into contact with them at the Flying club? If not, why not.

What about in the social areas where these young people mix with other members?

Dealing with minors in their care ( duty of care etc )needs careful thought by all club proprietors

Perhaps some legal eagle may wish to comment.

MrAverage
15th Jun 2016, 08:27
From memory, as long as it's no more than about once a week, CRB not required. Unless someone knows better.................